Got Passed By A Fast Cyclist

Darktone

Jul 1, 2015
I usually ride my hybrid about 17-18 mph with bursts of 20-21 mph. Usually the only ones that pass me are guys on expensive road bikes and if I peddle hard I can stay with them for a mile or so. The other day I saw someone coming up on me fast while I was going about 20mph during one of my fast bursts. He flew by me like I was sitting still. Must have been going 25mph +. I was surprised that he appeared to be 70 years old. By far the fastest cyclist I have seen on my trails. I was impressed!

Reactions: haleylx4
When I used to ride on my mountain bike, fastest I would be able to go was at least 15 mph. This guy blew by me at like 25 mph too and that pretty much made me realize how easy it is to ride road bikes. Invested in a really good one and now I can easily hit 30 mph thanks to the endurance from the mountain bike haha.

I ride with guys of that age and I can tell you they can move and over very long distances. They can average 27-30kph over 100km rides! I also have a friend in his mid 40's who averages 32kph over 100+ kms. Me...I'm just a 24kph man :(

I think when I get my weight down 25 pounds I might look into a nice road bike. How durable are lightweight road bikes?
ZXD22- that's awesome! I can hit 24mph for a bit on flat ground but only for a bit.
Rocket Ron- what does that convert to in mph?

ZXD22 said:
When I used to ride on my mountain bike, fastest I would be able to go was at least 15 mph. This guy blew by me at like 25 mph too and that pretty much made me realize how easy it is to ride road bikes. Invested in a really good one and now I can easily hit 30 mph thanks to the endurance from the mountain bike haha.
Not a sustained 30mph right?

I initially read this as "Got Passed by a Fat Cyclist," which would have been way more entertaining.

I figure that anyone who passes me is a fast cyclist, its good for the ol' ego.

I can sustain at least 30 mph on my favorite hill - until I reach the bottom of the hill.. Then I can sustain like 10 going upslope on the next rise.

Rocket Ron said:
I ride with guys of that age and I can tell you they can move and over very long distances. They can average 27-30kph over 100km rides! I also have a friend in his mid 40's who averages 32kph over 100+ kms. Me...I'm just a 24kph man :(
27 kph is 16.7 over 62 miles.

That is not really that fast. My wife is 52 and has done a 45 mile ride averaging 17.1 MPH......... Plus she had done just under 16.0 MPH over 100 miles.

52 years old and 9 grand kids! :lol:

Mr. Beanz said:
27 kph is 16.7 over 62 miles.

That is not really that fast. My wife is 52 and has done a 45 mile ride averaging 17.1 MPH......... Plus she had done just under 16.0 MPH over 100 miles.

52 years old and 9 grand kids! :lol:
Thats good, probably been riding a very long time then?

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
At 62, not in the best shape I've ever been in, and a good 30 pounds overweight, I averaged 18.1 for a 50 mile ride last month. Flat ride, in a group. Solo rides aren't as easy. Especially in the wind.

Rocket Ron said:
Thats good, probably been riding a very long time then?

Yup! 20 years consistently. There was a period of about year that she didn't ride after donating a kidney to a family member. She was back on the bike about 3 months after the surgery but riding short slow rides. So cycling helped her with recovery a ton!

What is fun is that she is the average looking grandmother housewife looking woman that others would not expect that she could even ride a bike. But she is very strong so that adds to the fun. Some guys get very upset when they can't keep up with her.

We have done many rides with other forum members. It's funny when the goal of a few men is to not get dropped by Gina! :p

We're in California. A forum member came down from another state to visit. He said he wanted to ride with us on the trail we frequent. I asked his estimated speed and effort. I asked if I should bring my wife or did he plan on cranking it up? He said go ahead and bring her, we can slow down and wait for her if we have to. Turns out she was slowing down waiting for him! :lol:

She did very well before the donation so sometimes I think she might even be better had she not donated. But she does great so I really can't ask for more from her.

5448378720_1c288e8699_o_zps3b29c4a0.jpg

That's her in second position in blue riding with some local forum members.

GinaLine_zps3da12f6f.jpg

What makes it fun is that when people see her they say, "what? You ride a bike? Yeah sure!". Average looking grandma but she is very strong! ;)

20150904_162817_zpsm0mibets.jpg

Fantastic.
I ride with a group of guys and gals on Sundays. There are 2 women there that are about 4 foot nothing high and their bikes look like mini bikes but they beat the socks of me and many of the guys. :wub:

We have a gal that rides with us Aimee. About 5 ft tall and small. Very powerful gal. She's not in top condition right now but when she trains for her marathons, man she is fast and strong. Sometimes just for kicks we will tel her to go drop some dude on the bike if he's acting like he's competing with our crew. :lol:

Attachments

• 041512A.jpg
    041512A.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 9
Mr. Beanz said:
Yup! 20 years consistently. There was a period of about year that she didn't ride after donating a kidney to a family member. She was back on the bike about 3 months after the surgery but riding short slow rides. So cycling helped her with recovery a ton!

What is fun is that she is the average looking grandmother housewife looking woman that others would not expect that she could even ride a bike. But she is very strong so that adds to the fun. Some guys get very upset when they can't keep up with her.

We have done many rides with other forum members. It's funny when the goal of a few men is to not get dropped by Gina! :p

We're in California. A forum member came down from another state to visit. He said he wanted to ride with us on the trail we frequent. I asked his estimated speed and effort. I asked if I should bring my wife or did he plan on cranking it up? He said go ahead and bring her, we can slow down and wait for her if we have to. Turns out she was slowing down waiting for him! :lol:

She did very well before the donation so sometimes I think she might even be better had she not donated. But she does great so I really can't ask for more from her.

5448378720_1c288e8699_o_zps3b29c4a0.jpg

That's her in second position in blue riding with some local forum members.

GinaLine_zps3da12f6f.jpg

What makes it fun is that when people see her they say, "what? You ride a bike? Yeah sure!". Average looking grandma but she is very strong! ;)

20150904_162817_zpsm0mibets.jpg

She looks young to be a grandma. I think living an active lifestyle helped her look younger than her age. I just wish I could still be active and be able to ride my bike when I get older than 40

Keyan said:
She looks young to be a grandma. I think living an active lifestyle helped her look younger than her age. I just wish I could still be active and be able to ride my bike when I get older than 40
Thanks, I'm sure she will appreciate that! ;) I think so myself, of course I'm in love he he he! But yes, my parents are a sad example of lacking the active lifestyle. They have been telling me since I was 20 that the day I turn 25 I won't want to get out of bed no less exercise. I've proved them wrong and in doing so, kept my wife very healthy. Heck, we talk about where we plan to ride when we're 65 and even look beyond to 70's if all goes well. thanks to cycling! B)

Darktone said:
I think when I get my weight down 25 pounds I might look into a nice road bike. How durable are lightweight road bikes?
Actually quite durable. I had an aluminum frame smaller diameter tubes that broke after 13,000 miles. Another aluminum carbon mix that snapped at the aluminum section after 14,000 miles. I figure one was a bad design and the other twiggy tubes for my weight.

I also have a Cannondale CAD with fat tubes that I have been riding since 98 with no problems. Mush stiffer frame.

I've been riding at 230 to 280 but my frames snapped while I was at 230. I've put more weight on my current carbon fiber bike and have about 8,000 miles on it with no problems.

Riders used to say that alum was better for heavier riders. I don't believe that anymore. Well if my current carbon bike makes it past 14,000 mile I will be very happy. But back down near 230 which is my frame snapping weight so we will see! :lol:

Bigger concern is the back wheel. I like traditional 32 spoke wheels. Deep V (30 mm deep) for strength. I've thrashed too many low profile and low spoke count wheels to even think about taking that route again. I want something that lasts.. I see guys that are 230+ looking for super light low spoke count wheels, I don't understand it but oh well it's their money.

If you do get a bike, get one from a big major company. I bought Trek and if something happens to the frame, they replace it for free no questioned asked if it fails. CRASH it though and you are on your own!

I have had tow frames warrantied, both times upgrade for free as well as a new fork (not usually a requirement of the warranty).