Got Passed By A Fast Cyclist

Props to your wife for donating a kidney, Mr. B.

That's awesome!

I was flying on that 104-mile ride last month with 6,200 feet of climbing. Early in the ride I spent a match to catch up to...The Little Old Lady from Pasadena...er...a well into middle age grandma type. She had gray hair flying out from under a 20-year old Bell helmet and was riding some decrepit steel frame with enough mud and road grit on it that I had to look twice to make sure it wasn't a cross bike or mountain bike.

I complimented her on her abilities and told her she should be racing. She just laughed as she easily maintained a 19-20 MPH pace on a nearly windless morning with the humidity around 90%.

I would call her a well seasoned, well conditioned and obviously confident of her ability to zip thru a century. I went ahead and didn't see her after that, but I'll bet she was fresher than I was when she crossed the finish stripe.

Mr. Beanz said:
Thanks, I'm sure she will appreciate that! ;) I think so myself, of course I'm in love he he he! But yes, my parents are a sad example of lacking the active lifestyle. They have been telling me since I was 20 that the day I turn 25 I won't want to get out of bed no less exercise. I've proved them wrong and in doing so, kept my wife very healthy. Heck, we talk about where we plan to ride when we're 65 and even look beyond to 70's if all goes well. thanks to cycling! B)
I'm 68 Mr Beanz...age is no barrier, that's only in the mind. I have no intentions of sitting in an armchair and dreaming of yester year. And many of the guys and gals I ride with are the same age.

Mr. Beanz said:
Actually quite durable. I had an aluminum frame smaller diameter tubes that broke after 13,000 miles. Another aluminum carbon mix that snapped at the aluminum section after 14,000 miles. I figure one was a bad design and the other twiggy tubes for my weight.

I also have a Cannondale CAD with fat tubes that I have been riding since 98 with no problems. Mush stiffer frame.

I've been riding at 230 to 280 but my frames snapped while I was at 230. I've put more weight on my current carbon fiber bike and have about 8,000 miles on it with no problems.

Riders used to say that alum was better for heavier riders. I don't believe that anymore. Well if my current carbon bike makes it past 14,000 mile I will be very happy. But back down near 230 which is my frame snapping weight so we will see! :lol:

Bigger concern is the back wheel. I like traditional 32 spoke wheels. Deep V (30 mm deep) for strength. I've thrashed too many low profile and low spoke count wheels to even think about taking that route again. I want something that lasts.. I see guys that are 230+ looking for super light low spoke count wheels, I don't understand it but oh well it's their money.

If you do get a bike, get one from a big major company. I bought Trek and if something happens to the frame, they replace it for free no questioned asked if it fails. CRASH it though and you are on your own!

I have had tow frames warrantied, both times upgrade for free as well as a new fork (not usually a requirement of the warranty).
From what I understand Carbon frames are definitely stronger than Alu but at the same time more expensive. I'd buy an entry level bike from one of the major manufacturers and if you treat it right you'll have it many years. Giant are also very good value for money. The biggest problem will be that one day you will realise you have out grown the the entry level and will want to upgrade. Happened to me 8 months after buying the first road bike. I started with a Spanish make called BH Sphene 105.(alu frame with carbon forks with Shimano 105 group set) Now I have a Giant TCR Advanced 1 Ltd. (all carbon with Ultegra group set)

Thanks for all the info! I am hoping to get my weight in the range of 205-210. At that point I will be as about as lean as I can get. I am guessing my aluminum framed Schwinn Hybrid weighs in at 30 pounds with all the junk I have on it maybe a little more. I saw a nice Fuji road bike at a local bike shop that was about 15 pounds. Half of what mine weighs. I hope to be able to maintain 20mph someday on flat ground for miles.

I've definitely gotten used to people blowing past me...I've gotten a lot faster since I first started cycling but I'm usually still somewhere near the back of the group. I've also learned not to judge someone's ability based on how they look. When I first started riding I expected to be able to at least keep up with people who were significantly older or heavier than me. I very quickly learned that neither of those things are any indication at all of how strong a cyclist someone is.