Got run over and now I'm scared

xxamr_corpxx

Mar 16, 2006
Got hit by a car on Friday evening, driver claimed they didn't see me. Luckily nothing was broken or damaged, just a few scratches (On a steel bike, no real worry).

Anyway, after recovering from my injuries this week, I feel like I'm unable to ride on the road again. Just the thought of riding on the road makes me uncomfortable and makes me want to avoid it.

Any suggestions? Do I need counselling, therapy, or drugs?

I had the same worry but seemed to get over it when I was forced to ride fast again through the same area I got knocked off. Either that or be late for work.
I think you just have to ride through it and get on with your cycling. Being knocked off isn't so bad and may put you at an advantage over those guys who haven't been knocked off so far. You will be more alert now and perhaps more cautious and quicker to react.
You have to treat every driver as an idiot and never trust they'll see you. Make eye contact when possible and wear very bright gear.

xxamr_corpxx said:
Got hit by a car on Friday evening, driver claimed they didn't see me. Luckily nothing was broken or damaged, just a few scratches (On a steel bike, no real worry).

Anyway, after recovering from my injuries this week, I feel like I'm unable to ride on the road again. Just the thought of riding on the road makes me uncomfortable and makes me want to avoid it.

Any suggestions? Do I need counselling, therapy, or drugs?

I totally agree with making eye contact whenever you can. Sometimes even when they see you, they don't see you.

Bicycling magazine has a book called Bicycling Magazine's 1000 All-Time Best Tips (Revised) : Top Riders Share Their Secrets to Maximize Fun, Safety, and Performance and it has a whole section on safety: including eye contact, cycling in the road so that cars HAVE to see you (not so far off the road they can get away with not seeing you) etc. You might check that out. I found it useful in many ways.

I recently heard something you might want to keep in mind:
There are two kinds of cyclists. Those that have crashed, and those that haven't crashed YET! Lucky you. You've graduated to the other kind.
Keep biking. Don't let those bastards run you off the road!:)

Take it a little bit at a time. Start by hauling your bike to a place where there isn't likely to be any traffic and just get used to riding again. Slowly work your way up to busier and busier roads. It helps if you have someone to ride with who's been through the same thing. They'll know how hard to push you.

Same thing happin to me. i was going 30mph down a slight down hill road when a pickup pulled out in front of me. how i avoided hitting his truck is a miracle. i went over the bars and got some road rash. when i got up, i wanted to jump for joy. i was able to ride home and had minor damage to my bike. i had an un easy feeling after that accident but got over it. it does teach you to be more cautious and treat any threating motorist as if they don't see you. just about every one i ride with or have met on the roads have been hit.

I've been thinking that a mirror might be a good idea. I'd feel safer knowing when there's a lorry behind me since these drivers I find reckless.
The worst fear I have is roundabouts. I keep getting these fools trying to sweep past me from behind as I'm passing through the roundabout itself. Either that or they don't give way from the left.

zaskar said:
Same thing happin to me. i was going 30mph down a slight down hill road when a pickup pulled out in front of me. how i avoided hitting his truck is a miracle. i went over the bars and got some road rash. when i got up, i wanted to jump for joy. i was able to ride home and had minor damage to my bike. i had an un easy feeling after that accident but got over it. it does teach you to be more cautious and treat any threating motorist as if they don't see you. just about every one i ride with or have met on the roads have been hit.

lumpy said:
Got some friends for a group ride? Safety in numbers ;)

Heh Lumpy, is that you advertising Danasoft or is it someone elses pop-up that I'm seeing? :mad:

lumpy said:
Got some friends for a group ride? Safety in numbers ;)
Heh Lumpy, is that you advertising Danasoft, or is someone elses popup that I'm seeing? :mad:

DOUGEG said:
Heh Lumpy, is that you advertising Danasoft, or is someone elses popup that I'm seeing? :mad:

Sorry about that. I thought I'd disabled that signature.