Got screamed at for the first time today

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 02:23:28 GMT, "Pete" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
> this IQ deficient fool yells out his window "GIDONNASIIDEWAAALLKK!"
>
>I just yelled back, "Nope!" And he did hear me, because he looked back with a hateful glare! Oh my,
>was I terrified! LOL (c'mon, fool.....get outta the car. I'll stick that tailpipe up yer ass)

OOOO-Rahhhh!

"bandjhughes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> It was I that was the screamer yesterday. Over lunch I had to make a side trip to the hospital for
> a follow up appointment. The road around the hospital has a well posted speed limit of only 10
> mph. I got in the lane and followed two slow moving cars to the 3-way stop sign just before the
> turn in to the hospital parking lot. There was traffic at all three corners and I waited for the
> cars in front to clear. A few vehicle came up behind me as I was waiting. When it was my turn I
> started out and then glanced down because I was having a little trouble getting my right foot into
> the toe clip. Then I literally felt something in my personal space, I glanced left and saw the
> older lady who was driving a red Ford Explorer that had come up BEHIND me while I was waiting at
> the intersection, was now a few inches to my left and closing. Apparently this lady decided
> bicycles don't count as vehicles and decided to ignore the fact that I existed, ignore the fact
> that it wasn't her turn to go, and was actually passing me in the 3-way intersection that was
> chocked full of traffic from every direction with absolutely no room for passing; she made this
> decision despite me being firmly established in the center of the single Southbound lane. She
> effectively squeezed me right off the road and nearly into the curb. I'm not sure if the lady was
> hard of hearing or just pretending to be, but everyone else around for a block or two certainly
> heard me voicing my thoughts of her intelligence. The speed limit was only 10 mph and I was not
> holding up traffic even a tiny bit, what in the hell was she thinking!

Without hesitation I would lay a serious slap on sheet metal.

>BTW, did I mention I ride with a blaze orange vest? I'm kind of sure she heard me yelling at her,
>as she stayed in her vehicle after we both pulled into the main hospital parking lot, which was
>only about 30 or 40 yards past the intersection. While I was locking my bike to a tree near the
>main hospital entrance (this hospital has no bike rack) I was preparing a speech in my mind and
>planning on informing her that bicycles are vehicles too with the same rights of a motor vehicle
>and you should never pass someone in an intersection and never pass someone when you're making a
>right turn immediately afterwards. But she stayed locked in her vehicle watching me (parked in the
>handicap spot with no handicap license plate visible I might add) until I gave up on waiting for
>her and went inside. I have to admit, the thought of letting air out of all 4 of her tires came
>into my mind when I left the hospital and saw the Ford Explorer still sitting there (she was no
>longer inside); but I behaved.
>

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]

In article <OE8La.40416$3d.21513@sccrnsc02>, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> writes:

> Have you ever been to New York? Good luck even RUNNING on the most of the sidewalks, let alone
> riding at 25+.

From what I've heard, NY bike messengers have pulled-off such antics in the past, but they'd have
hell to pay if they tried it now.

Anyhow, sidewalks are generally too dangerous (and often unlawful, depending on the jurisdiction)
to ride on.

cheers, Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca

"supabonbon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> [email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > I had a really good one this morning. I'm grooving up Hudson St. in Manhattan on the fix, and
> > some nut buzzes me real close. Whatever. He's got Jersey plates, which is par for the course.
> > Hudson St. is where the Holland Tunnel lets out, so that's where all the clueless masses from
> > New Jersey get dumped on their way into the city. Naturally, I pass the guy a few blocks later
> > in slow traffic, and I make sure to fully take the lane in front of him this time, so he can't
> > pull the buzz maneuver again. This completely enrages the fellow, and he starts leaning on his
> > horn behind me. Never mind that I'm four feet from the back bumper of the cab in front of me,
> > going exactly the speed of traffic. That's irrelevant. HOOOOONNNNNK! When there's room to do so,
> > I pull into the bike lane on the left, and the irate driver pulls up beside me and rolls down
> > his window. He's this musclebound guy with a jarhead haircut and a little thin moustache. Veins
> > are popping out on the guy's forehead.
> >
> > "WHAT DO YOU THINK THE BIKE LANE IS FOR?" shouts the jarhead.
> >
> > He rages off before I can give the patently obvious reply, "Why, to double park delivery trucks
> > in, of course!" I give a beaming grin and a cheerful wave. And why not? I havcen't had this much
> > fun in a while. The jarhead is so busy scowling at me in his rearview mirror and flipping me the
> > bird that he almost doesn't notice that traffic is at a dead stop a hundred feet in front of
> > him. He slams on the brakes, and I glide smoothly by his driver-side window and give him a
> > little fingers-only wave: buh-bye.
> >
> > He never catches me again.
> >
> > CC
>
> I don't understand why you people in New York don't ride on the sidewalk. Wouldn't it be easier?
>
> /s

Have you ever been to New York? Good luck even RUNNING on the most of the sidewalks, let alone
riding at 25+.

Jon Bond

"Corvus Corvax" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> He's got Jersey plates, which is par for the course. Hudson St. is where the Holland Tunnel
> lets out, so that's where all the clueless masses from New Jersey get dumped on their way into
> the city.

And next weekend it will be the clueless Bennies and Shoobies from the city clogging up the parkway
and making it impossible to get around. ;-)

About 10 years ago I had a girlfriend out on LBI and it sucked going to her place on
summer weekends.

-Dave

>[email protected] (bandjhughes)

wrote in part:

>But she stayed locked in her vehicle watching me (parked in the handicap spot with no handicap
>license plate visible I might add) until I gave up on waiting for her and went inside. I have to
>admit, the thought of letting air out of all 4 of her tires came into my mind when I left the
>hospital and saw the Ford Explorer still sitting there (she was no longer inside); but I behaved.

Weren't there any telephones in the area to call the police? I know any number of police officers
that would have gladly issued a parking ticket. Just something for future reference.

Regards, Bob Hunt

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 02:16:32 GMT, "Pete" <[email protected]> wrote:

>That's one of the problems with bike paths and lanes. Quite often, they become required territory.
>Many jurisdictions in the US have such regulations.

It would be interesting to test the constitutional basis for those, given that bike lanes can be
significantly more dangerous for the cyclist than riding on the mian carriageway. What does the
constitution have to say about ordinances requiring people to endanger themselves for the
convenience of others?

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on
the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 22:14:04 -0700, [email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote:
>In article <OE8La.40416$3d.21513@sccrnsc02>, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Have you ever been to New York? Good luck even RUNNING on the most of the sidewalks, let alone
>> riding at 25+.
>
>From what I've heard, NY bike messengers have pulled-off such antics in the past, but they'd have
>hell to pay if they tried it now.
>
>Anyhow, sidewalks are generally too dangerous (and often unlawful, depending on the jurisdiction)
>to ride on.

Most of New York it's probably reasonably safe to ride the sidewalks, at least at non-rush-hour
times, but then, the places where it's not (ie, mostly Manhattan and other busy sections)
correspond exactly to the places where riding the streets is bad. That said, when I was in
manhattan for a couple of days in November, without a bike, most of Manhattan didn't seem much more
crowded to me than an inner city here. Distribution between crowded with cars versus cyclists bit
different, though, and no bikepaths around, let alone bikepaths that at the traffic lights get
their own set of lights.

Jasper

Fritz M wrote:

> Monday or Tuesday morning I'm commuting to work down Main Street/Hwy 287 in Longmont, Colorado.
> Speed limit is 25 mph, I'm going 28 mph, but most traffic is passing me anyway on this 4-lane
> street. A nice induhvidual behind me driving a Chevy Suburban kindly beeps his horn to let me know
> he's behind me. I kindly point at the speed limit sign that we happen to be passing at that point
> in time.
>
> It's literally been years since I've been honked at.
>
> RFM

Hi Fritz,

I worked in Boulder for 13 years and lived in Lonmont for the last 3 of those years. My best and
worst cycling experiences have been in and around that area. I have seen many many cyclists totally
ignore speed limits, stop signs and general traffic manners over the years. I was on one charity
ride in the early nineties where a seasoned rider blew through a stop sign out east on some rural
road and was flattened by a pickup. There have also been incidents where drivers have deliberately
run down cyclists. Living in a bicycle friendly area like Boulder and the Front Range has its
plusses and minuses. Wish I was back there now.

TJG

"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote [regarding the word "jarhead"]
>
> I'd be careful about that epithet. You don't want a Marine ****** at you. Pinhead might be better.

Dude. My Dad was USMC, through and through. I know a jarhead when I see one.

CC

[email protected] (Corvus Corvax) wrote in message
> When there's room to do so, I pull into the bike lane on the left, and the irate driver pulls up
> beside me and rolls down his window. He's this musclebound guy with a jarhead haircut and a little
> thin moustache. Veins are popping out on the guy's forehead.

There's an easy solution to this problem. Drag the sonofabitch out of his car and beat the living
hell out of him. It always works for me and I bet they leave cyclists alone after a good dose of
GBH. If they look too musclebound, just pull out your .45 and pop them in the forehead.

JD

[email protected] (Hunrobe) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >[email protected] (bandjhughes)
>
> wrote in part:
> >But she stayed locked in her vehicle watching me (parked in the handicap spot with no handicap
> >license plate visible I might add) until I gave up on waiting for her and went inside. I have to
> >admit, the thought of letting air out of all 4 of her tires came into my mind when I left the
> >hospital and saw the Ford Explorer still sitting there (she was no longer inside); but I behaved.

> Weren't there any telephones in the area to call the police? I know any number of police officers
> that would have gladly issued a parking ticket. Just something for future reference.

Where do you live, Mayberry, NC? Cops have better things to do than ticket 'capper parking poachers.
Hell, half of the dilweeds who "legally" park in those spaces are just lazy bastards who can very
well walk another ten feet in a parking lot. He shoulda given the car a custom pinstriping job with
the assistance of a sharp object.

Vigilance is funny.

JD

>Distribution between crowded with cars versus cyclists bit different, though, and no bikepaths
>around, let alone bikepaths that at the traffic lights get their own set of lights.

I can't speak to NYC or the Netherlands, but in downtown DC it's definitely illegal to ride on the
sidewalks. Here it's either the street or walk your bike, and there aren't many exceptions taken out
for failure to obey traffic rules.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________ ------------------"Buddy Holly,
the Texas Elvis"------------------
__________306.350.357.38>>[email protected]__________

x-no-archive:yes

> > this IQ deficient fool yells out his window "GIDONNASIIDEWAAALLKK!"
> >
> >I just yelled back, "Nope!" And he did hear me, because he looked back
with
> >a hateful glare! Oh my, was I terrified! LOL (c'mon, fool.....get outta the car. I'll stick that
> >tailpipe up yer ass)
>
> OOOO-Rahhhh!

I gotta say here, I have never heard a Marine call himself a "former Marine."

What's with that?

Pat in Texas

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 18:54:22 -0500, "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
>I gotta say here, I have never heard a Marine call himself a "former Marine."
>
>What's with that?

One hitch in the USMC and then ten years in the Army.

"JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Hunrobe) wrote in message
> > >[email protected] (bandjhughes)
> >
> > wrote in part:
> > >But she stayed locked in her vehicle watching me (parked in the handicap spot with no handicap
> > >license plate visible I might add) until I gave up on waiting for her and went inside. I have
> > >to admit, the thought of letting air out of all 4 of her tires came into my mind when I left
> > >the hospital and saw the Ford Explorer still sitting there (she was no longer inside); but I
> > >behaved.
>
> > Weren't there any telephones in the area to call the police? I know any
number
> > of police officers that would have gladly issued a parking ticket. Just something for future
> > reference.
>
> Where do you live, Mayberry, NC? Cops have better things to do than ticket 'capper parking
> poachers. Hell, half of the dilweeds who "legally" park in those spaces are just lazy bastards who
> can very well walk another ten feet in a parking lot. He shoulda given the car a custom
> pinstriping job with the assistance of a sharp object.
>
> Vigilance is funny.
>
> JD

They're usually way too busy in my town... finding high schoolers to pick on.

Jon Bond who once got pulled over by TWO cars while doing the speed limit with a headlight out, and
the guy was just looking for an excuse to search my car.... jerks.

On 29 Jun 2003 07:13:43 GMT, [email protected] (Hunrobe) from AOL http://www.aol.com wrote:

>You apparently have no clue that in large cities police officers are expected to write a certain
>number of parking tickets. It's one measure of job performance. Where exactly do *you* live?

In my city, the regular patrol officers don't bother with parking tickets. The pigs have a special
parking ticket squad -- generally older women in three-wheeled vehicles -- that travels around
ticketing people parked illegally. Meter maids is what they used to be called, but now they do more
than ticket at meters.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace I have a very good DENTAL PLAN. Thank you.
3:01:43 AM 29 June 2003

--On Sunday, June 29, 2003 3:01 AM -0500 Kevan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 29 Jun 2003 07:13:43 GMT, [email protected] (Hunrobe) from AOL http://www.aol.com wrote:
>
>> You apparently have no clue that in large cities police officers are expected to write a certain
>> number of parking tickets. It's one measure of job performance. Where exactly do *you* live?
>
> In my city, the regular patrol officers don't bother with parking tickets. The pigs have a special
> parking ticket squad -- generally older women in three-wheeled vehicles -- that travels around
> ticketing people parked illegally. Meter maids is what they used to be called, but now they do
> more than ticket at meters.
>
> --
> http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace I have a very good DENTAL PLAN. Thank you.
> 3:01:43 AM 29 June 2003

At least your meter maids aren't armed with the latest technology. Santa Monica "Parking Meter
Patrol" units, the three-wheelers, have electronic pads that alert them to meters about to expire
near to them, so they can issue the ticket the moment the meter runs out. I've gotten a ticket that
was time-stamped the exact minute the meter ran out. Sucks more than a chain on a bad crank.

"Steve McDonald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> Peter Cole wrote:
>
> I don't know why everyone puts such a negative spin on this. My feeling is that I've been
> challenged to spleen-venting -- a challenge that I relish. I find it very cathartic.

> And in the process revealed a lot about his behavior on this newsgroup. I love it when
> characters like this flame themselves and save you the trouble.

Oh, lighten up. Sorry about the fatso tweak.

"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
> In my city, the regular patrol officers don't bother with parking tickets.

In Oak Park, Illinois they do, I think, at night, when they haul in huge revenue by ticketing for
on-street parking where parking is highly regulated.

>The pigs have a special parking ticket squad -- generally older women in three-wheeled vehicles --
>that travels around ticketing people parked
illegally.
> Meter maids is what they used to be called, but now they do more than
ticket at
> meters.
>
> --

I call them Parking Nazi's.

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.