Got smoked on a small climb today !

zipp2001

Mar 30, 2007
Hey I know I'm old and carrying a few more pounds then I should. But dang this guy smoked me on one of the many roller I did today. It was like I was standing still, I'm thinking he had a hidden motor on that bike.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAZNzjxo1tY

Reactions: steve
I believe so, it was a cruiser bike and he gave me the peace sign as he flew by me.

That motor was not hidden, any more than yours was. that large hub on the rear wheel was the motor, and it is as much a hindrance as a help. the weight of those bikes is amazing! so when his battery dies, he will be working *hard* to overcome the weight, as well as the inductive drag. On the other hand, his bike does not pretend to be anything other than what it is: an easy to ride bike for short distances. Hidden motors tend to be mounted in the seat tube, and are intended to defraud tests of speed and strength. Not the same thing as an e-bike at all. That aside, those are really pretty roads, and your "motor" seems to be fairly well tuned, yourself. That hill you climbed early on, I'm sure I would have lost a lot more speed on. And without the quite visible motor on the e-bike, he would likely have never gotten close to you. Where are you? Somewhere in the Midwest? The size of the houses, and particularly the plots of land suggest something like that, anyway.

That motor was not hidden, any more than yours was. that large hub on the rear wheel was the motor, and it is as much a hindrance as a help. the weight of those bikes is amazing! so when his battery dies, he will be working *hard* to overcome the weight, as well as the inductive drag. On the other hand, his bike does not pretend to be anything other than what it is: an easy to ride bike for short distances. Hidden motors tend to be mounted in the seat tube, and are intended to defraud tests of speed and strength. Not the same thing as an e-bike at all. That aside, those are really pretty roads, and your "motor" seems to be fairly well tuned, yourself. That hill you climbed early on, I'm sure I would have lost a lot more speed on. And without the quite visible motor on the e-bike, he would likely have never gotten close to you. Where are you? Somewhere in the Midwest? The size of the houses, and particularly the plots of land suggest something like that, anyway.

The video was intended as a poke at the hidden motor theme. Shoot I heard him coming up behind me, and knew it wasn't hidden. I was just making the point that he took all the fun out of climbing by using a motor. I live in Central Massachusetts about 50+ miles away from Boston, and you best like to do hills. I also work in the 4th hilliest city in the US, and I always like a good climb. I may be a Clydesdale but that doesn't stop me from enjoying a nice rolling route.