Got the b*****d! (I hope)

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Graeme Dods, Feb 6, 2003.

  1. Graeme Dods

    Graeme Dods Guest

    Tags:

  2. Graham

    Graham Guest

  3. Paul - XXX

    Paul - XXX Guest

  4. W K

    W K Guest

    "Eddie Dubourg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Graeme Dods" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > A follow up to the recent cyclists death on the outskirts of Edinburgh
    > >
    > > http://www.edinburghnews.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=148562003
    > >
    > > (haven't seen anyone else post it yet).
    >
    > Good.
    >
    > Let's hope they nail him. Causing death by *** driving, leaving the scene of an accident, should
    > be at least 3 points and a 50pound fine.

    Dangerous? 2-10 years prison.

    But "dangerous" has to be well below the standards and obviously v.bad to a normal driver - or
    something like that. As a normal driver thinks its OK to squeeze cyclists, thats not
    dangerous. honest.

  5. "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Dangerous? 2-10 years prison.
    >
    > But "dangerous" has to be well below the standards and obviously v.bad to
    > normal driver - or something like that. As a normal driver thinks its OK to squeeze cyclists,
    > thats not dangerous. honest.

    In all seriousness, it's been interesting to listen to the police over the last weeks on the local
    news, their rhetoric has been surprisingly driver hostile - "Drivers must learn that this sort of
    behaviour is completely unnacceptable" "sentencing must reflect the serious nature of the crime" -
    I'll be interested to see what actually happens.

    I'll tune in to the local news and see what gives.

  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

  7. >Ees 404 :-(

    Eessnot for me :)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  8. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, W K <[email protected]> wrote:

    > But "dangerous" has to be well below the standards and obviously v.bad to a normal driver - or
    > something like that. As a normal driver thinks its OK to squeeze cyclists, thats not
    > dangerous. honest.

    BBC news seem to indicate that it was deliberate.

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

  9. "Eddie Dubourg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message

    > > I'd be interested in hearing about that. There's all sorts of stuff
    coming
    > out
    > > from various bits of "officialdom" stating speeding motorists/road rage
    > etc.,
    > > must be dealt with more seriously by the courts. Whether it happens in
    > reality
    > > will be interesting to find out.
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/1468589.stm
    >
    > To préçis:-
    >
    > He swerved into the cyclist. He's been released on bail and has been charged 'with driving a van
    > in a culpable and reckless manner'
    >
    > It's an interesting, and peculiarly Scottish, charge. It allows that if
    the
    > culpable homicide charge falls (death by dangerous driving or thereabouts) the less charge of
    > death by reckless driving can be invoked.
    >
    > <http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1988/Ukpga_19880053_en_2.htm>
    >
    > .-(1) If on the trial on indictment in Scotland of a person for culpable homicide in connection
    > with the driving of a motor vehicle by him the jury are not satisfied that he is guilty of
    > culpable homicide but are satisfied that he is guilty of an offence under section 2 of the Road
    > Traffic Act
    1988
    > (reckless driving), they may find him guilty of that offence.

    But he hasn't been charged with culpable homicide..?

  10. Paul - XXX

    Paul - XXX Guest

    Eddie Dubourg deftly scribbled:
    > "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message

    >> I'd be interested in hearing about that. There's all sorts of stuff
    coming
    >> out from various bits of "officialdom" stating speeding motorists/road
    rage
    >> etc., must be dealt with more seriously by the courts. Whether it happens
    in
    >> reality will be interesting to find out.
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/1468589.stm
    >
    > To préçis:-
    >
    > He swerved into the cyclist. He's been released on bail and has been charged 'with driving a van
    > in a culpable and reckless manner'

    As I was quite vociferous in my protest that the report of this drivers actions had been jumped upon
    and he had been attacked without anyone _actually_ knowing what happened, I'd now like to say that
    as we now know the truth, I would like to apologise for appearing to defend him. It had never been
    my intention to defend a driver in this way, just that I felt the original report was at best
    ambiguous, at worst plain wrong, in some aspects.

    I still, being a car driver myself, don't believe all drivers behave like this, but for those that
    do, long custodial sentences and taking away of driving priviledges for a decently long time ought
    to be much more prevalent.

    Or, as has been suggested, 'cut their goolies off' ... you know it makes sense. ;)

    --
    ...................................Paul-xxx Seti 1399 wu in 10037 hours
    http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

  11. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 06 Feb 2003 18:55:03 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

    >>Ees 404 :-(
    >Eessnot for me :)

    No, happily 200 again now. All of the Scotsman site was trashed when I tried - maybe their system
    was having a coffee break.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  12. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 19:02:04 GMT, "Eddie Dubourg" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >He swerved into the cyclist. He's been released on bail and has been charged 'with driving a van in
    >a culpable and reckless manner' It's an interesting, and peculiarly Scottish, charge.

    An interesting legal system (I like the Scots system with the "not proven" verdict). Do they retain
    the traditional punishment of CUT HIS GOOLIES OFF?

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  13. The Mark

    The Mark Guest

    Sandy Morton wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, W K <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> But "dangerous" has to be well below the standards and
    obviously
    >> v.bad to a normal driver - or something like that. As a normal driver thinks its OK to squeeze
    >> cyclists, thats
    not
    >> dangerous. honest.
    >
    > BBC news seem to indicate that it was deliberate.

    A collegue of mine knows one of the witnesses. She said the van swerved towards the cyclist. She was
    so shaken by what she had seen she that couldn't even remember the colour of the van but her young
    son who also saw it did. Apparently when he was at primary school next day the class had to draw a
    picture story and he drew a blue van hitting a bike.
    --
    Mark

  14. John B

    John B Guest

    Paul - xxx wrote:

    > Eddie Dubourg deftly scribbled:
    >
    > > To préçis:-
    > >
    > > He swerved into the cyclist. He's been released on bail and has been charged 'with driving a van
    > > in a culpable and reckless manner'
    >
    > As I was quite vociferous in my protest that the report of this drivers actions had been jumped
    > upon and he had been attacked without anyone _actually_ knowing what happened, I'd now like to say
    > that as we now know the truth, I would like to apologise for appearing to defend him.

    Then I would also like to apologise for thinking you were Paul Smith. It was a despicable
    thought of mine.

    John B

  15. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Paul - xxx <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Or, as has been suggested, 'cut their goolies off' ... you know it makes sense. ;)

    I would suggest that castration should be an option for any child or sexually motivated attack. In
    this instance a long custodial sentence would appear appropriate. At this moment in time it appears
    that he will plead guilty.

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

  16. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 20:52:31 +0000 (GMT), Sandy Morton <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> 'cut their goolies off'

    >I would suggest that castration should be an option for any child or sexually motivated attack. In
    >this instance a long custodial sentence would appear appropriate.

    It's a quote from "Not the Nine O'clock News"

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  17. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On 6 Feb 2003 07:42:18 -0800 someone who may be [email protected] (Graeme Dods) wrote this:-

    >http://www.edinburghnews.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=148562003

    "According to witnesses, the driver of the van braked hard after the collision but then drove away
    at high speed."

    Those who said that maybe the driver did not realise that he had hit anything please note.

  18. Paul - XXX

    Paul - XXX Guest

    David Hansen deftly scribbled:

    > On 6 Feb 2003 07:42:18 -0800 someone who may be [email protected] (Graeme Dods) wrote this:-
    >
    >> http://www.edinburghnews.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=148562003
    >
    > "According to witnesses, the driver of the van braked hard after the collision but then drove away
    > at high speed."
    >
    > Those who said that maybe the driver did not realise that he had hit anything please note.

    <polite cough> .. see my earlier post in this thread .. ;)

    As explained, and in mitigation, that is not what the original report said ...

    --
    ...................................Paul-xxx Seti 1399 wu in 10037 hours
    http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

  19. Marc

    Marc Guest