Got the b*****d! (I hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eddie Dubourg <[email protected]> enlightened us with:
>
>He swerved into the cyclist. He's been released on bail and has been charged 'with driving a van in
>a culpable and reckless manner'
>
>It's an interesting, and peculiarly Scottish, charge. It allows that if the culpable homicide
>charge falls (death by dangerous driving or thereabouts) the less charge of death by reckless
>driving can be invoked.

With the same sentencing guidelines?

Jifl
--
--[ "You can complain because roses have thorns, or you ]-- --[ can rejoice because thorns have
roses." -Lincoln ]-- Opinions==mine

Eddie Dubourg wrote:
>
> He swerved into the cyclist. He's been released on bail and has been charged 'with driving a van
> in a culpable and reckless manner'
>
> It's an interesting, and peculiarly Scottish, charge. It allows that if the culpable homicide
> charge falls (death by dangerous driving or thereabouts) the less charge of death by reckless
> driving can be invoked.
>

If he deliberately swerved into the cyclist he ought to be charged straight out with murder
IMO. B*****d!

Rich

David Hansen <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 6 Feb 2003 07:42:18 -0800 someone who may be [email protected] (Graeme Dods) wrote this:-
>
>> http://www.edinburghnews.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=148562003
>
> "According to witnesses, the driver of the van braked hard after the collision but then drove away
> at high speed."
>
> Those who said that maybe the driver did not realise that he had hit anything please note.

I can't access the bbc news article - it seems to crash IE and Netscape :-(

Driving away after the accident is inexcusable but one comment from the cyclist's wife I did note
was that it was a very windy day. It seems unlikely, though not unknown, that someone would
deliberately try and hit a cyclists. I'm wondering though strong wind, high sided van, light load,
did he swerve or was the van hit by a crosswind. I know that even a car can move a couple of feet on
the road in a cross wind.

Tony

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 21:42:01 -0000 someone who may be "Paul - ***" <[email protected]>
wrote this:-

><polite cough> .. see my earlier post in this thread .. ;)

Messages do cross on Usenet, as happened on this occasion.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E I will always explain revoked
keys, unless the UK government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.