Got the b*****d! (I hope)

"Eddie Dubourg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Graeme Dods" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > A follow up to the recent cyclists death on the outskirts of Edinburgh
> >
> > http://www.edinburghnews.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=148562003
> >
> > (haven't seen anyone else post it yet).
>
> Good.
>
> Let's hope they nail him. Causing death by *** driving, leaving the scene of an accident, should
> be at least 3 points and a 50pound fine.

Dangerous? 2-10 years prison.

But "dangerous" has to be well below the standards and obviously v.bad to a normal driver - or
something like that. As a normal driver thinks its OK to squeeze cyclists, thats not
dangerous. honest.

"W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Dangerous? 2-10 years prison.
>
> But "dangerous" has to be well below the standards and obviously v.bad to
> normal driver - or something like that. As a normal driver thinks its OK to squeeze cyclists,
> thats not dangerous. honest.

In all seriousness, it's been interesting to listen to the police over the last weeks on the local
news, their rhetoric has been surprisingly driver hostile - "Drivers must learn that this sort of
behaviour is completely unnacceptable" "sentencing must reflect the serious nature of the crime" -
I'll be interested to see what actually happens.

I'll tune in to the local news and see what gives.

>Ees 404 :-(

Eessnot for me :)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

In article <[email protected]>, W K <[email protected]> wrote:

> But "dangerous" has to be well below the standards and obviously v.bad to a normal driver - or
> something like that. As a normal driver thinks its OK to squeeze cyclists, thats not
> dangerous. honest.

BBC news seem to indicate that it was deliberate.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

"Eddie Dubourg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in
message

> > I'd be interested in hearing about that. There's all sorts of stuff
coming
> out
> > from various bits of "officialdom" stating speeding motorists/road rage
> etc.,
> > must be dealt with more seriously by the courts. Whether it happens in
> reality
> > will be interesting to find out.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/1468589.stm
>
> To préçis:-
>
> He swerved into the cyclist. He's been released on bail and has been charged 'with driving a van
> in a culpable and reckless manner'
>
> It's an interesting, and peculiarly Scottish, charge. It allows that if
the
> culpable homicide charge falls (death by dangerous driving or thereabouts) the less charge of
> death by reckless driving can be invoked.
>
> <http://www.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1988/Ukpga_19880053_en_2.htm>
>
> .-(1) If on the trial on indictment in Scotland of a person for culpable homicide in connection
> with the driving of a motor vehicle by him the jury are not satisfied that he is guilty of
> culpable homicide but are satisfied that he is guilty of an offence under section 2 of the Road
> Traffic Act
1988
> (reckless driving), they may find him guilty of that offence.

But he hasn't been charged with culpable homicide..?

Eddie Dubourg deftly scribbled:
> "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in
message

>> I'd be interested in hearing about that. There's all sorts of stuff
coming
>> out from various bits of "officialdom" stating speeding motorists/road
rage
>> etc., must be dealt with more seriously by the courts. Whether it happens
in
>> reality will be interesting to find out.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/1468589.stm
>
> To préçis:-
>
> He swerved into the cyclist. He's been released on bail and has been charged 'with driving a van
> in a culpable and reckless manner'

As I was quite vociferous in my protest that the report of this drivers actions had been jumped upon
and he had been attacked without anyone _actually_ knowing what happened, I'd now like to say that
as we now know the truth, I would like to apologise for appearing to defend him. It had never been
my intention to defend a driver in this way, just that I felt the original report was at best
ambiguous, at worst plain wrong, in some aspects.

I still, being a car driver myself, don't believe all drivers behave like this, but for those that
do, long custodial sentences and taking away of driving priviledges for a decently long time ought
to be much more prevalent.

Or, as has been suggested, 'cut their goolies off' ... you know it makes sense. ;)

--
...................................Paul-*** Seti 1399 wu in 10037 hours
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

On 06 Feb 2003 18:55:03 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>>Ees 404 :-(
>Eessnot for me :)

No, happily 200 again now. All of the Scotsman site was trashed when I tried - maybe their system
was having a coffee break.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 19:02:04 GMT, "Eddie Dubourg" <[email protected]> wrote:

>He swerved into the cyclist. He's been released on bail and has been charged 'with driving a van in
>a culpable and reckless manner' It's an interesting, and peculiarly Scottish, charge.

An interesting legal system (I like the Scots system with the "not proven" verdict). Do they retain
the traditional punishment of CUT HIS GOOLIES OFF?

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Sandy Morton wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, W K <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> But "dangerous" has to be well below the standards and
obviously
>> v.bad to a normal driver - or something like that. As a normal driver thinks its OK to squeeze
>> cyclists, thats
not
>> dangerous. honest.
>
> BBC news seem to indicate that it was deliberate.

A collegue of mine knows one of the witnesses. She said the van swerved towards the cyclist. She was
so shaken by what she had seen she that couldn't even remember the colour of the van but her young
son who also saw it did. Apparently when he was at primary school next day the class had to draw a
picture story and he drew a blue van hitting a bike.
--
Mark

Paul - *** wrote:

> Eddie Dubourg deftly scribbled:
>
> > To préçis:-
> >
> > He swerved into the cyclist. He's been released on bail and has been charged 'with driving a van
> > in a culpable and reckless manner'
>
> As I was quite vociferous in my protest that the report of this drivers actions had been jumped
> upon and he had been attacked without anyone _actually_ knowing what happened, I'd now like to say
> that as we now know the truth, I would like to apologise for appearing to defend him.

Then I would also like to apologise for thinking you were Paul Smith. It was a despicable
thought of mine.

John B

In article <[email protected]>,
Paul - *** <[email protected]> wrote:
> Or, as has been suggested, 'cut their goolies off' ... you know it makes sense. ;)

I would suggest that castration should be an option for any child or sexually motivated attack. In
this instance a long custodial sentence would appear appropriate. At this moment in time it appears
that he will plead guilty.

--

On Thu, 06 Feb 2003 20:52:31 +0000 (GMT), Sandy Morton <[email protected]> wrote:

>> 'cut their goolies off'

>I would suggest that castration should be an option for any child or sexually motivated attack. In
>this instance a long custodial sentence would appear appropriate.

It's a quote from "Not the Nine O'clock News"

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On 6 Feb 2003 07:42:18 -0800 someone who may be [email protected] (Graeme Dods) wrote this:-

>http://www.edinburghnews.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=148562003

"According to witnesses, the driver of the van braked hard after the collision but then drove away
at high speed."

Those who said that maybe the driver did not realise that he had hit anything please note.

David Hansen deftly scribbled:

> On 6 Feb 2003 07:42:18 -0800 someone who may be [email protected] (Graeme Dods) wrote this:-
>
>> http://www.edinburghnews.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=148562003
>
> "According to witnesses, the driver of the van braked hard after the collision but then drove away
> at high speed."
>
> Those who said that maybe the driver did not realise that he had hit anything please note.

<polite cough> .. see my earlier post in this thread .. ;)

As explained, and in mitigation, that is not what the original report said ...