Got the jiggles in my headset

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by fstweels, Jan 18, 2005.

1. fstweels

fstweels New Member

I have an American Classics headset, with o-rings which they say will self-tighten everything as they compress. (i should have known better than believe in anything self-tightening). I've followed their instructions and I still get 1-2mm lateral play in the tubing (Its not up and down play) This is apparent mostly when braking. Its no deal breaker, but them jiggles do bother me.
    It was tough to get the rings to compress in the first place - seems only a perfect and constant down force on the fork will allow for all movement to stop - do I need a special tool for this?
    If anyone has this problem please tell me how you dealt with it?

Tags:

2. meehs

meehs New Member

It sounds like American Classic might be misrepresenting their o-ring design a bit. They may claim that the o-rings allow you to make bearing adjustments without bearing download but it seems like you'll still need to tighten the headset sufficiently in order to eliminate the "jiggle" that you're talking about. If I were you I'd just loosen my stem, tighten the top-cap enough to eliminate the play (like you would with any other headset) and re-tighten the stem. I might be misunderstanding the intent of the o-ring design but I don't see how the o-rings alone could possibly provide enough downforce to eliminate the play that you're talking about.

Sounds like another American Classic $100.00 solution to a $0.50 problem. Like their "Tri-Lock" headset. LOL!