Gourmet club

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Stephanie, Feb 7, 2004.

  1. Stephanie

    Stephanie Guest

    My husband and I are interested in joining a gourmet club and we live in Pennsylvania. Any one have
    any ideas where to look to locate such a club? Stephanie Metzger

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] (Stephanie) wrote in news:11dfe54f.0402071342.51a03e73
    @posting.google.com:

    > My husband and I are interested in joining a gourmet club and we live in Pennsylvania. Any one
    > have any ideas where to look to locate such a club? Stephanie Metzger

    Sorry...you'll have go to Paris. Gourmet clubs were outlawed in Pennsylvania years ago! <G

  3. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On 7 Feb 2004 13:42:41 -0800, [email protected] (Stephanie)
    wrote:

    >My husband and I are interested in joining a gourmet club and we live in Pennsylvania. Any one have
    >any ideas where to look to locate such a club?

    Depends where you live in Pennyslvania. You could try phl.food or pgh.food if you live in or near
    either of those cities.

    -sw

  4. Sf

    Sf Guest

    On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 21:58:47 -0600, Steve Wertz
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 7 Feb 2004 13:42:41 -0800, [email protected] (Stephanie) wrote:
    >
    > >My husband and I are interested in joining a gourmet club and we live in Pennsylvania. Any one
    > >have any ideas where to look to locate such a club?
    >
    > Depends where you live in Pennyslvania. You could try phl.food or pgh.food if you live in or near
    > either of those cities.
    >
    > -sw

    LOL! According to us Westerners, ANYWHERE in PA is close to those cities.

  5. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 05:36:30 GMT, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 21:58:47 -0600, Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> On 7 Feb 2004 13:42:41 -0800, [email protected] (Stephanie) wrote:
    >>
    >> >My husband and I are interested in joining a gourmet club and we live in Pennsylvania. Any one
    >> >have any ideas where to look to locate such a club?
    >>
    >> Depends where you live in Pennyslvania. You could try phl.food or pgh.food if you live in or
    >> near either of those cities.
    >>
    >> -sw
    >
    >LOL! According to us Westerners, ANYWHERE in PA is close to those cities.

    I don't get it. PA is a moderately sized state.

    -sw

  6. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On 7 Feb 2004 13:42:41 -0800, [email protected] (Stephanie) wrote:

    >My husband and I are interested in joining a gourmet club and we live in Pennsylvania. Any one have
    >any ideas where to look to locate such a club?

    Start your own. Ask around your neighborhood, church, work site, to find if there are other foodies
    interested in getting together. A 'gourmet' or specialty food store might have local leads.

  7. stan

    stan Guest

    Stephanie <[email protected]> wrote:
    > My husband and I are interested in joining a gourmet club and we live in Pennsylvania. Any one
    > have any ideas where to look to locate such a club?

    Try asking around at local grourmet food/cookwares stores. Look in the special events section of
    neighborhood newspapers.

  8. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Stephanie <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> My husband and I are interested in joining a gourmet club and we live in Pennsylvania. Any one
    >> have any ideas where to look to locate such a club?
    >
    > Try asking around at local grourmet food/cookwares stores. Look in the special events section of
    > neighborhood newspapers.

    Might even find, like one of my brothers did, a local restaurant sponsors such gatherings. The one
    he found wasn't so much a "club" as personal lessons for a small group from the chef of a local
    bistro. They'd meet when the restaurant was closed, learn to make specific dishes and get on-the-
    spot guidance from the chef. (Of course these were featured items from the restaurant menu, with the
    goal of promoting the restaurant, but it was a win-win situation!)

    No reason why the attendees couldn't simply then plan their own get togethers, perhaps rotating from
    home to home, trying out different dishes, themes, etc. Good luck!

    Jill

  9. Marecat

    Marecat Guest

    On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 02:13:25 -0600, Steve Wertz <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 05:36:30 GMT, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>> Depends where you live in Pennyslvania. You could try phl.food or pgh.food if you live in or
    >>> near either of those cities.
    >>>
    >>> -sw
    >>
    >>LOL! According to us Westerners, ANYWHERE in PA is close to those cities.
    >
    >I don't get it. PA is a moderately sized state.
    >
    >-sw

    My hometown in north-central PA is the same proximity (give or take) to both of those cities (~4.5
    hours). I don't consider 4.5 hours to be close.

  10. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    MareCat <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 02:13:25 -0600, Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>>LOL! According to us Westerners, ANYWHERE in PA is close to those cities.
    >>
    >>I don't get it. PA is a moderately sized state.
    >>
    >>-sw
    >
    > My hometown in north-central PA is the same proximity (give or take) to both of those cities (~4.5
    > hours). I don't consider 4.5 hours to be close.

    Ohhhh.... road trip! Road trip! Marecat is packing a cooler ;)

    Michael
    --
    "The carp was dead, killed, assassinated, murdered in the first, second and third degree. Limp, I
    fell into a chair, with my hands still unwashed reached for a cigarette, lighted it, and waited for

  11. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 13:08:55 -0600, MareCat
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 02:13:25 -0600, Steve Wertz <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>>LOL! According to us Westerners, ANYWHERE in PA is close to those cities.
    >>
    >>I don't get it. PA is a moderately sized state.
    >>
    >>-sw
    >
    >My hometown in north-central PA is the same proximity (give or take) to both of those cities (~4.5
    >hours). I don't consider 4.5 hours to be close.

    Williamsport? Lock Haven?

    -s Pittsburgh w

  12. Marecat

    Marecat Guest

    On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 19:14:30 -0000, Dog3 <[email protected];not>
    wrote:

    >MareCat <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    >news:[email protected]:
    >>
    >> My hometown in north-central PA is the same proximity (give or take) to both of those cities
    >> (~4.5 hours). I don't consider 4.5 hours to be close.
    >
    >Ohhhh.... road trip! Road trip! Marecat is packing a cooler ;)
    >
    >Michael

    I now live in Houston, so it would be a looooooooong road trip to either of those cities! ;)

  13. Marecat

    Marecat Guest

    On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 13:54:23 -0600, Steve Wertz <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 13:08:55 -0600, MareCat <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>My hometown in north-central PA is the same proximity (give or take) to both of those cities (~4.5
    >>hours). I don't consider 4.5 hours to be close.
    >
    >Williamsport? Lock Haven?
    >
    >-s Pittsburgh w

    You were closer with Williamsport (1 hr. away). My hometown is Wellsboro, home of the PA
    Grand Canyon!

  14. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    On 7 Feb 2004 13:42:41 -0800, [email protected] (Stephanie) wrote:

    >My husband and I are interested in joining a gourmet club and we live in Pennsylvania. Any one have
    >any ideas where to look to locate such a club? Stephanie Metzger

    Try http://www.meetup.com/

    I've never tried it but it seems as though it should work for you.

  15. Blake Murphy

    Blake Murphy Guest

    On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 13:12:30 GMT, Frogleg <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 7 Feb 2004 13:42:41 -0800, [email protected] (Stephanie) wrote:
    >
    >>My husband and I are interested in joining a gourmet club and we live in Pennsylvania. Any one
    >>have any ideas where to look to locate such a club?
    >
    >Start your own. Ask around your neighborhood, church, work site, to find if there are other foodies
    >interested in getting together. A 'gourmet' or specialty food store might have local leads.

    if you're baptist, don't even mess with your church people.

    your pal, blake

  16. Jill wrote

    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > Stephanie <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> My husband and I are interested in joining a gourmet club and we live in Pennsylvania. Any one
    > >> have any ideas where to look to locate such a club?
    > >
    > > Try asking around at local grourmet food/cookwares stores. Look in the special events section of
    > > neighborhood newspapers.
    >
    > Might even find, like one of my brothers did, a local restaurant sponsors such gatherings. The one
    > he found wasn't so much a "club" as personal lessons for a small group from the chef of a local
    > bistro. They'd meet
    when
    > the restaurant was closed, learn to make specific dishes and get
    on-the-spot
    > guidance from the chef. (Of course these were featured items from the restaurant menu, with the
    > goal of promoting the restaurant, but it was a win-win situation!)
    >
    > No reason why the attendees couldn't simply then plan their own get togethers, perhaps rotating
    > from home to home, trying out different
    dishes,
    > themes, etc. Good luck!

    Also I'd suggest going to the Philadelphia/PA sections of www.chowhound.com and inquiring. I know
    that a number of cities e.g. NYC and Chicago have quite active "chowhound" groups that meet up at
    people's homes for potlucks, go on restaurant crawls, wine tastings, etc. The NYC group has had
    several very large gatherings (having to rent a public space) where all are welcome, the only
    proviso being that folks bring food whether it be home made or store - bought (people come from all
    over the country for some of their events). The Chicago group has it's own listserv and does a lot
    of resto touring in cheap ethnic places, etc. besides having events in people's homes....

    Also I'd suggest calling the local paper (if it's big enough to have a food section) and asking them
    about this...I'd bet they have some tips.

    --
    Best Greg

  17. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:57:26 GMT, blake murphy <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 13:12:30 GMT, Frogleg <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On 7 Feb 2004 13:42:41 -0800, [email protected] (Stephanie) wrote:
    >>
    >>>My husband and I are interested in joining a gourmet club and we live in Pennsylvania. Any one
    >>>have any ideas where to look to locate such a club?
    >>
    >>Start your own. Ask around your neighborhood, church, work site, to find if there are other
    >>foodies interested in getting together. A 'gourmet' or specialty food store might have
    >>local leads.
    >
    >if you're baptist, don't even mess with your church people.

    What? Baptists don't eat? Or cook? News to me.

  18. On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 02:13:25 -0600, Steve Wertz <[email protected]>
    arranged random neurons, so they looked like this:

    >On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 05:36:30 GMT, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>LOL! According to us Westerners, ANYWHERE in PA is close to those cities.
    >
    >I don't get it. PA is a moderately sized state.

    I think she may be referring to a Californian's notion that there's a Left Coast and a Right Coast
    and everything in between must easily commutable OR SoCal traffic is so gawdawful that we think
    everyone else's commute must be a snap in comparison. Just guessing, mind you.

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had been as old as the bird, and if the
    bird's breasts had been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very good dinner." Anonymous.

    To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

  19. Blake Murphy

    Blake Murphy Guest

    On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:26:13 GMT, Frogleg <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:57:26 GMT, blake murphy <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>>Start your own. Ask around your neighborhood, church, work site, to find if there are other
    >>>foodies interested in getting together. A 'gourmet' or specialty food store might have
    >>>local leads.
    >>
    >>if you're baptist, don't even mess with your church people.
    >
    >What? Baptists don't eat? Or cook? News to me.

    instead of replying directly to the question, i'll tell a joke.

    q: if you're going on a fishing trip, why should you invite either zero baptists, or more than one?

    r: if you invite only one, he'll drink all your beer.

    your ex-presbyterian pal, blake

  20. Sf

    Sf Guest

    On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 18:12:12 -0800, Terry Pulliam Burd
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 02:13:25 -0600, Steve Wertz <[email protected]> arranged random neurons, so
    > they looked like this:
    >
    > >On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 05:36:30 GMT, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >>LOL! According to us Westerners, ANYWHERE in PA is close to those cities.
    > >
    > >I don't get it. PA is a moderately sized state.
    > >
    > I think she may be referring to a Californian's notion that there's a Left Coast and a Right
    > Coast and everything in between must easily commutable OR SoCal traffic is so gawdawful that we
    > think everyone else's commute must be a snap in comparison. Just guessing, mind you.

    I wasn't talking about traffic patterns, I was talking about physical size. PA is the 33rd largest
    state, California is the 3rd largest state. Period.