GP 4000 S(hit)...

Volnix

Feb 19, 2011
Right...

So I got these "wonder tires".

I have about 2000km on them and I just noticed that the sidewall on my front tire is shredded and a bit of the tube is swelling out.

Should I ask for a warranty claim? Or just toss them and get another tire?

I'm not gonna change the rear one probably.

Are these GP 4 Season any good? Or are they GP 4 S(hit)eason as well?

Seems like endless complaints about sidwall damage with these tires. I don't understand why their hardcore fans on this forum like them so much.

I can't imagine Conti is going to honor a warranty claim on a worn tire when there's no way to prove the mileage, nor do they make any mileage/life guarantees.

Originally Posted by AyeYo
Seems like endless complaints about sidwall damage with these tires. I don't understand why their hardcore fans on this forum like them so much.

It's because they are crazy-fast clinchers and they don't get flats or cuts like the equivalent Vittorias. They are either a super fast training tire or reliable racing tire or something.

Just flipped rear/front and got one of these for the rear... The tear might have been caused by me hitting reflective studs whilst avoid babies. Didn't happen with my old wired Specialized Espoir ones not even after 5000km. 44 euro these @#%^& tires costed, each!

26 euroz...

F@ck cycling lane babies and f@ck Conti...

Maxis Detonator. Yeah I got them in dual color (Only ones in the shop and I just couldn't be bothered)... Don't even bother telling me about disadvantages of dual color compounds.
big-smile.png
I-Phone, I-Tunes, Dura-Ace D-I-2, "I" give up!!!
big-smile.png

Rock my @#%&*

I was probably these reflective studs whilst dodging babies or sh^ty sidewall tear reinforcement...
sad.png

0.jpg

Every sidewall damage I have experienced is from a rock. They get pinched between the road and tyre and get flung out past the sidewall at a rapid rate of knots.

My Pro4s do that multiple times per ride without cutting up the sidewalls though.

I've had a couple of sidewall fails with the tan-sidewall 3000's, but never on the 4000's so far. For me, they have been trouble-free, the only tires I can get my full mileage on without cut-thru or punctures. They last 3500-4000 miles for me on the back, fronts almost forever. But I ride smooth roads, little if any gravel, and avoid potholes and road hazards pretty well.

Plus, I keep inflation to 100-110 psi max. Believe Conti rates their puncture-resistance at 95 psi.

The older Michelins never did right by me. I recall cuts and punctures a lot. Last ones I used were the Pro 3's, which cut-thru on about my second or third ride on them. After that experience, haven't gone back to Michelins. New Pro 4's are likely more durable, but just haven't tried them. A buddy uses the cheaper Lithion training tire and thinks they are a much better deal than the Pro Race tires for us casual riders.

Everyone's conditions and values are different, which is why so many tires are on the market. The most fragile tires I've used lately have been the Vittoria Open Corsa CX's. Great race tires, super ride and road feel and grip, but I couldn't go 1000 miles on them without a cut-thru or puncture. At least the box came with a warning, something like : "These are high performance race tires for smooth road courses only....avoid gravel and debris" ...

Originally Posted by dhk2
Plus, I keep inflation to 100-110 psi max. Believe Conti rates their puncture-resistance at 95 psi.

Conti says (like I give a flying f@ck what Conti says anymore) that they should run between 110 - 120 (max) psi. Aaaaaaaaaaaaand you can add 5 psi for racing!
big-smile.png

I just checked them and the sidewall is indeed paper thin... The weight is the same as the Maxxis Detonator ones, but first ride on them I felt quite a bit of road vibration from the rear, or maybe I was biased.

Anyway, on the next tyres definitely checking for some sidewall reinforcement. They are not that much heavier anyway... Maybe they will be nice and smooth too!
smile.png

I have been using GP 4000s and 4 seasons for the last 4-5 years, no problems with the sidewalls (or anything else). I used to use Ultra Race, about half the price and ride nicely, but I got too many flats (but also no problems with the sidewalls). I ride a fair amount of chip-seal roads, and occasionally a short stretch of dirt road.

I'll occasionally try something else but always end up going back to the Conti GP4000S.

Life is too short to ride on **** tires.

Tires are the only thing between your bike and the road. Spending more than just a few grand on a bike and using something other than the best tire for the job in order to save $10 is dumb...

Reactions: Dansky
Originally Posted by swampy1970
I'll occasionally try something else but always end up going back to the Conti GP4000S.

Life is too short to ride on **** tires.

Tires are the only thing between your bike and the road. Spending more than just a few grand on a bike and using something other than the best tire for the job in order to save $10 is dumb...
The sidewall got teared. The tube was swelling out. I went through some loose stone paths with a pair of 10 euro Kendas and that didn't happen.

The sidewalls are kitchen - wrap thin and they dont have any reinforcement.

Faster? Sure... "Nicer"? Maybe... Safe? Maybe not.

Strange - I typically ride mine puncture free until either the center of the tire has a flat spot or the rubber starts to crack due to heat/age hardening. The 100+F days in NorCal will do that to rubber.

I ride on these kid of roads all the time using either 23 or 25mm GP4000S tyres. It's not uncommon to get a mark on the sidewall from a stone that has flicked up, but failure is extremely rare. About once per year is how often I have the sidewall either torn out or damaged enough to see the tube bulge out. I get quite a few pinch flats but I practically never get standard punctures.

Pinch flats? What pressures do you run?

I'm currently running 23mm Conti GP4000S on Flo30's - which are almost 25mm wide. 95psi back and 90 psi front seem to handle my vast heft very well. The width of the tire matches the rim perfectly. On 19mm rims I was running 110 front and 115 rear. Whilst I wasn't running over a lot of unpaved/gravel roads, there were more than just a few km's of gnarly chip and seal roads with some 'fun' potholes.

Maybe it's the fact that we're gearheads and more than likely pay a bit more attention to tire pressure before rides that gets out success... I check my tires every ride. Even with butyl tubes I still check every day.

Originally Posted by swampy1970
Strange - I typically ride mine puncture free until either the center of the tire has a flat spot or the rubber starts to crack due to heat/age hardening. The 100+F days in NorCal will do that to rubber.

You're in the arctic?
big-smile.png
It gets up to 40+C here in the summer (104F).
big-smile.png

Anyway, new rear tire and -unfortunately- an allready worn GP4000s on the front, which is not to be trusted that much probably.

It might be a good idea to get something with some more sidewall reinforcement on the next set...

Originally Posted by cheetahmk7
About once per year is how often I have the sidewall either torn out or damaged enough to see the tube bulge out.

Бullshiт...

0.jpg

I have ridden around 30k m on gravel roads this week but I did get one pinch flat.

swampy1970 said:
Pinch flats? What pressures do you run? I'm currently running 23mm Conti GP4000S on Flo30's - which are almost 25mm wide. 95psi back and 90 psi front seem to handle my vast heft very well. The width of the tire matches the rim perfectly. On 19mm rims I was running 110 front and 115 rear. Whilst I wasn't running over a lot of unpaved/gravel roads, there were more than just a few km's of gnarly chip and seal roads with some 'fun' potholes. Maybe it's the fact that we're gearheads and more than likely pay a bit more attention to tire pressure before rides that gets out success... I check my tires every ride. Even with butyl tubes I still check every day.
I have 23's on the front and 25's on the back using butyl tubes and 100 psi front and rear. I have been using the Flo30's for a week now. I got a pinch flat on my first gravel ride with them but have been fine since. The big thing is to concentrate and avoid the larger stones. Day dream and hit a larger stone dead on and there is around a 50% chance of getting a flat. Avoiding the rocks gets harder the faster I go so I generally try and do most of my intervals on the tarmac.

Cheetah, I'll go out on a limb here and say that GP4000s are not the tires for your application. Suggest you fit something wider and tougher for your gravel riding so you don't worry about pinch flats and killing tires every time you're out.

If your current bike won't fit 30 or 32 mm tires (mine won't), I'd suggest a second cyclocross bike for the gravel roads. Everyone needs more than one bike anyway.....you've actually got a good reason to get one.