GP 4000 S(hit)...

GP4000Ss are a little overrated by some (I figure they're just a 'nice' rear training tyre, I ride on good roads), but I haven't had any more sidewall problems with them than I've had with any other tyre.

It really surprises me that they do well on the rolling resistance tests

Originally Posted by 531Aussie
GP4000Ss are a little overrated by some (I figure they're just a 'nice' rear training tyre, I ride on good roads)

It seems that they are designed to be a very nice all-round tire, -for a short period of time.-

Quote: Originally Posted by cheetahmk7
About once per year is how often I have the sidewall either torn out or damaged enough to see the tube bulge out.

Once a year? You throw away 50 euro per year on a single tire and you still think they are good? I hoped to get at least 5000km out of them. I had 5000km on a pair of Specialized Espoirs and the only thing that happened to them were some small cuts. I had a few flats. Like 4 in total. With GP's I only had one double flat but @#% knows what I went over. It was night too.

Maybe I would go for Gatorskins, since these are "reinforced" in the sidewall. But true Conti-style these will probably fail somewhere else at 2000km. Like the bead is gonna break or something... The 4 season ones are 60euro each.
big-smile.png

531Aussie said:
GP4000Ss are a little overrated by some (I figure they're just a 'nice' rear training tyre, I ride on good roads), but I haven't had any more sidewall problems with them than I've had with any other tyre.   It really surprises me that they do well on the rolling resistance tests
Just a nice tire? For such blasphemy you should stick your head in the Pacific Ocean near an effluent outflow pipe and drink!!!

Originally Posted by dhk2
Cheetah, I'll go out on a limb here and say that GP4000s are not the tires for your application. Suggest you fit something wider and tougher for your gravel riding so you don't worry about pinch flats and killing tires every time you're out.

If your current bike won't fit 30 or 32 mm tires (mine won't), I'd suggest a second cyclocross bike for the gravel roads. Everyone needs more than one bike anyway.....you've actually got a good reason to get one.
Riding my roadie on gravel roads isn't ideal, but 90% of my riding is done on bitumen with the other 10% ridden on gravel in order to string some loops together. I live around 5 hours West of Sydney and if I stuck solely to bitumen I would have a very limited choice of roads to ride, but by throwing in the occasional gravel section my options multiply 10 fold.

I strongly considered getting a cyclocross bike but in the end I decided to spend the money (plus more) on a good coach. I doubt my bike will take anything wider than 25mm tyres and the reason I have 23's on the front is because they last so long. edit - i.e. the tyre refuses to wear out and I won't replace a perfectly good tyre

Originally Posted by Volnix

Once a year? You throw away 50 euro per year on a single tire and you still think they are good? I hoped to get at least 5000km out of them. I had 5000km on a pair of Specialized Espoirs and the only thing that happened to them were some small cuts. I had a few flats. Like 4 in total. With GP's I only had one double flat but @#% knows what I went over. It was night too.

Maybe I would go for Gatorskins, since these are "reinforced" in the sidewall. But true Conti-style these will probably fail somewhere else at 2000km. Like the bead is gonna break or something... The 4 season ones are 60euro each.
big-smile.png
Losing one tyre per year is no great loss. The rubber on them tends to go hard before I wear them down anyway. It's not like these tyres are 50 Euro either. You can often get two of them for that price.

I think people either don't realise that rubber heat/age hardens or just chose to ignore it. For me it's not about how many miles I get out of a tire, it's about how many "smiles per mile" I get in the corners and downhills and how supple it rides. It's not like these things are limited use/special event only tires like the Supersonic or Conti Olympic tub. Of course if you're constantly getting punctures then it doesn't matter how well the tire rides or grips -which is what the Vittoria open tubulars were like for me. After a couple of weeks riding those, I was starting to wonder whether I should carry a small seat or knee pads to make changing tubes more palatable on country roads... The tires rode nice and gripped well but getting a couple of flats per week sucked ass.

Originally Posted by cheetahmk7
Losing one tyre per year is no great loss. The rubber on them tends to go hard before I wear them down anyway. It's not like these tyres are 50 Euro either. You can often get two of them for that price.

You might find them on e-shopping for 70 the pair, plus shipping they go around 80... Anyway, the sidewalls are @#%^&.

That sale price looks to be over. Still on adwords though so it may be honoured if you press the point.

Edit: Chain reaction has them even cheaper. 22 Euro each.

That sale price looks to be over. Still on adwords though so it may be honoured if you press the point.

Edit: Chain reaction has them even cheaper. 22 Euro each.

яight...

0.jpg

I had some Schwalbe tires on the Cracken(fail) and they were scary bad. **** came off the bike within a matter of days.

Think I need new tires? Flat topped and cracking...

I just checked my last Wiggle order. 2 x 25mm GP4000S clinchers, 5 Continental tubes and delivery for A$82.34 or 57 Euro. That was 19 months ago. One of the tyres failed after having the side ripped out after clipping a decent sized rock, but the other tyre is still going fine.

Originally Posted by swampy1970

Just a nice tire? For such blasphemy you should stick your head in the Pacific Ocean near an effluent outflow pipe and drink!!!
Ha. Well, yeah nah, a lot of people like them, but I dunno what the fuss is about. I don't find them particularly supple at all. For a start, there's too much rubber on them to be super-fast, and he seems like hard rubber. If I did a blind test with a Four Seasons, I doubt I could tell the difference.

And what's with the tread on the sides?! That ***** me. I doubt it'd do anything in damp weather. I've had a few big cuts that I didn't see coz they were 'cannonflauged' in the tread

Evo Corsas **** all over them. I even prefer Pro 3s, and even 'regular' Pro 4s!!!

Having said all that, I have 4000Ss, on the rear of most of my bikes, because they're not too pricey, and seem moderately durable and puncture resistant. I also often race with one on the rear, but that's only coz I ride to races and detour a fair way afterwards if the race wasn't hard enough.

Originally Posted by swampy1970

Of course if you're constantly getting punctures then it doesn't matter how well the tire rides or grips -which is what the Vittoria open tubulars were like for me. After a couple of weeks riding those, I was starting to wonder whether I should carry a small seat or knee pads to make changing tubes more palatable on country roads... The tires rode nice and gripped well but getting a couple of flats per week sucked ass.
I dunno what 'your' roads are like (looking at your scuffed Conti, I'd say not great), but;......

I've got some Vittoria Evo Corsa CXs that I was keeping for races only. I wasn't using them enough, so I decided to put 2 of the them on front wheels to also train on, and I've been shocked at how long they've lasted, and that they haven't punctured or cut up

I ride a mix of roads. Some are nice asphalt, most chip and seal, some are compressed gravel. My sidewalls get scuffed cause I don't go around corners like a *****. Lean over damnit :p Lol

Originally Posted by 531Aussie
I dunno what 'your' roads are like (looking at your scuffed Conti, I'd say not great), but;......

I've got some Vittoria Evo Corsa CXs that I was keeping for races only. I wasn't using them enough, so I decided to put 2 of the them on front wheels to also train on, and I've been shocked at how long they've lasted, and that they haven't punctured or cut up
I had the tubular Evo Corsa CXs on my race wheels. The rear tyre got cut up and flatted in next to no time at all and I replaced it with GP4000S. Fast forward by about two years and the Evo Corsa CX on the front is still going strong whilst the rubber on the GP4000S has perished quite badly.

I had the tubular Evo Corsa CXs on my race wheels. The rear tyre got cut up and flatted in next to no time at all and I replaced it with GP4000S. Fast forward by about two years and the Evo Corsa CX on the front is still going strong whilst the rubber on the GP4000S has perished quite badly.
That sounds about right. I think I've had the Evos for about 5 years, but they're still fine. I was worried that they might have a shelf life, but I don't think they have :)

Some generalisations washing around here, without much to back them up.

GP4000s's since they came out, i.e. a number of years. 10K km per year, on a lot of pretty rough forest roads. I get well over 5000 km per pair, and have never in that time had a single puncture, much less side-wall damage.

Wouldn't swap them for anything.