GP 4000 S(hit)...

Originally Posted by cheetahmk7

Yes 90% chip and seal and 10% gravel as a guess. They just seem to wear really slowly for some reason. I suspect most wear happens when accelerating away from intersections and whilst cornering and those conditions almost never happen in my location.
Whenever I take off from a intersection I burn rubber too.
confused.png

Froze said:
So you sent your hubs to Flo and they built them using your hubs?
No, I bought the rims from Flo and took them to a local builder. Rims are available individually from flo's website.

Originally Posted by swampy1970

No, I bought the rims from Flo and took them to a local builder. Rims are available individually from flo's website.
Thanks for the info, I didn't know they sold just the rim, cool.

I can see a light rider getting 6,000 miles out of a front tire. Maybe. Under ideal conditions. With some luck.

A rear?

The best I can pull out of a racing tire is around 1500 miles. I got maybe 1500-2200 miles out of Vredestein training tires. Those tire were all still rideable, but had casing threads showing when I pulled them from the rim. I go 165 pounds and ride a mix of asphalt and chip & seal. I do my best to stay off dirt/gravel.

I generally get a 2:1 or 3:1 wear rate to the front tire, so maybe 2500-3000 miles per front to 4000 miles if the stars align correctly. The front usually gets tossed when the tread is paper thin or just starting to peel.

When I accelerate away from a stop sign I leave gray tire smoke so thick even Chuck Norris' eyes tear up.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
I can see a light rider getting 6,000 miles out of a front tire. Maybe. Under ideal conditions. With some luck.

A rear?

The best I can pull out of a racing tire is around 1500 miles. I got maybe 1500-2200 miles out of Vredestein training tires. Those tire were all still rideable, but had casing threads showing when I pulled them from the rim. I go 165 pounds and ride a mix of asphalt and chip & seal. I do my best to stay off dirt/gravel.

I generally get a 2:1 or 3:1 wear rate to the front tire, so maybe 2500-3000 miles per front to 4000 miles if the stars align correctly. The front usually gets tossed when the tread is paper thin or just starting to peel.

When I accelerate away from a stop sign I leave gray tire smoke so thick even Chuck Norris' eyes tear up.
This makes a bit more sense and is closer aligned with what other forums I've read and from my own experiences average on a tire. I rotate my tires so I would never get 6,000 miles on a front because it's not a safe idea to have a very worn tire on the front due to possibility of a flat and wiping out; so when the rear wears down to the point of replacing I move the front tire to the rear and put a new tire on the front.

You must be younger than me because I can't get my bike to accelerate enough to get Chuck Norris eyes to tear, however I did it again in front of Cheech Marin and I asked him what he thought when I did that he said I was going up in smoke.

I get a lot of miles out of the GP4000 on the rear. EG, last two tires went 3150 and 4036 miles. The shorter-life was due to a change-out for a sidewall cut. Tire was still holding fine, but I wanted to have a fresh one on for a big trip and not worry about the cut. Last one went all the way until the wear dots disappeared. Current one has been on the rear for 4005 miles now, with indicator holes just about gone. All readings are accurate, as I keep a careful log book with dates and odometer readings.

Like CB, have found the fronts last at least twice as long as the rear tire. My practice recently with the GP4000's has been to buy them in sets of three, and leave the front tire in place while wearing through two rear tires.

My guess is that road conditions and power output make a big difference in rear tire life. At 190 lbs (ok, well 205 now winter weight), but I don't apply much power to the pedals anymore. On hills I'll gladly change down to the granny ring, often easing up in 30/27 just because I'm in no hurry.

So in terms of miles, the GP4000s have proven to be worth the money to me and they give me lots of worry-free miles. I'm basically a cheapskate, don't care to spend much on the bike or kit, but I do think that tires are one place where money can be well-spent.

Quote by OBC:
"This year I'm trying Bontrager road tires. OK, I work for a Trek dealer..."

What's your opinion of Bontrager Hardcase tires. So far, I find them to be dead, stiff, a little slippery (in the dry) and...well, hard. Some of that may be the winter temperature and frozen roads. Some of it may be the Bontrager wheels. Dropped the pressure and still no love. I'll ride them through the winter and swap on some Pro4's in a couple months.
The AW3s that I'm using, and the AW2s that we stock and I've been recommending to anyone who balks at paying MSRP for Gatorskins, are Hard Case Lite. They are pretty darned supple and grippy, especially the 3s. When the weather's below freezing I ride pretty conservatively anyway. Is there any road clincher that really sticks when it's really cold out? I do find I'm cornering harder on dirt and gravel, but that might be the extra width talking.

The full-on AW1 Hard-Case has extra plies throughout the casing and is stiff and heavy. But if a Specialized Armadillo is what you're used to, you'll probably find these a considerable improvement.

Thanks for the information, OBC. The Emonda came with R1 Hardcase Lite 23 MM tires. I agree...trying to get a good feel for a tire when the roads are frozen and the air temps are stoopid cold and I'm in two pairs of gloves. Plus the fact that these tires are an unknown to me...as are the wheels and the frame.

Still, they do feel more than a little stiff. Even after dropping air pressure. I'll ride them out and hopefully get a few warm, Spring rides (Dream on! It was minus 3 this morning and only 10 now.) on them before putting the winter beater up for the Summer and jumping back on the Wilier.

BTW, the Emonda frame is pretty good. Stiff as a board front and back. Just the way I like 'em! Now...about that bizarre H2 headtube...

Quote by Froze:
"You must be younger than me because I can't get my bike to accelerate enough to get Chuck Norris eyes to tear, however I did it again in front of Cheech Marin and I asked him what he thought when I did that he said I was going up in smoke."

John Force saw me ride away from a green light and asked me to father his daughter's children.

Young? Hell, I'm older than Huskey! We calculate our age in eons and epochs! Epic epochs, at that!

Thanks for the information, OBC. The Emonda came with R1 Hardcase Lite 23 MM tires. I agree...trying to get a good feel for a tire when the roads are frozen and the air temps are stoopid cold and I'm in two pairs of gloves. Plus the fact that these tires are an unknown to me...as are the wheels and the frame.

Still, they do feel more than a little stiff. Even after dropping air pressure. I'll ride them out and hopefully get a few warm, Spring rides (Dream on! It was minus 3 this morning and only 10 now.) on them before putting the winter beater up for the Summer and jumping back on the Wilier.

BTW, the Emonda frame is pretty good. Stiff as a board front and back. Just the way I like 'em! Now...about that bizarre H2 headtube...
The R3s are definitely more supple.

Glad you're liking the Emonda. These bikes have a way of growing on you. I wasn't too sure about the Madone (2012) when I first got it, but I'm liking it better with every ride now. Maybe the fatter tires have something to do with that. Trek sent me a new Bontrager Serano saddle, and I'm digging that a lot, too.

I feel the same way about H2. H-one-and-a-half would really be perfect, in my opinion.