GP 4000 S(hit)...

Originally Posted by bing181
GP4000s's since they came out, i.e. a number of years. 10K km per year, on a lot of pretty rough forest roads. I get well over 5000 km per pair, and have never in that time had a single puncture, much less side-wall damage.
Similar to my experience with them. Well, I've had a couple of punctures, but they've given me more miles and taken more abuse than I've had a right to expect.

Originally Posted by bing181
Some generalisations washing around here, without much to back them up.

GP4000s's since they came out, i.e. a number of years. 10K km per year, on a lot of pretty rough forest roads. I get well over 5000 km per pair, and have never in that time had a single puncture, much less side-wall damage.

Wouldn't swap them for anything.
Same here, no punctures other than a pinch flat years ago which didn't damage the tire. I'm a cheapskate, but have found they give the most miles per dollar relative to the others I've tried. But we all ride on different roads and conditions, and any tire can be cut and ruined if we are unlucky enough to hit something sharp just right. Haven't tried the Conti Four Seasons, which has an extra layer of sidewall protection and heavier weight. I'd think it would make a great choice for any riding involving a mix of paved and gravel or dirt roads.

^ Exactly!! This suggests that they're a durable training tyre, like I more or less said :)

Got an email from "Ludwig":

You think it's worth the fiver to send them over?
sad.png

Quote:
Code:
 Dear Mr. Volnix we regret, that you have problems with our products. It is unfortunately not possible for us to provide a diagnosis or failure analysis remotely. Please send the defective tires for analysis to the following address. Continental Reifen Deutschland GmbH Quality Management Bicycletires You can also handle this complaint by the dealer from whom you purchased the tires. Mit freundlichen Grüssen / Best regards, Qualitätsmanagement & Technischer Kundendienst Quality Management & Customer Service Fahrradreifen / Bicycletires Continental Tire Division

Originally Posted by 531Aussie
^ Exactly!! This suggests that they're a durable training tyre, like I more or less said :)
You should try the GP4000S on some fun descents...

... oh wait, there aren't any on Beach Rd.

And you call yourself a cyclist :p

devil.png

Originally Posted by swampy1970

You should try the GP4000S on some fun descents...

... oh wait, there aren't any on Beach Rd.

And you call yourself a cyclist :p

devil.png
Ha, I raced tonight with an "average" GP4000S on the rear and Corsa CX on the front. I mighta done better had I changed it. Ha.

2,000 kilometers on a tire? That is an exceptionally long-wearing piece of rubber! Did you hit a few curbs now & then, on your rides? That may explain some of the wear & tear you notice. Did you feel satisfied with the feel, grip, and rolling resistance? I would say if your answer is yes, then you hit the jackpot by selecting these tires. I know there are so many awesome tires to choose from, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it! I assume you didn't get stranded by a flat, or else that would have been included in your post. I couldn't do better than to recommend a tire that has already proven its worth to you.

2000km is nothing. I have 9000 km on one of my GP4000S tyres and it looks to have a lot of life left in it.

Quote by cheetahmk7:
"I have 9000 km on one of my GP4000S tyres and it looks to have a lot of life left in it."

Front tire?

CAMPYBOB said:
Quote by cheetahmk7: "I have 9000 km on one of my GP4000S tyres and it looks to have a lot of life left in it." Front tire?
Two thirds of the time was spent on the front and it has been on the rear since May. Thinking about it I have overstated the mileage as that included time spent on my indoor trainers that didn't use these tyres, so 6000km may be a more realistic estimate. Looking at the tyre, there is plenty of tread left but the rubber is starting to get a dry micro cracking look and I reckon that it will start cracking up before the wear markers have disapeared.

cheetah, my experience is about the same as yours. The front GP4000 wears very slowly, and I've noticed the aging cracks before the wear indicator holes disappear. I normally keep the front one on through two rear tires, so about 7500 miles or 12K km between front changes.

I keep logbook records based on the Cateye odometer reading, so I know how many miles I'm getting from tires, chains, cassettes, saddles, BB bearings, etc. It only takes a minute or two to record date, odo miles, and any other notes.

Well, well, well, "Istant Kramer" might've got me; either that or the German Mafia. :) My talk of the GP4000Sseses' mediocrity reminded me to change my rear tyre before a race on Tues evening, so I put on a Pro Race 4 SC.

Around 15 mins into the race, my rear tyre lost grip on the fastest corner and I went down kinda hard-ish (I've just got a big bump on my lower **** cheek and a ~2-inch shallow graze, plus a few other minor bruises, grazes and mysterious muscle strains. It wasn't that bad; I even considered getting a lap out and continuing, but I wanted to look for the Dura-Ace cap that came off my lever, and the ambo chick was kinda cute, so I decided to milk some attention from her after I found the cap. I continued training after, and did another another 45km. Ha. Gold hee hee., hoo hoo :) ).

Anyway, I dunno why the fark my rear lost grip, coz I've taken that corner a million times, and at higher speeds. Dare I say the GP4000000 has better grip than my beloved Michelin (I became somewhat of a Michelin devotee after someone finally convinced me to switch to Pro Race 2s from the old tan-walled Grand Prix, around 2002)? :)

Ozman,

I take it you never took history at school. History taught us that whenever we really need to put full trust in something, never trust anything that's French. It'll sell you out faster than white flags in a German invasion. Paris this way, cheap tires for lots of cash! Vive la skid!!! Arc du no Triumph, I-Fell Tower... You should have Seine that one coming...

There's no coincidence that "Pro Race Four" is an anagram of "Euro for ****"

The cute nurse, did she give your tender cheeks some sweet lovin', aye - wink, wink

Originally Posted by cheetahmk7

Two thirds of the time was spent on the front and it has been on the rear since May. Thinking about it I have overstated the mileage as that included time spent on my indoor trainers that didn't use these tyres, so 6000km may be a more realistic estimate.

Looking at the tyre, there is plenty of tread left but the rubber is starting to get a dry micro cracking look and I reckon that it will start cracking up before the wear markers have disapeared.

There's at least two RAAM's left in that tire. You can still see the 'mold ridge' in the center.

Wear dots, where?

Originally Posted by swampy1970

There's at least two RAAM's left in that tire. You can still see the 'mold ridge' in the center.

Wear dots, where?
Is that a rear tyre on backwards or a front tyre that has spent time on the rear?

Aussie, did you ride the mold release wax off the tire before racing on it?

I've slid a few times on the Pro4's (my tire of choice for the last three years or so) when I didn't think I was on the limit, but overall I like their grip and feel. They're pretty lively...or whatever adjective works that describes a mid-line sew-up. Try Vredestein Fortezza Tri-Comps...good wear, good road feel and good grip in the dry.

Hope you got the nurse's number and heal quickly.

cheetahmk7 said:
Is that a rear tyre on backwards or a front tyre that has spent time on the rear?
It may have spent time on the rear when i had the old wheels. That said, the other one looks almost as bad. As irony would have it, got my first puncture in a long time a few nights ago - a thorn on the edge of the sidewall/tread, the only place where's there's a nice chunk of rubber left.

Mold release compound on bicycle tires Bob? It's not a car tyre with a large surface area and a relitively inflexible sidewall... You need to wash your hands after playing with the slippery jelly before you mount your tyres...

Yes, mold release.

I've seen Pro4's come out of the box black, dry and already showing micro-cracks and I've seen them with white, waxy release agent all over them.

Vredestein's used to come smeared up pretty good and would pick up a coating off dirt and small stones until it wore away.

All of my Pro4s have come out of the box with the waxy coating. They are miserable to ride on (pick up and throw gravel like crazy) for the first 50-100 miles until this coating wears off.