GPS and Palm pilots

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Ian Sant, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. Ian Sant

    Ian Sant Guest

    May be a bit off topic but I was wondering if anyone has experience of using the e-trex with a PDA.
    When I'm travelling to warmer climes to get my geriatric walking in, it could be useful. Yeah, I
    know a motoring atlas is a lot cheaper but I've already got an e-trex and I might as well get
    maximum use out of it.
    --
    Ian S

    Tags:

  2. Colin Dawson

    Colin Dawson Guest

    "Ian Sant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > May be a bit off topic but I was wondering if anyone has experience of
    using
    > the e-trex with a PDA. When I'm travelling to warmer climes to get my geriatric walking in, it
    > could be useful. Yeah, I know a motoring atlas is
    > lot cheaper but I've already got an e-trex and I might as well get maximum use out of it.
    > --
    > Ian S

    I've got an e-trex, serial link cables and a Psion Series 5MX (but they've stopped selling them :-(
    ) Also, I've got an in car bracket, and a copy if Tom Toms Route Planner. When all the bits are
    combined, it's fantastic. I use it whenever I drive anywhere, and will highly recommend this kind of
    SatNav system. They're much more versatile than an all in one system, as you can take it to bits and
    use the various parts for other things.

    I know that it's possible to get PDA's that with software similar to RoutePlanner. They'll all work
    about the same (generally speaking) If you're intending to use it whilst driving, then you'll
    definatly need to fix it to the Dashboad so that you can see it. Apart from being illegal to use a
    PDA and drive, it's also extremely dangerous!

    Regards

    Col.

  3. Mike Mason

    Mike Mason Guest

    Yes an garmin vista with an ipaq 3850.

    Use Tomtom Navigator 2 for roads

    and

    OziExplorerCe and/or Anquet for hill walking.

    Use a simple data lead whilst walking

    and

    a rather more complicated one in the car which supplies power to the Ipaq and the gps and allows
    exchange of data. Power is sourced from the car cigarette lighter.

    Ipaq is mounted on a holder on the window screen, gps lies on the dashboard.

    Mike Mason

  4. Colin Dawson wrote:

    > Apart from being illegal to use a PDA and drive, it's also
    > extremely dangerous!

    If you hold it in your hand, press the buttons and stare at
    it constantly yes, of course it's dangerous. It's also
    extremely dangerous to take your hands off the wheel to
    change gears, use the indicator, switch lights etc. and to
    stare constantly at the speedometer, rev counter,
    mileometer, petrol gauge and oil light too, so why aren't
    all of these things illegal too?

    :)

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
    http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

  5. Mike Mason

    Mike Mason Guest

    As far as I'm aware the criteria that is in place for mobile phones is the
    same for pda's. At least that's what the legislation seems to indicate.
    "Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Colin Dawson wrote:
    >
    > > Apart from being illegal to use a PDA and drive, it's
    > > also extremely dangerous!
    >
    > If you hold it in your hand, press the buttons and stare
    > at it constantly yes, of course it's dangerous. It's also
    > extremely dangerous to take your hands off the wheel to
    > change gears, use the indicator, switch lights etc. and to
    > stare constantly at the speedometer, rev counter,
    > mileometer, petrol gauge and oil light too, so why aren't
    > all of these things illegal too?
    >
    > :)
    >
    > Paul
    > --
    > http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
    > http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk
    > http://www.photosig.com/go/users/userphotos?id=118749

  6. Dont be a nob!!!!
    "Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Colin Dawson wrote:
    >
    > > Apart from being illegal to use a PDA and drive, it's
    > > also extremely dangerous!
    >
    > If you hold it in your hand, press the buttons and stare
    > at it constantly yes, of course it's dangerous. It's also
    > extremely dangerous to take your hands off the wheel to
    > change gears, use the indicator, switch lights etc. and to
    > stare constantly at the speedometer, rev counter,
    > mileometer, petrol gauge and oil light too, so why aren't
    > all of these things illegal too?
    >
    > :)
    >
    > Paul
    > --
    > http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
    > http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk
    > http://www.photosig.com/go/users/userphotos?id=118749

  7. Steve Jones

    Steve Jones Guest

    "Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Colin Dawson wrote:
    >
    > > Apart from being illegal to use a PDA and drive, it's
    > > also extremely dangerous!
    >
    > If you hold it in your hand, press the buttons and stare
    > at it constantly yes, of course it's dangerous. It's also
    > extremely dangerous to take your hands off the wheel to
    > change gears, use the indicator, switch lights etc. and to
    > stare constantly at the speedometer, rev counter,
    > mileometer, petrol gauge and oil light too, so why aren't
    > all of these things illegal too?

    > Paul

    Not one of your better postings Paul,

    Quite simply - there is a distinction between things that
    give driver information, like rear view mirrors, speedo etc
    which are quite legal to glance at whilst driving, and
    staring exclusively at one source of information to the
    detriment of all others, be it the view out of front
    windscreen, rear mirror, speedo or whatever. Those who
    concentrate on one information source only may be guilty of
    carless drivng as their standard of driving will have fallen
    below that required by the Highway Code. Indicators and horn
    should not require taking hands from steering wheel and
    other operations such as changing gear, switching lights, or
    GPS Operation should only be done at a time when other
    aspects of driving are not compromised by taking the hand
    from the wheel. The only analogy I can come up with from a
    walking point of view is walking though a bog purely because
    it looks clear ahead, and ignoring the fact that your legs
    are telling you that they are immersed in water.

    Steve Jones

  8. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 20:14:05 -0000, Steve Williams wrote:

    >Dont be a nob!!!!

    That's illegal too. Twiddling with the knobs on the
    radio, that is.

    >"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >message news:[email protected]...
    >> Colin Dawson wrote:
    >>
    >> > Apart from being illegal to use a PDA and drive, it's
    >> > also extremely dangerous!
    >>
    >> If you hold it in your hand, press the buttons and stare
    >> at it constantly yes, of course it's dangerous. It's also
    >> extremely dangerous to take your hands off the wheel to
    >> change gears, use the indicator, switch lights etc. and
    >> to stare constantly at the speedometer, rev counter,
    >> mileometer, petrol gauge and oil light too, so why aren't
    >> all of these things illegal too?

    They are if you focus on them to excess. It's called driving
    without due care and attention.

    Most gauges and lights in cars can be taken in at a glance.
    The only thing I can take in at a glance on my GPS12 is the
    compass arrow. Reading the ETA off it needs a straight bit
    of road with nothing coming the other way.
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the
    "Westminster Gasworks"

  9. Steve Jones wrote:

    > Quite simply - there is a distinction between things that
    > give driver information, like rear view mirrors, speedo
    > etc which are quite legal to glance at whilst driving, and
    > staring exclusively at one source of information to the
    > detriment of all others, be it the view out of front
    > windscreen, rear mirror, speedo or whatever.

    Well obviously. What did you think I was trying to say?
    Maybe your sarcasm detector isn't working properly?

    > Indicators and horn should not require taking hands from
    > steering wheel and other operations such as changing gear,
    > switching lights, or GPS Operation should only be done at
    > a time when other aspects of driving are not compromised
    > by taking the hand from the wheel.

    Exactly, so why Colin's assertion that PDA's are
    illegal in cars?

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
    http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

  10. Steve Jones

    Steve Jones Guest

    > Well obviously. What did you think I was trying to say?
    > Maybe your sarcasm detector isn't working properly?

    Sorry, just checked and the batteries have gone flat, must
    get myself a new set of NiMh's.

    > Exactly, so why Colin's assertion that PDA's are illegal
    > in cars?
    >
    > Paul

    A GPS system in a car is not illegal, because it gives
    'driver information'. A PDA used purely as GPS display would
    not be illegal if it were fixed to the dash. I think Colin
    was referring to the PDA being held in the hand, which would
    place it in the same category as a mobile phone. Sorry,
    can't think of any sarcastic repartee, as my batteries are
    still on charge.

    Steve

  11. Jim Hutton

    Jim Hutton Guest

    On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 22:08:14 GMT, "Mike Mason"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Yes an garmin vista with an ipaq 3850.
    >
    >Use Tomtom Navigator 2 for roads
    >
    >and
    >
    >OziExplorerCe and/or Anquet for hill walking.
    >
    >Use a simple data lead whilst walking
    >
    >and
    >
    >a rather more complicated one in the car which supplies
    >power to the Ipaq and the gps and allows exchange of data.
    >Power is sourced from the car cigarette lighter.

    How do you get on with battery life of the ipaq while
    walking ? Is it practical to have it turned on all the time
    ? And there have been issues of fragility and waterproofness
    raised when this setup has been discussed before - any
    comments ?

    Jim Hutton

  12. Steve Jones wrote:

    > A GPS system in a car is not illegal, because it gives
    > 'driver information'. A PDA used purely as GPS display
    > would not be illegal if it were fixed to the dash. I
    > think Colin was referring to the PDA being held in the
    > hand, which would place it in the same category as a
    > mobile phone.

    Well it would be pretty stupid to hold a PDA in your hand
    whilst driving, wouldn't it? At least with a mobile phone
    you can watch the road while you are talking, but a PDA
    would require that you look at it as you operate it.

    What about reading maps while you are driving? You know,
    those paper things? ;-)

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
    http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

  13. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Paul Saunders <[email protected]> wrote
    >Steve Jones wrote:
    >
    >> A GPS system in a car is not illegal, because it gives
    >> 'driver information'. A PDA used purely as GPS display
    >> would not be illegal if it were fixed to the dash. I
    >> think Colin was referring to the PDA being held in the
    >> hand, which would place it in the same category as a
    >> mobile phone.
    >
    >Well it would be pretty stupid to hold a PDA in your hand
    >whilst driving, wouldn't it? At least with a mobile phone
    >you can watch the road while you are talking, but a PDA
    >would require that you look at it as you operate it.
    >
    >What about reading maps while you are driving? You know,
    >those paper things? ;-)

    I can read 1:25,000 OS maps ok whilst driving, but it's the
    folding up and unfolding that's tricky.

    Sense of humour, anyone?
    --
    Gordon

  14. Mike Mason

    Mike Mason Guest

    Get about four hours use in the day so I don't run it all
    the time. Just use it when I want confirmation where I am
    and all that sort of thing. Use it to note gps grid
    reference of where I've taken a photograph from. I know I
    could use a waypoint but that means unclipping my gps of the
    harness of my sac which is a bit difficult to do.

    As I am not into multi day walks keeping it charged is not a
    problem. I just charge it up from the car in the evening, if
    it needs it, ready for the following day.

    As for fragility, well it's a bit like drop it and its
    costly, so I don't. I keep it in the plastic cover case that
    it came supplied with inside a zipped padded nylon case. Its
    usually kept in the sac lid pocket inside a poly bag. In the
    rain I just prat about and open everything whilst its still
    in the poly bag. In the dry it sometime ends up a pocket on
    a jacket or cag for ease of use but I am very aware that if
    I slip it could get expensive.

    Biggest problem was the connecting lead getting in the way.
    That's now been solved with some velcro loops which hold the
    cable onto my sac.

    Been using the setup now for 18 months with no problems
    other than the screen is getting rather scratched but that's
    not through walking rather through use whilst I'm doing
    consultancy/training in a shop floor environment.

    And as a last comment before I am dropped on from a vast
    height I do use a map and compass as well. Neither system is
    primary, both are used in conjunction with each other and it
    does provide me with a great deal of delight.

    Mike Mason

    "Jim Hutton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 22:08:14 GMT, "Mike Mason"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Yes an garmin vista with an ipaq 3850.
    > >
    > >Use Tomtom Navigator 2 for roads
    > >
    > >and
    > >
    > >OziExplorerCe and/or Anquet for hill walking.
    > >
    > >Use a simple data lead whilst walking
    > >
    > >and
    > >
    > >a rather more complicated one in the car which supplies
    > >power to the Ipaq and the gps and allows exchange of
    > >data. Power is sourced from the car cigarette lighter.
    > >

    > How do you get on with battery life of the ipaq while
    > walking ? Is it practical to have it turned on all the
    > time ? And there have been issues of fragility and
    > waterproofness raised when this setup has been discussed
    > before - any comments ?
    >
    > Jim Hutton

  15. On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, Paul Saunders wrote:
    x-no-archive: yes

    > Steve Jones wrote:
    >
    > > A GPS system in a car is not illegal, because it gives
    > > 'driver information'. A PDA used purely as GPS display
    > > would not be illegal if it were fixed to the dash. I
    > > think Colin was referring to the PDA being held in the
    > > hand, which would place it in the same category as a
    > > mobile phone.
    >
    > Well it would be pretty stupid to hold a PDA in your hand
    > whilst driving, wouldn't it? At least with a mobile phone
    > you can watch the road while you are talking, but a PDA
    > would require that you look at it as you operate it.
    >
    > What about reading maps while you are driving? You know,
    > those paper things? ;-)

    Not to mention road signs. Very hazardous things.

    --
    Chris Malcolm [email protected] IPAB, Informatics,
    James Clerk Maxwell Building, King's Buildings Edinburgh,

  16. x-no-archive: yes

    On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, Gordon wrote:

    > Paul Saunders <[email protected]> wrote
    > >Steve Jones wrote:

    > >> A GPS system in a car is not illegal, because it gives
    > >> 'driver information'. A PDA used purely as GPS display
    > >> would not be illegal if it were fixed to the dash. I
    > >> think Colin was referring to the PDA being held in the
    > >> hand, which would place it in the same category as a
    > >> mobile phone.
    > >
    > >Well it would be pretty stupid to hold a PDA in your hand
    > >whilst driving, wouldn't it? At least with a mobile phone
    > >you can watch the road while you are talking, but a PDA
    > >would require that you look at it as you operate it.
    > >
    > >What about reading maps while you are driving? You know,
    > >those paper things? ;-)
    > >
    > I can read 1:25,000 OS maps ok whilst driving, but it's
    > the folding up and unfolding that's tricky.
    >
    > Sense of humour, anyone?

    Hold the wheel a minute while I check under the seat.

    --

  17. [email protected] (Steve Jones) writes:

    >"Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote in
    >message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Colin Dawson wrote:

    >> > Apart from being illegal to use a PDA and drive, it's
    >> > also extremely dangerous!

    >> If you hold it in your hand, press the buttons and stare
    >> at it constantly yes, of course it's dangerous. It's also
    >> extremely dangerous to take your hands off the wheel to
    >> change gears, use the indicator, switch lights etc. and
    >> to stare constantly at the speedometer, rev counter,
    >> mileometer, petrol gauge and oil light too, so why aren't
    >> all of these things illegal too?

    >Those who concentrate on one information source only may be
    >guilty of carless drivng as their standard of driving will
    >have fallen below that required by the Highway Code.
    >Indicators and horn should not require taking hands from
    >steering wheel and other operations such as changing gear,
    >switching lights, or GPS Operation should only be done at a
    >time when other aspects of driving are not compromised by
    >taking the hand from the wheel. The only analogy I can come
    >up with from a walking point of view is walking though a
    >bog purely because it looks clear ahead, and ignoring the
    >fact that your legs are telling you that they are immersed
    >in water.

    Observed a week ago in a car park. Bloke drives around and
    parks car while yakking on mobile phone. Gets out of car
    still yakking on phone. Walks towards car park sign the
    bottom of which is about 5'6" high off the ground, supported
    at edges by two large scaffolding type poles about 5' apart.
    Yakker walks between poles straight into sign, striking it
    with forehead with resounding thump, staggers backwards
    clutching head.

    Observed several weeks ago in street where there are car
    parking spaces in the middle of the street, with waist-high
    coin-in-slot parking meters. Bloke is walking along texting
    on his phone, and walks straight into parking meter.

    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  18. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Chris Malcolm <[email protected]> wrote
    >x-no-archive: yes
    >
    >On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, Gordon wrote:
    >

    >> Paul Saunders <[email protected]> wrote

    >> >Well it would be pretty stupid to hold a PDA in your
    >> >hand whilst driving, wouldn't it? At least with a
    >> >mobile phone you can watch the road while you are
    >> >talking, but a PDA would require that you look at it as
    >> >you operate it.
    >> >
    >> >What about reading maps while you are driving? You know,
    >> >those paper things? ;-)
    >> >
    >> I can read 1:25,000 OS maps ok whilst driving, but it's
    >> the folding up and unfolding that's tricky.
    >>
    >> Sense of humour, anyone?
    >
    >Hold the wheel a minute while I check under the seat.

    LOL!
    --
    Gordon

  19. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Gordon
    <[email protected]> writes
    >I can read 1:25,000 OS maps ok whilst driving, but it's the
    >folding up and unfolding that's tricky.
    >
    >Sense of humour, anyone?
    >--
    I remember filling my pipe and lighting it while driving my
    Landrover - no probs. Reversing out of the ditch was a bit
    tricky though!
    --
    Bill Grey http://www.billboy.co.uk

  20. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Chris Malcolm
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Observed several weeks ago in street where there are car
    >parking spaces in the middle of the street, with waist-high
    >coin-in-slot parking meters. Bloke is walking along texting
    >on his phone, and walks straight into parking meter.

    Chickenfeed!!

    As a young man in the RAF - Yatesbury in fact, while walking
    through a hangar yakking to a mate I walked into a Lancaster
    Bomber!! so There.
    --
    Bill Grey http://www.billboy.co.uk