GPS and Palm pilots

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Ian Sant, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Paul
    Saunders <[email protected]> writes
    >Yep, most people don't consider the circumstances of the
    >driver. There have been times when I've had to drive
    >infuriatingly slowly because I've felt ill, or was
    >transporting something fragile, or there was a problem with
    >my car, etc, etc.

    Like when I've got Geraint in the back he's my Labrador BTW!
    --
    Bill Grey http://www.billboy.co.uk

  2. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

    In article
    <[email protected]>, Steve
    Jones <[email protected]> writes
    >Driving a police vehicle does not make the driver a good
    >one. There are good and bad out there, just as in any other
    >course of life. You should report instances such as this. I
    >can't guarantee that anything would happen in the first
    >instance,

    No "Zero Tolerance" then, perhaps that only applies to
    pensioners who just happen to stray up to 31mph in a
    30moh Zone.

    I was driving at 38 mph in a 40 mph zone today and was
    followed by a red car and behind that a dark car. Suddenly I
    was overtaken by a 4x4 !!! Goodness know where he came from
    and what speed he was doing. Later in 30 mph zone he just
    left me for cold.

    These are the nutters that just don't seem to get caught.

    A young git in a baseball cap.

    --
    Bill Grey http://www.billboy.co.uk

  3. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

    In article
    <[email protected]>, Steve
    Jones <[email protected]> writes
    >> Consider this - some time ago a chap installed a
    >> miniature TV in his dash.
    >
    >I have to ask - Why??

    All I can remember was that it was not his intention to view
    it while driving - hence the positioning of the set so that
    it couldn't be seen from the driving position.

    >> It was placed so that he couldn't actually see it while
    >> driving, yet he was booked for having it there anyway.
    >> Where's the sense in that?
    >
    >So should it also be okay for Billy the Boy Racer who is
    >ten times more likely to have a serious accident to have a
    >further distraction in his car and make him even more
    >unsafe on the road? That is after all the most likely class
    >of driver to want to have a telly in his dashboard.
    >
    >> Again "The Law is a Ass".
    >
    >Maybe so.
    >
    >> We can all find instances of "offences" and ask why? but
    >> who are we to question the combined brains of highly paid
    >> civil servants/Police experts who take these decisions.
    >
    >I have first hand knowledge of instances where a young
    >girl was killed after going head on into a lorry whilst
    >texting, and another where an elderly couple were cut out
    >of their car because the other (unharmed) driver swerved
    >head on into them whilst on his phone. Since it became
    >illegal, the vast majority of drivers do not use their
    >phones and the roads are a safer place for it. If I could
    >meet the "Ass" responsible for this particular bit of long
    >overdue legislation, I would shake him/her warmly by the
    >hand/hoof for
    >it.

    The "NO mobile phone " law is very good and I'm the first to
    applaud it. There are laws, or decisions taken, which must
    be considered ludicrous.

    It seems to me that the idiots who still persist do so on
    minor roads without any compunction at all.

    --
    Bill Grey http://www.billboy.co.uk

  4. Rj Webb

    Rj Webb Guest

    >Perhaps his brakes had gone. Perhaps his suspension had
    >gone and he had a bad back. Perhaps...
    >
    >People too readily assume that someone going a lot slower
    >or faster than they would is an idiot.

    No but they can allow their train to overtake every few
    miles. No problem with going slow, as long as you dont force
    it on the rest of us for miles.

    That goes double for single track roads. Nobody evey uses
    passing places properly outside Scotland. (And a fair few
    dont there either)

    Richard Webb

  5. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 22:21:21 GMT, [email protected] (RJ
    Webb) wrote:

    >>Perhaps his brakes had gone. Perhaps his suspension had
    >>gone and he had a bad back. Perhaps...
    >>
    >>People too readily assume that someone going a lot slower
    >>or faster than they would is an idiot.
    >

    >No but they can allow their train to overtake every few
    >miles. No problem with going slow, as long as you dont
    >force it on the rest of us for miles.
    >
    >That goes double for single track roads. Nobody evey uses
    >passing places properly outside Scotland. (And a fair few
    >dont there either)
    >
    >Richard Webb

    It's mind-numbing, how many people wait at the narrow bit
    *before* the passing place!

    --

    Paul

    My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003):

    http://paulrooney.netfirms.com

  6. Paul Rooney

    Webb) wrote:

    >>Perhaps his brakes had gone. Perhaps his suspension had
    >>gone and he had a bad back. Perhaps...
    >>
    >>People too readily assume that someone going a lot slower
    >>or faster than they would is an idiot.
    >

    >No but they can allow their train to overtake every few
    >miles. No problem with going slow, as long as you dont
    >force it on the rest of us for miles.
    >
    >That goes double for single track roads. Nobody evey uses
    >passing places properly outside Scotland. (And a fair few
    >dont there either)
    >
    >Richard Webb

    It's mind-numbing, how many people wait at the narrow bit
    *before* the passing place!

    --

    Paul

    My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003):

    http://paulrooney.netfirms.com

  7. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 22:21:21 GMT, RJ Webb wrote:

    >>Perhaps his brakes had gone. Perhaps his suspension had
    >>gone and he had a bad back. Perhaps...
    >>
    >>People too readily assume that someone going a lot slower
    >>or faster than they would is an idiot.
    >

    >No but they can allow their train to overtake every few
    >miles. No problem with going slow, as long as you dont
    >force it on the rest of us for miles.

    True. When I'm in tourist mode I'll pull in at any
    opportunity. Not having somebody a few inches off my rear
    alowas me to concentrate on looking at the scenery.

    >That goes double for single track roads. Nobody evey uses
    >passing places properly outside Scotland. (And a fair few
    >dont there either)

    I once nearly fainted with shock when a car pulled in
    to let me
    overtake on the single track road from Slaidburn to
    High Bentham.

    I have seen people say you should never pull over to the
    right to allow a vehicle to pass. I often do that if I see a
    HGV coming the other wayand teh pull off is on the right. I
    make it obvious what I'm doing with my indicator and alow
    the heavier vehicle the straighter path.
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the
    "Westminster Gasworks"