GPS & bikes ..

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by elyob, Jul 22, 2005.

  1. elyob

    elyob Guest

    I've posted this on a GPS group with no response, so thought I'd check with
    the brains in here ... :)

    Have just acquired a Magellan GPS315 with a serial cable but no software. I
    am planning on using this when cycling and am looking for a way to plot
    routes by presetting waypoints and then overlaying this on a map for future
    info.

    Firstly, can anyone recommend the software I require under Win XP. Secondly,
    is there a cradle I can use to hold the machine on my handlebars? Lastly,
    if I'm cycling in an unknown area what is the best method of setting up
    waypoints - i.e. there's not much use telling me to go north for 3km if
    there's a river between me and the destination.

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Sam Salt

    Sam Salt Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I've posted this on a GPS group with no response, so thought I'd check

    with
    > the brains in here ... :)
    >
    > Have just acquired a Magellan GPS315 with a serial cable but no software.

    > am planning on using this when cycling and am looking for a way to plot
    > routes by presetting waypoints and then overlaying this on a map for

    future
    > info.
    >
    > Firstly, can anyone recommend the software I require under Win XP.

    Secondly,
    > is there a cradle I can use to hold the machine on my handlebars? Lastly,
    > if I'm cycling in an unknown area what is the best method of setting up
    > waypoints - i.e. there's not much use telling me to go north for 3km if
    > there's a river between me and the destination.
    >
    > Thanks

    I use Memory-Map,although there are others-Anquet,Fugawi.
    It is a wonderful program the only drawback being that it is not exactly
    cheap - http://www.memory-map.co.uk/

    Every week I seem to find something else it can do.Just move the cursor
    around your route on the OS map,click when you need a waypoint,down load to
    GPS,simple.Upon return download your route to M-M to see where you have been
    as opposed to where you thought you were.More applicable to walking than
    cycling really.Runs fine on XP.

    There are various "holders" available,have a look at
    http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/ who have a wide range of GPS
    accessories.I have heard reports thogh that some of the holders have been
    known to jettison theircargo over rough ground.

    I have a Garmin GPSMAP 60 CS and use a Gilsson cover which can fit around
    the bars with a velcro strap.
    http://www.gilsson.com/

    Various accessories are available e-bay.
    Failing that have alook on the Magellan site and see what is available.

    http://www.magellangps.com/en/

    Your third point is a good one,which is why I seldom use GPS when cycling on
    the road.You would set up your waypoints for the route you are following ie.
    the road therefore avoiding the river.I find a map much more useful.If your
    unit has mapping it is possible to enhance the basemap with mapping software
    from Magellan/Garmin which will give you auto-routing ( turn by turn
    directions ) ,more useful when travelling by car I find than by bike.

    Once again this additional software is not cheap,£150-£180 or so.

    One little aside,if you have bought the unit second hand,visit the Magellan
    site where you should be able to download updates to the software which
    corrects bugs etc.If you don't have a manual for it,you will be able to down
    load a copy.

    Hope this helps,

    Sam Salt

  3. elyob

    elyob Guest

    Sam Salt wrote:

    > "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> I've posted this on a GPS group with no response, so thought I'd check

    > with
    >> the brains in here ... :)
    >>
    >> Have just acquired a Magellan GPS315 with a serial cable but no software.

    >> am planning on using this when cycling and am looking for a way to plot
    >> routes by presetting waypoints and then overlaying this on a map for

    > future
    >> info.
    >>
    >> Firstly, can anyone recommend the software I require under Win XP.

    > Secondly,
    >> is there a cradle I can use to hold the machine on my handlebars? Lastly,
    >> if I'm cycling in an unknown area what is the best method of setting up
    >> waypoints - i.e. there's not much use telling me to go north for 3km if
    >> there's a river between me and the destination.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > I use Memory-Map,although there are others-Anquet,Fugawi.
    > It is a wonderful program the only drawback being that it is not exactly
    > cheap - http://www.memory-map.co.uk/
    >
    > Every week I seem to find something else it can do.Just move the cursor
    > around your route on the OS map,click when you need a waypoint,down load
    > to GPS,simple.Upon return download your route to M-M to see where you have
    > been as opposed to where you thought you were.More applicable to walking
    > than cycling really.Runs fine on XP.
    >
    > There are various "holders" available,have a look at
    > http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk/ who have a wide range of GPS
    > accessories.I have heard reports thogh that some of the holders have been
    > known to jettison theircargo over rough ground.
    >
    > I have a Garmin GPSMAP 60 CS and use a Gilsson cover which can fit around
    > the bars with a velcro strap.
    > http://www.gilsson.com/
    >
    > Various accessories are available e-bay.
    > Failing that have alook on the Magellan site and see what is available.
    >
    > http://www.magellangps.com/en/
    >
    > Your third point is a good one,which is why I seldom use GPS when cycling
    > on the road.You would set up your waypoints for the route you are
    > following ie. the road therefore avoiding the river.I find a map much more
    > useful.If your unit has mapping it is possible to enhance the basemap with
    > mapping software from Magellan/Garmin which will give you auto-routing (
    > turn by turn directions ) ,more useful when travelling by car I find than
    > by bike.
    >
    > Once again this additional software is not cheap,£150-£180 or so.
    >
    > One little aside,if you have bought the unit second hand,visit the
    > Magellan site where you should be able to download updates to the software
    > which corrects bugs etc.If you don't have a manual for it,you will be able
    > to down load a copy.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > Sam Salt

    Thanks for that. Lots of info to be getting on with! When I say acquired,
    unfortunately it means borrowed! However it is a 'borrow it until I need
    it. It's been in a drawer for two years".

    So, at the moment I have found some freeware software, there is also a
    shareware product which will allow me to scan in my own maps. Seems the
    cheapest way to go and I will be able to pack the map in case of GPS
    failure etc ...

    Thanks for your help!

    Nick

  4. Neil Hardman

    Neil Hardman Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I've posted this on a GPS group with no response, so thought I'd check
    > with
    > the brains in here ... :)
    >
    > Have just acquired a Magellan GPS315 with a serial cable but no software.
    > am planning on using this when cycling and am looking for a way to plot
    > routes by presetting waypoints and then overlaying this on a map for
    > future
    > info.
    >
    > Firstly, can anyone recommend the software I require under Win XP.
    > Secondly,
    > is there a cradle I can use to hold the machine on my handlebars? Lastly,
    > if I'm cycling in an unknown area what is the best method of setting up
    > waypoints - i.e. there's not much use telling me to go north for 3km if
    > there's a river between me and the destination.

    I'd recommend gpsu http://www.gpsu.co.uk/ as a useful program that allows
    you to plot routes and upload them onto the 315

    regards,
    Neil

  5. elyob

    elyob Guest

    Neil Hardman wrote:

    > "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> I've posted this on a GPS group with no response, so thought I'd check
    >> with
    >> the brains in here ... :)
    >>
    >> Have just acquired a Magellan GPS315 with a serial cable but no software.
    >> am planning on using this when cycling and am looking for a way to plot
    >> routes by presetting waypoints and then overlaying this on a map for
    >> future
    >> info.
    >>
    >> Firstly, can anyone recommend the software I require under Win XP.
    >> Secondly,
    >> is there a cradle I can use to hold the machine on my handlebars? Lastly,
    >> if I'm cycling in an unknown area what is the best method of setting up
    >> waypoints - i.e. there's not much use telling me to go north for 3km if
    >> there's a river between me and the destination.
    >>

    > I'd recommend gpsu http://www.gpsu.co.uk/ as a useful program that allows
    > you to plot routes and upload them onto the 315
    >
    > regards,
    > Neil

    Thanks Neil, will take a look. I was just wondering how I can write a
    program to upload & download raw data from the GPS myself. I was thinking
    of looking at using google maps or something. I've never written a program
    that uses serial ports etc, so have no idea how to get started.

  6. elyob

    elyob Guest

    elyob wrote:

    > Neil Hardman wrote:
    >
    >> "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>>
    >>> I've posted this on a GPS group with no response, so thought I'd check
    >>> with
    >>> the brains in here ... :)
    >>>
    >>> Have just acquired a Magellan GPS315 with a serial cable but no
    >>> software. I
    >>> am planning on using this when cycling and am looking for a way to plot
    >>> routes by presetting waypoints and then overlaying this on a map for
    >>> future
    >>> info.
    >>>
    >>> Firstly, can anyone recommend the software I require under Win XP.
    >>> Secondly,
    >>> is there a cradle I can use to hold the machine on my handlebars?
    >>> Lastly, if I'm cycling in an unknown area what is the best method of
    >>> setting up waypoints - i.e. there's not much use telling me to go north
    >>> for 3km if there's a river between me and the destination.
    >>>

    >> I'd recommend gpsu http://www.gpsu.co.uk/ as a useful program that allows
    >> you to plot routes and upload them onto the 315
    >>
    >> regards,
    >> Neil

    > Thanks Neil, will take a look. I was just wondering how I can write a
    > program to upload & download raw data from the GPS myself. I was thinking
    > of looking at using google maps or something. I've never written a program
    > that uses serial ports etc, so have no idea how to get started.

    Getting there already. GPSU & Google maps is looking good. May need some
    testers for my software in a week or two! (Probably a few days, but thought
    I'd add a couple of weeks testing time ..) :)