GPS for Alpine Crossing

Rich8P

Jul 21, 2006
Hi,

I'm gearing up for the alpine crossing and, just like last year, the question of GPS has come up again.

Last year, we all purchased new bikes so we decided to save cost and go with the laminated plan versions. This year, GPS has come down in price again and we are reconsidering.

I'm looking for a device that will allow navigation on the move and a full day of riding without need for a battery change. It should be easily mounted to a standard stem/bar and able to stand up to hard off road riding.

I'm not concerned about budget but I don't want to pay for something that doesn't add value. All I want is not to have to stop to read the map and to know how far we still have to go so that we can pace the ride nicely.

I'm looking at a Foretrex 201 or Edge Sumit from Garmin. Does anyone have experience with these?

Do I need to get a map or any extras or is it enough just to download routes or enter GPS coordinates?

I'd like to share the route with other people if possible so some sort of download would be nice.

Appreciate any advice.

Rich