GPS (for directions)

bartsie

Jun 20, 2011
Yesterday I made myself a cue-sheet for a 25-mile ride and managed to follow it without getting lost - but stopping every few minutes to check it has taken a lot of fun out of it. I could do with a GPS. It looks though like cycling-wise it has to be the Garmin 800, right? It doesn't look like the 500 gives directions, does it?

On the other hand I don't need any bicycling-specific functionality at all (except light weight and decent battery life, including at low-ish temperatures). This got me thinking: I will soon be replacing my 6-year old car GPS anyway so perhaps some of the new ones can be used? Normally, a GPS optimizes an "A to B" route but do any of them allow you to plan a course passing through specified points (for sightseeing etc)? That should work -- I may have up to 4 of those points per mile but who cares? It would be great if I didn't have to enter the whole thing on the unit's on-screen keyboard but rather upload a file on the home computer (e.g. via the GPS unit's 'native' app).

Any thoughts?

Garmin phased out the Edge 205, 305, 605, and 705 last season. You can probably find one of them new or refurbished for a significant discount.

The 205 and 305 are functionally like the 500 when it comes to navigation. You do not have the option for loading a detailed base map (detailed street maps). Instead, you plan a route and download it into the device and "follow a bread crumb line" on the screen. If you veer off course a message will pop up telling you that you are off course. You then ride in the direction of the line until you intersect with your planned route again, or go back to where the message popped up and take the correct path. When you do intersect with your route again a message will display saying "route found".

The 605, 705, and 800 models allow you to load a detailed base map (but you don't have to). You plan our routes the same way (with a Garmin program, selecting a prior route, or third party route converted to "Garmin-speak"). When you download the route into the device it will display the route "over" the base map of streets residing in the unit. The same message happens if you go off course - you're just able to see the streets around you and pick one that easily gets you back to your marked route.

All of the units can be set up to give you "turn by turn" instructions - i.e. "left turn .5 miles", "right turn .5 miles", etc. You can do this during route planning by selecting the type of course you want to define. Personally I find it easier to just follow a line on the screen and set the resolution at 1 or 2 miles so changes in direction of the line are very distinct and easy to follow.

Thanks, great writeup. Do you know if the Garmin Edge 200 does the 'bread crumb line' too?
The 200 is downright affordable, even brand new!

Originally Posted by bartsie .

Thanks, great writeup. Do you know if the Garmin Edge 200 does the 'bread crumb line' too?
The 200 is downright affordable, even brand new!
Yes for bread crumb navigation.. The 205 will not support ANT+ accessories, however, so no heart rate monitor, cadence or speed sensor, or any other accessory. That means no using it on a trainer for personal performance monitoring. If you only want it for navigational assistance it will do well for you. The 305 is basically the same but has ANT+ and a barometric sensor for improved altitude tracking.

P.S.

An easy too for tracking routes is Garmin's Connect web tool. http://connect.garmin.com/

You can upload your routes or search for routes others have ridden in any area you plan to go.

Originally Posted by sitzmark .

P.S.

An easy too for tracking routes is Garmin's Connect web tool. http://connect.garmin.com/

You can upload your routes or search for routes others have ridden in any area you plan to go.

Another good one is http://www.strava.com/

I've since looked at a thorough review http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/08/garmin-edge-200-in-depth-review.html and it seems the gpx format is supported; I could get those files from many sources (including our club, which increasingly publishes the routes this way). Thanks again!

I've since looked at a thorough review http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/08/garmin-edge-200-in-depth-review.html and it seems the gpx format is supported; I could get those files from many sources (including our club, which increasingly publishes the routes this way). Thanks again!
It's easy to convert to and from gpx and tcx, as well as fits. If you've got a Garmin, there's are a few websites that you can use to generate routes in the format you need.

I first used a Nuvi 205 a couple of years ago on a trip out west. It slides onto an available handlebar mount, just like the bike-specific units. On that first trip, I just carried it in my jersey pocket, and used the spoken commands to guide me back thru Santa Fe after my ex-racer buddies dropped me on the climb up to the ski station north of town. Drawbacks are the lack of waterproofing and limited battery life of about 2-3 hours. Have found the battery life isn't such a big deal if you just keep the unit off until you need it, but the lack of water resistance is a real issue on the kinds of rides where I need the GPS help.

Have a 705 now which is rain-proof and has a 15 hour battery life. It was pricey new, but I got it by trading a fixed-gear bike to a buddy who upgraded to the 800. I rarely use it locally, but it's nice to have along for exploration rides, or just for confidence in places where I've not been in a while.

Sorry ... missed that you were looking at the 200 and not 205/305 series. You're all set with DCR's review. Have fun with it - certainly beats stopping to read cuesheets and there are many sources for routes/courses including mapping out your own. I used to use GPSies.com a lot for converting gpx files. Many I ride with use ridewithgps.com to plan and share group ride routes. Lots of choices....