General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

GPS Map Datum- Picos de Europa

Started by Maldavies2 · · Last activity · 4 posts · 720 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
5 April 2004
Last activity
12 April 2004
Original author
Maldavies2
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
720
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Am going to the Picos this week; will be using Miguel Angel
    Adrados maps which have some very precise grid refs for the
    main peaks.

    Use a Garmin Etrex; would anyone know which Grid Format/ Map
    Datum would best relate to this area and the Adrados map?
    The reference on the map is to European Datum 1950 (albeit
    that this is a 2003 version of the map)

    Cheers if anyone can help out.

  2. Sorry for delay in replying.

    I've used European Datum 1950 on these maps and it
    seems to work.

    David Gibbins

    "Maldavies2" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:20040405131506.03836.00000690@mb-
    m29.aol.com...

    Quoted message said:

    Am going to the Picos this week; will be using Miguel
    Angel Adrados maps


    which

    Quoted message said:

    have some very precise grid refs for the main peaks.

    Use a Garmin Etrex; would anyone know which Grid Format/
    Map Datum would


    best

    Quoted message said:

    relate to this area and the Adrados map? The reference on
    the map is to European Datum 1950 (albeit that this is a
    2003 version of the map)

    Cheers if anyone can help out.

  3. Although I live in the south of Spain, I think the whole
    Spanish IGN series is based on the Euro 1950 datum. If you
    are worried, just turn on the GPS whereever you are staying
    and fiddle with the buttons until the machine tells you
    where you are ;-)

    Jim www.seasonallyunadjusted.com

  4. (Jim) said:

    Although I live in the south of Spain, I think the whole
    Spanish IGN series is based on the Euro 1950 datum.

    I can confirm that my GPS agrees with IGN maps on Mallorca
    when set to Euro 1950 datum and using UTM grid.

    The Adrados maps of the Picos which I have are about 10
    years old and don't give a datum, nor do they have a
    standard 1km grid, but I would guess that the datum will be
    the same as the IGN series. I'm sure if Adrados had drawn
    them using WGS84 as datum it would be stated on the map.
    Latest versions may be more GPS-friendly I expect.

    --
    Pete Bland

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.