GPS Navi's

nbfman

Sep 12, 2005
Was curious how may folks had GPS navi's on their bike, and, if so, which one?

I don't know anyone with a gps ON their bike, most of the guys I ride with will pull out the old Iphone if we get lost. I have wondered how they would be while riding.

The 705's a great cycling computer. Right now my biggest use of the GPS side is as a virtual partner, wherein I can race myself over the same route as a previous ride. It's also pretty nice to get a route from someone else and then have the unit cue for turns. It doesn't, however, work like a car's GPS and automatically give you directions to a chosen destination.

On the computer side, it does anything you can want, really, including collecting power data from ANT enabled power meters.

alienator said:
The 705's a great cycling computer. Right now my biggest use of the GPS side is as a virtual partner, wherein I can race myself over the same route as a previous ride. It's also pretty nice to get a route from someone else and then have the unit cue for turns. It doesn't, however, work like a car's GPS and automatically give you directions to a chosen destination.

On the computer side, it does anything you can want, really, including collecting power data from ANT enabled power meters.

What I would like to see is a wrist mounted, GPS based, cycle computer, w/o the need for a separate receiver, like the one ya gotta put in your back pocket. Not to navigate with but to show speed, distance, etc, but on the wrist, with nothing on the bike.

Peter@vecchios said:
What I would like to see is a wrist mounted, GPS based, cycle computer, w/o the need for a separate receiver, like the one ya gotta put in your back pocket. Not to navigate with but to show speed, distance, etc, but on the wrist, with nothing on the bike.

Been around for some time. I use it for both riding and running. Fantastic peice of gear. Garmin 305 Forerunner

cf-md.jpg

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=349

Personally if it were only for biking I go with the ones desigend to mount on the handlebars or stem.

I now use the Garmin 205, only just got it, already one of my fav gadgets.
Its the more basic model but has what I need on it.
nbfman said:

Garmin Nuvi 255 here. It's really a car unit, but with the accessory handlebar mount, clips securely to the stem. I only use it for rides were I need navigation help, or want to find a restaurant or coffee shop in a new town. The voice prompt feature is actually pretty handy too since it's audible the unit is in a jersey pocket.....no need to follow a distracting display when you're trying to get through a strange town on good bike streets.

Same here. A Garmin Nuvi from the car that goes on my handlebars when the route dictates it.

I've been using the Garmen Legend CX (purchased in 2007) and generally like it. However, I recently saw a hand-held navi by Mio, and the quality of the map, the screen size, and response speed were noticably better. Anyone familiar with Mio?

garmin 750/705? one of these years I may figure out how to use it "all" The wife bought it for xmas, as I mentioned one night, mag in hand, off-handedly it might be fun/good if I ever traveled
nbfman said:

pat5319 said:
garmin 750/705? one of these years I may figure out how to use it "all" The wife bought it for xmas, as I mentioned one night, mag in hand, off-handedly it might be fun/good if I ever traveled

It's good at a lot of things: riding a route someone else created; racing against yourself; nearly every kind of data a cyclist could want. As a bonus, it hides unsightly bulges.

Garmin Edge 205. It's kinda crude, but it will point the way home when I get myself lost in really foreign territory.

Yeah, I know these things are useful, I was tryin to be funny. I kinda like it but I could have used something else more, as I already had two Mavic wireles computers, and have never had trouble getting lost, and I'm too damned old and busted up to get very serious about training, I can taste when I'm anarobic anyhow

alienator said:
It's good at a lot of things: riding a route someone else created; racing against yourself; nearly every kind of data a cyclist could want. As a bonus, it hides unsightly bulges.

alienator said:

Hey Alienator, you can get directions from the 705 like a car one, although it wont talk to you & tell you where to turn, it just beeps when you have a turn coming up & then an arrow.
You do need to buy the extra maps thing for it though, so i guess thats a way of garmin slugging us another $200.

I use a 705 too and i bought the maps so i could try it out & use it for when i travel around.
Awesome bit of electronics!