GPS, Panniers-Touring Equip Combinations

MKuzma

Apr 11, 2007
I am planning an unsupported solo 6 day ride - my first. I am looking for advice on 2 things:

1.) Recommendations for Panniers and Rack.

2.) Electronic Equipment combination: I recently purchased a Garmin 305. I want to download my data each night but I don't want to bring a laptop. I was wondering if anyone had tried downloading to a PDA (ie: Blackberry) - how does it work and will this meet my geeky desires before I go purchase one? If not, any suggestions?

I'll be in 1/2 rural, half suburban areas. I will stay in hotels and not camp so I don't need to cart around meals.

MKuzma said:
I am planning an unsupported solo 6 day ride - my first. I am looking for advice on 2 things:

1.) Recommendations for Panniers and Rack.

2.) Electronic Equipment combination: I recently purchased a Garmin 305. I want to download my data each night but I don't want to bring a laptop. I was wondering if anyone had tried downloading to a PDA (ie: Blackberry) - how does it work and will this meet my geeky desires before I go purchase one? If not, any suggestions?

I'll be in 1/2 rural, half suburban areas. I will stay in hotels and not camp so I don't need to cart around meals.
Take a look at the Topeak racks and their new Pannier Dry Bags.
You will want something that fits your bicycle well and provides mounting location such that your panniers will clear your heels as your feet revolve around.
I also suggest a handlebar bag with a map window on the top. Topeak makes those too. I know that I sound like an advertisement for Topeak, but I have no connection with them. I use their Road Morph pump and Alien tool and like them. I also use their OS Rack with built-in storage for U-Lock. It is another great solution for commuting.
I will be interested in responses you get regarding Garmin 305. Have you figured out what you will do for battery life? Will recharging at the hotel each night cover you?
Garmin 305 looks like a nice unit. It will be interesting to see how all the refinements/accessories work out.