GPS Reset itself!

Leonard Trim

Guest
Switched my GPS on for a quick check and found it to be displaying latitude and longitude in degrees
and minutes instead of good old grid references. Unfortunately i have forgotten the settings. At the
minute i have entered on my Garmin GPSII British Grid for Position and WGS 84 for Datum.
Unfortunately this is giving me a position a few hundred metres out. Also slightly perturbed to note
that it was only giving me a 2D fix not a 3D one when i had a clear sky. Thanks to anyone with the
correct settings. My wife says that the leap year has fooled it!

--
Len Trim [email protected]

Leonard Trim <[email protected]> wrote
>Switched my GPS on for a quick check and found it to be displaying latitude and longitude in
>degrees and minutes instead of good old grid references. Unfortunately i have forgotten the
>settings. At the minute i have entered on my Garmin GPSII British Grid for Position and WGS 84
>for Datum.

I set mine to OSGB datum.

> Unfortunately this is giving me a position a few hundred metres out. Also slightly perturbed to
> note that it was only giving me a 2D fix not a 3D one when i had a clear sky. Thanks to anyone
> with the correct settings. My wife says that the leap year has fooled it!

Thanks for reminding me to download the track from today's walk!
--
Gordon

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 20:15:56 GMT, Leonard Trim wrote:

>Switched my GPS on for a quick check and found it to be displaying latitude and longitude in
>degrees and minutes instead of good old grid references. Unfortunately i have forgotten the
>settings. At the minute i have entered on my Garmin GPSII British Grid for Position and WGS 84
>for Datum.

Is this any help?

http://www.garmin.com/support/userManual.jsp?market=3&subcategory=38&product=010-00128-00

It should be just a case of pressing page until you get the Main Menu

use up/down to select System Menu

press page till you get Nav Setup

Select position and change it British Grid (you seem to have done this already)

Select Map Datum and set it to Ord Srvy GB

While you are there you can set units to Staute (miles feet) Metric (km m) or Nautical (miles knots)

Thanks for the settings guys. What had happened is that I had changed the batteries and the wee
internal battery had failed to maintain the settings. As I have had the GPS for at least 5 years the
internal battery has obviously died on me. Changing it is probably a return to Garmin job so I will
just have to note down the settings in future. Fortunately I do not have to worry about the memory
maintaining trackpoints as I only ever use the GPS to get the occasional grid reference.

--
Len Trim [email protected]