GPS Reset itself!

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Leonard Trim, Feb 29, 2004.

  1. Leonard Trim

    Leonard Trim Guest

    Switched my GPS on for a quick check and found it to be displaying latitude and longitude in degrees
    and minutes instead of good old grid references. Unfortunately i have forgotten the settings. At the
    minute i have entered on my Garmin GPSII British Grid for Position and WGS 84 for Datum.
    Unfortunately this is giving me a position a few hundred metres out. Also slightly perturbed to note
    that it was only giving me a 2D fix not a 3D one when i had a clear sky. Thanks to anyone with the
    correct settings. My wife says that the leap year has fooled it!

    --
    Len Trim [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Leonard Trim <[email protected]> wrote
    >Switched my GPS on for a quick check and found it to be displaying latitude and longitude in
    >degrees and minutes instead of good old grid references. Unfortunately i have forgotten the
    >settings. At the minute i have entered on my Garmin GPSII British Grid for Position and WGS 84
    >for Datum.

    I set mine to OSGB datum.

    > Unfortunately this is giving me a position a few hundred metres out. Also slightly perturbed to
    > note that it was only giving me a 2D fix not a 3D one when i had a clear sky. Thanks to anyone
    > with the correct settings. My wife says that the leap year has fooled it!

    Thanks for reminding me to download the track from today's walk!
    --
    Gordon

  3. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 20:15:56 GMT, Leonard Trim wrote:

    >Switched my GPS on for a quick check and found it to be displaying latitude and longitude in
    >degrees and minutes instead of good old grid references. Unfortunately i have forgotten the
    >settings. At the minute i have entered on my Garmin GPSII British Grid for Position and WGS 84
    >for Datum.

    Is this any help?

    http://www.garmin.com/support/userManual.jsp?market=3&subcategory=38&product=010-00128-00

    It should be just a case of pressing page until you get the Main Menu

    use up/down to select System Menu

    press page till you get Nav Setup

    Select position and change it British Grid (you seem to have done this already)

    Select Map Datum and set it to Ord Srvy GB

    While you are there you can set units to Staute (miles feet) Metric (km m) or Nautical (miles knots)

  4. Leonard Trim

    Leonard Trim Guest

    Thanks for the settings guys. What had happened is that I had changed the batteries and the wee
    internal battery had failed to maintain the settings. As I have had the GPS for at least 5 years the
    internal battery has obviously died on me. Changing it is probably a return to Garmin job so I will
    just have to note down the settings in future. Fortunately I do not have to worry about the memory
    maintaining trackpoints as I only ever use the GPS to get the occasional grid reference.

    --
    Len Trim [email protected]