We collected some GPS data about cycling black spots and road hazards. Database will be mainly used in automotive fixed and portable GPS devices.
As increasing number of cyclists use mounted portable GPS navigation systems, we are looking for your opinion if this database is of any use for a cyclists owing GPS device. Database maintenance and distribution is a bit of hard work. We would like to avoid unnecessary work if you think that there is no use for the cycling black spots GPS database.
As increasing number of cyclists use mounted portable GPS navigation systems, we are looking for your opinion if this database is of any use for a cyclists owing GPS device. Database maintenance and distribution is a bit of hard work. We would like to avoid unnecessary work if you think that there is no use for the cycling black spots GPS database.
I personally use a portable GPS to train with (Garmin Forerunner) in lieu of a cycle computer. I don't use any of the navigation functions on it (on the road at least). To date I'm the only person I've ever noted using a personal GPS on a bike.
I'd think you are probably wasting your time building the database.
We collected some GPS data about cycling black spots and road hazards. Database will be mainly used in automotive fixed and portable GPS devices.
As increasing number of cyclists use mounted portable GPS navigation systems, we are looking for your opinion if this database is of any use for a cyclists owing GPS device. Database maintenance and distribution is a bit of hard work. We would like to avoid unnecessary work if you think that there is no use for the cycling black spots GPS database.
Your feedback is highly appreciated.
Paul
I use a GPS on my mountain bike but not on the roads. I'd suggest the data would be better used in cars.
It depends on how the data is to be used. If it brings up some sort of alarm that warns a car driver to be especially careful of cyclists in a particular area then it could be a good idea. The way I see it, if there's an area where a lot of cyclists may be present such as a cycle path crossing, narrow road frequented by cyclists, a school or club training area, and drivers are warned of this, then I see that it could be a useful idea. You could probably include popular running and horse riding areas too. I reckon a GPS mapping firm would pay for a database like that.
1. I use a GPS on my mountain bike but not on the roads. I'd suggest the data would be better used in cars.
It depends on how the data is to be used. If it brings up some sort of alarm that warns a car driver to be especially careful of cyclists in a particular area then it could be a good idea. The way I see it, if there's an area where a lot of cyclists may be present such as a cycle path crossing, narrow road frequented by cyclists, a school or club training area, and drivers are warned of this, then I see that it could be a useful idea. You could probably include popular running and horse riding areas too. I reckon a GPS mapping firm would pay for a database like that.
😎
Data would be used in cars, but COULD be used on portable bike mounted devices as well. Car drivers AND cyclists would be alerted with visual alert (icon) and sound alert (hardware/software dependent) when approaching dangerous area. This is just the project in early development stage, but we have already got another excellent suggestion about horse riding areas! Thanks.
Data would be used in cars, but COULD be used on portable bike mounted devices as well. Car drivers AND cyclists would be alerted with visual alert (icon) and sound alert (hardware/software dependent) when approaching dangerous area. This is just the project in early development stage, but we have already got another excellent suggestion about horse riding areas! Thanks.
Maybe you also need to invent an easy way of mounting a GPS on a horse, it'd be great for endurance riders. Probably something that goes onto the front of the saddle rather than something that screws directly into the horse. 🙄