Gps security for bikes

fapper

Apr 24, 2016
Not sure if someone made a thread about this yet. I think hiding a small gps devices inside the frame of bikes is a really good idea, especially if you own an expensive bike. The thief isn't going to take the time to disassemble the bike looking for a gps while he's trying to steal it. After it's stolen, you can locate it then call the cops and get your bike back :)

Any aditional precautions can come in handy as long as you can afford it. For me is a bit excessive, but thats just me that I'm very paranoid in leaving alone my bike outside my house. If you live in a zone well known for robbery, then is a great idea.

That's the first time I've heard about it, but it's a really good idea actually, specially if your bike is expensive. Maybe I'll get one for mine!

I was trying to find this gps unit as well, but not for a bike, for a car instead! Would be much safer and relieve so much stress if you know where your car is and you can track it down. I know there are some stuff like Trackar and Tile that can use gps and other peoples phones to find your bike and stuff.

My buddy has one of the ones that you monitor from your phone, its pretty cool. They can get kind of pricey though from what I understand, not really "security " though if you think about it.

My buddy has one of the ones that you monitor from your phone, its pretty cool. They can get kind of pricey though from what I understand, not really "security " though if you think about it.

Not really. I know that Trackar and Tile can go for as cheap as 30$. That is a really good deal and most people can get that easily! :D

It's not a bad idea, as most bicycle thieves would never figure that the bike they just stole would have an implanted gps device. And I think it's definitely a worthwhile investment for those with very expensive bikes. Perhaps, it will even help to reduce insurance costs for those that actually insure their bikes.

That would be a good idea but you would have to have your batteries always charged and I think most people would simply forget to do it.

Wow! This is a wonderful idea. I love it. The GPS technique can be used to locate the stolen bike. I device must be in a 'hidden' position and then only, the idea would work. :D

I had my bike stolen and luckily I found it after six months but this is actually a great idea. I guess the device would cost more than my bike's value but if I buy a more expensive one I will try to have this gadget because it is really, really good. I mean it sounds good. I am not sure who is making these if somebody is but I would definitely buy one if the price would be reasonable enough.

I honestly don't think it will help, cars have them too, and car thieves can remove them just like that. The best precaution you can have to not get your bike stolen is just to not leave it in public places without a lock, or make sure to leave it near a guard station or something. Having a GPS tracker wouldn't help because if the bike thieves are crafty, they'll just remove it a few blocks after they have stolen your ride, and be on their way.

Yes it is a great idea. Cars have it why not? They call it a LoJack. I've had a few bikes taken. I kind of know who did it, both times. No tracking on them. Something to think about, tracking them. People are ridiculous eventually it comes back to bite them in the face. Bike companies should just have that on a bike considering the cost of some of them.

do you guys think its worth it to get a gps tracker?

NO, at least with present technology. I saw a film done about 3 months ago with a news reporter and a police officer in Chicago where they put a GPS tracker (designed to track stolen bikes) to capture and arrest bike thieves which are rampant in Chicago. The two had to be in a car watching the bike, when the bike was taken they had to chase the perp because the range in the city was only a couple of blocks. What does this mean you scream? Obviously this means if someone steals your bike, the device alerts your cell phone, you go running outside but the guy is on your bike pedaling away from you at 15 plus mph and all you're going to be able to do is run, it won't be long before he's out of range then it becomes a guessing game which way he went. Then the thief starts to dismantle your bike, finds the GPS and throws it in the trash, so even if at some point you get lucky and reacquire the signal at least you can get your GPS homing device back, and then you can put it on your new bike!

These anti theft devices are not cheap, they range from $150 to $400, add to that a really good lock for another $90, for that kind of money you spend on theft protection you would be better off buying a used bike for around the $250 range with a $45 lock and leave the good bike safe and sound at home for your rides when you don't have to lock it up outside. Keep in mind, with today's battery power tool world a thief can have an angle grinder and cut even the best lock in 30 seconds or less. So there is no way to really protect a bike from theft in a high theft area if you have to park it outside without keeping eyes on it. Another option a lot thieves due is strip your components off the bike, and there is no way to track those or lock up.

Another point from Froze - where do you place it on a bike? You could put it inside a tube on a carbon fiber bike but you couldn't do that on a titanium, aluminum or steel bike because a signal will not go through metal.

There is a better thing on the market and it's not even bike related...weird why bicycle industry hasn't done a better job especially when considering this, there is a company called TILE that makes a device that is about an inch square and about 1/8th of an inch thick that is designed to be put on your key chain, laptop, or on anything and you can track it anywhere in the world, so a person could use the tile and place it on a bike, and the tile thing is a lot less expensive then the bike specific ones and works a great deal better.

Obviously the challenge would be where to mount it. I think a person could take a TILE and either glue it onto the inside of a crankarm or glue to the underside of the saddle, either area would allow the TILE to transmit. But read this first to find out how it works: https://9to5mac.com/2013/06/20/tile...ind-lost-items-via-crowd-sourcing-iphone-app/

There is a better thing on the market and it's not even bike related...weird why bicycle industry hasn't done a better job especially when considering this, there is a company called TILE that makes a device that is about an inch square and about 1/8th of an inch thick that is designed to be put on your key chain, laptop, or on anything and you can track it anywhere in the world, so a person could use the tile and place it on a bike, and the tile thing is a lot less expensive then the bike specific ones and works a great deal better.

Obviously the challenge would be where to mount it. I think a person could take a TILE and either glue it onto the inside of a crankarm or glue to the underside of the saddle, either area would allow the TILE to transmit. But read this first to find out how it works: https://9to5mac.com/2013/06/20/tile...ind-lost-items-via-crowd-sourcing-iphone-app/

If I understand the company blurbs, the Tile has self-adhesive on the underside. You could stick it on the underside of the saddle. Also it only gives a return when pinged so it has a ten year life expectancy. This would really be the thing for expensive bikes.

But when you watch super-light bike owners buying carbon fiber saddles with no padding on them or carrying a flat kit in their jersey pockets to be able to brag about how light their bikes are, I doubt that they would glue a full ounce (a little over 28 grams) onto their bikes.

There are cases where bikes are also being stolen nowadays. It is indeed a good idea to put a GPS tracker on our bicycles which is connected with our smartphones to see where the stolen bike is located and report it to the police as well.

There are cases where bikes are also being stolen nowadays. It is indeed a good idea to put a GPS tracker on our bicycles which is connected with our smartphones to see where the stolen bike is located and report it to the police as well.

All of this is fine but who here thinks that expensive bikes are being stolen by stupid people? There is nowhere you could place an after market GPS tracker that couldn't simply be pulled off and thrown into the river.