We'll be off to the south of France soon, for a week's holiday that will include some walking. I wonder if someone could tell me how to set up the Geko (301) to use the IGN TOP25 GPS grid?
Regarding the maps themselves, would I be right in thinking that the French GPS grid works like ours, with a zone, an easting and a northing? Looking at (for example) IGN TOP25 map 3443 OT I see in the small print something about 'fuseau 34'. Is this the zone?
Regards, Nick. -- Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton Caversham, Reading, England <[email hidden]
We'll be off to the south of France soon, for a week's holiday that will include some walking. I wonder if someone could tell me how to set up the Geko (301) to use the IGN TOP25 GPS grid?
Set the grid to UTM and the datum to WGS84.
Quoted message said:
Regarding the maps themselves, would I be right in thinking that the French GPS grid works like ours, with a zone, an easting and a northing? Looking at (for example) IGN TOP25 map 3443 OT I see in the small print something about 'fuseau 34'. Is this the zone?
It works as you say with an easting and a northing, Idk what the fuseau is for but ime you can ignore it when using the maps with a GPS.
We'll be off to the south of France soon, for a week's holiday that will include some walking. I wonder if someone could tell me how to set up the Geko (301) to use the IGN TOP25 GPS grid?
Set the grid to UTM and the datum to WGS84.
Quoted message said:
Regarding the maps themselves, would I be right in thinking that the French GPS grid works like ours, with a zone, an easting and a northing? Looking at (for example) IGN TOP25 map 3443 OT I see in the small print something about 'fuseau 34'. Is this the zone?
It works as you say with an easting and a northing, Idk what the fuseau is for but ime you can ignore it when using the maps with a GPS.
A UTM position to 100m is given as:
12A 345 6789
12A denotes the zone, this is what the French call fuseau. 345 is the easting and 6789 the northing. -- Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"