GPS Software

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Tom Bombadil, Jan 25, 2003.

  1. Tom Bombadil

    Tom Bombadil Guest

    I've got a garmin etrex that I use as a speedo and in case I get lost but I would quite like, when I
    get back to plug it into my PC and see where I've been, the elevation profile and what speed I was
    doing along the way. Does anybody know any software that does this ?

    Tags:

  2. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "Tom Bombadil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | I've got a garmin etrex that I use as a speedo and in case I get lost but I would quite like, when
    | I get back to plug it into my PC and see where I've been, the elevation profile and what speed I
    | was doing along the way. Does anybody know any software that does this ?

    You need to post this in alt.satellite.gps for a reasonable answer :eek:)

    Simon.......I got the etrex vista coming soon

  3. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > I've got a garmin etrex that I use as a speedo

    That sounds very uncomfortable.

  4. Sec

    Sec Guest

    On 25 Jan 2003 07:20:05 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Bombadil) wrote:

    >I've got a garmin etrex that I use as a speedo and in case I get lost but I would quite like, when
    >I get back to plug it into my PC and see where I've been, the elevation profile and what speed I
    >was doing along the way. Does anybody know any software that does this ?

    Use this: http://www.easygps.com/default.asp

  5. L Hays

    L Hays Guest

    "Tom Bombadil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've got a garmin etrex that I use as a speedo and in case I get lost but I would quite like, when
    > I get back to plug it into my PC and see where I've been, the elevation profile and what speed I
    > was doing along the way. Does anybody know any software that does this ?

    Tom,

    This is one that a few of our local guys use:

    http://www.trekanalysis.com

    Good stuff.

    Lance

  6. Pj

    Pj Guest

    Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that EasyGPS does any of what he wants i.e. draw the track
    on a calibrated map, draw an elevation profile or show speed.

    I would recommend http://www.trailgauge.com as it does all of that including a speed graph that
    shows your speed at all points along the route - I haven't come across any others that have a speed
    graph as most programs like this seemed to be aimed at walkers.

    "sec" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On 25 Jan 2003 07:20:05 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Bombadil) wrote:
    >
    > >I've got a garmin etrex that I use as a speedo and in case I get lost but I would quite like,
    > >when I get back to plug it into my PC and see where I've been, the elevation profile and what
    > >speed I was doing along the way. Does anybody know any software that does this ?
    >
    > Use this: http://www.easygps.com/default.asp

  7. > > I've got a garmin etrex that I use as a speedo

    > That sounds very uncomfortable.

    ehehehehe

    Small Black Dog

  8. Gabrielle

    Gabrielle Guest

    On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 08:15:45 -0800, John Harlow wrote:

    >> I've got a garmin etrex that I use as a speedo
    >
    > That sounds very uncomfortable.

    Heh, that's what I was thinking.

    gabrielle

  9. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Tom

    Try http://www.Expertgps.com They have a two week trial that you can download your route onto,
    topos, satellite photos and other various choices including your own imported map. It is pretty
    cool to have an aerial photo of the trip and a topo. Gives a good perspective for long,
    backcountry rides.

    Let us know how you like it. Bob "Tom Bombadil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've got a garmin etrex that I use as a speedo and in case I get lost but I would quite like, when
    > I get back to plug it into my PC and see where I've been, the elevation profile and what speed I
    > was doing along the way. Does anybody know any software that does this ?

  10. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    Tom Bombadil wrote:
    > I've got a garmin etrex that I use as a speedo and in case I get lost but I would quite like, when
    > I get back to plug it into my PC and see where I've been, the elevation profile and what speed I
    > was doing along the way. Does anybody know any software that does this ?

    depending on what model you have. the GPS unit should show you: read the owners manual. That aside,
    the Garmin site has info on what map prgrams are compatible, and there are rumored to be .pdf
    manuals for download. Oh, and you need the GPS/computer cable too.

    We've got the Summit and it'll give MPH and elevation profile right there, no need to download.

    Penny

  11. ESRI ArcPad

    www.esri.com

    On 25 Jan 2003 07:20:05 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Bombadil) wrote:

    >I've got a garmin etrex that I use as a speedo and in case I get lost but I would quite like, when
    >I get back to plug it into my PC and see where I've been, the elevation profile and what speed I
    >was doing along the way. Does anybody know any software that does this ?

  12. Gman

    Gman Guest

    On 25 Jan 2003 07:20:05 -0800, Tom Bombadil <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I've got a garmin etrex that I use as a speedo and in case I get lost but I would quite like, when
    > I get back to plug it into my PC and see where I've been, the elevation profile and what speed I
    > was doing along the way. Does anybody know any software that does this ?

    Tom,

    I've been trying out http://www.topofusion.com

    Scott (the author) posted here a couple of months ago. His software is impressive. It's lightning
    fast, and downloads free maps from either USGS (for topo) or Microsoft Terraserver (for Aerial).

    Topofusion does tracks, and elevation profiles very well.

    The software works with Magellan and Garmin units. I have a Magellan SporTrak Pro and the author has
    mentinoed he has a Garmin Etrex Vista.

    Scott has been very responsive when I've asked him questions. There's a free demo, give it a shot. I
    think he wants $40 to register. I will likely pay. It's a quality product.

    Good luck, G

  13. Simon Smith

    Simon Smith Guest

    [email protected] (Tom Bombadil) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've got a garmin etrex that I use as a speedo and in case I get lost but I would quite like, when
    > I get back to plug it into my PC and see where I've been, the elevation profile and what speed I
    > was doing along the way. Does anybody know any software that does this ?

    I think Trailgauge does this. I use it without a GPS just for mapping my trails to give me an idea
    of the difficulty. It gives speed and time predictions based on the elevation profile, and I seem to
    remember reading that if you use a GPS it downloads the actual times for your track.

    Its also free, if you don't need the GPS functions.

  14. elevation profile may not be all that reliable with GPS, but if your unit stores the points as a
    line-feature, you could map them on a GIS, such as ArcView. I have used a Trimble GPS before and it
    comes with software which will map it for you.

    At one time, Outdoorsportz.com was doing trail maps for people using lat/longs. Don't know if they
    are still involved with that or not.