GPS Software

Tom Bombadil

Guest
I've got a garmin etrex that I use as a speedo and in case I get lost but I would quite like, when I
get back to plug it into my PC and see where I've been, the elevation profile and what speed I was
doing along the way. Does anybody know any software that does this ?

"Tom Bombadil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| I've got a garmin etrex that I use as a speedo and in case I get lost but I would quite like, when
| I get back to plug it into my PC and see where I've been, the elevation profile and what speed I
| was doing along the way. Does anybody know any software that does this ?

You need to post this in alt.satellite.gps for a reasonable answer :eek:)

Simon.......I got the etrex vista coming soon

> I've got a garmin etrex that I use as a speedo

That sounds very uncomfortable.

Use this: http://www.easygps.com/default.asp

"Tom Bombadil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've got a garmin etrex that I use as a speedo and in case I get lost but I would quite like, when
> I get back to plug it into my PC and see where I've been, the elevation profile and what speed I
> was doing along the way. Does anybody know any software that does this ?

Tom,

This is one that a few of our local guys use:

http://www.trekanalysis.com

Good stuff.

Lance

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that EasyGPS does any of what he wants i.e. draw the track
on a calibrated map, draw an elevation profile or show speed.

I would recommend http://www.trailgauge.com as it does all of that including a speed graph that
shows your speed at all points along the route - I haven't come across any others that have a speed
graph as most programs like this seemed to be aimed at walkers.

"sec" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On 25 Jan 2003 07:20:05 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Bombadil) wrote:
>
> >I've got a garmin etrex that I use as a speedo and in case I get lost but I would quite like,
> >when I get back to plug it into my PC and see where I've been, the elevation profile and what
> >speed I was doing along the way. Does anybody know any software that does this ?
>
> Use this: http://www.easygps.com/default.asp

> > I've got a garmin etrex that I use as a speedo
>
> That sounds very uncomfortable.

ehehehehe

Small Black Dog

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 08:15:45 -0800, John Harlow wrote:

>> I've got a garmin etrex that I use as a speedo
>
> That sounds very uncomfortable.

Heh, that's what I was thinking.

gabrielle

Tom

Try http://www.Expertgps.com They have a two week trial that you can download your route onto,
topos, satellite photos and other various choices including your own imported map. It is pretty
cool to have an aerial photo of the trip and a topo. Gives a good perspective for long,
backcountry rides.

news:[email protected]...

Tom Bombadil wrote:
> I've got a garmin etrex that I use as a speedo and in case I get lost but I would quite like, when
> I get back to plug it into my PC and see where I've been, the elevation profile and what speed I
> was doing along the way. Does anybody know any software that does this ?

depending on what model you have. the GPS unit should show you: read the owners manual. That aside,
the Garmin site has info on what map prgrams are compatible, and there are rumored to be .pdf
manuals for download. Oh, and you need the GPS/computer cable too.

We've got the Summit and it'll give MPH and elevation profile right there, no need to download.

Penny

ESRI ArcPad

www.esri.com

On 25 Jan 2003 07:20:05 -0800, Tom Bombadil <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've got a garmin etrex that I use as a speedo and in case I get lost but I would quite like, when
> I get back to plug it into my PC and see where I've been, the elevation profile and what speed I
> was doing along the way. Does anybody know any software that does this ?

Tom,

I've been trying out http://www.topofusion.com

Scott (the author) posted here a couple of months ago. His software is impressive. It's lightning
fast, and downloads free maps from either USGS (for topo) or Microsoft Terraserver (for Aerial).

Topofusion does tracks, and elevation profiles very well.

The software works with Magellan and Garmin units. I have a Magellan SporTrak Pro and the author has
mentinoed he has a Garmin Etrex Vista.

Scott has been very responsive when I've asked him questions. There's a free demo, give it a shot. I
think he wants $40 to register. I will likely pay. It's a quality product.

Good luck, G

[email protected] (Tom Bombadil) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I've got a garmin etrex that I use as a speedo and in case I get lost but I would quite like, when
> I get back to plug it into my PC and see where I've been, the elevation profile and what speed I
> was doing along the way. Does anybody know any software that does this ?

I think Trailgauge does this. I use it without a GPS just for mapping my trails to give me an idea
of the difficulty. It gives speed and time predictions based on the elevation profile, and I seem to
remember reading that if you use a GPS it downloads the actual times for your track.

Its also free, if you don't need the GPS functions.

elevation profile may not be all that reliable with GPS, but if your unit stores the points as a
line-feature, you could map them on a GIS, such as ArcView. I have used a Trimble GPS before and it
comes with software which will map it for you.

At one time, Outdoorsportz.com was doing trail maps for people using lat/longs. Don't know if they
are still involved with that or not.