GPS Software

Colin Dawson

Guest
Hi All.

I've got a Garmin eTrex (the yellow one) which I bought a couple of years ago. It've been using it
for astronomy (linked to my computerised scope, for position and time) and also as part of an in car
sat nav system :)

I've decided that this year I want to get out walking alot more, and wanted to be a little lazy when
it comes to route planning. My plan is to have a map an compass, work out the route, then load it
onto my GPS and go. I'm experienced enough to know that whilst GPS's are a good labour saving
device, they're not a replacement for the good old map an compass.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for software that I an use to help me plan my routes?
What I'm looking for is something that will allow me to enter my route in a routecard style using OS
grid references then have that conveted and downloaded to the GPS as a route with waypoints. Also
I'd like to be able to pull off track logs, and other stuff from the GPS so that I can save for
later use.

Thanks in advance.

Colin.

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:03:11 +0000, Colin Dawson wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> I've got a Garmin eTrex (the yellow one) which I bought a couple of years ago. It've been using it
> for astronomy (linked to my computerised scope, for position and time) and also as part of an in
> car sat nav system :)

Hi Colin.

I recently invested in a Garmin Geko 201, and I have had good results using "GPS Trackmaker":

http://www.gpstm.com/

You can import a map (from Multimap, or streetmap, or a scanned in map), calibrate it, then place
waypoints on the map, then upload them to the GPS using the software. You can also download tracks /
waypoints / routes from the GPS, and overlay them onto an OS map.

This program is free!

regards

--
Brian

http://www.gpsu.co.uk/

Excellent software- lightweight, functional, reliable. And great user support too!

(I'm a user, not a paid campaigner!)

Jim

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:03:11 +0000 (UTC), "Colin Dawson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi All.
>
>I've got a Garmin eTrex (the yellow one) which I bought a couple of years ago. It've been using it
>for astronomy (linked to my computerised scope, for position and time) and also as part of an in
>car sat nav system :)
>
>I've decided that this year I want to get out walking alot more, and wanted to be a little lazy
>when it comes to route planning. My plan is to have a map an compass, work out the route, then load
>it onto my GPS and go. I'm experienced enough to know that whilst GPS's are a good labour saving
>device, they're not a replacement for the good old map an compass.
>
>I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for software that I an use to help me plan my routes?
>What I'm looking for is something that will allow me to enter my route in a routecard style using
>OS grid references then have that conveted and downloaded to the GPS as a route with waypoints.
>Also I'd like to be able to pull off track logs, and other stuff from the GPS so that I can save
>for later use.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Colin.

Jim Willsher

Homepages at http://www.jimwillsher.co.uk

You should be a paid campaigner.

I've tested out both programs that were suggested. As a software programmer myself, I feel that user-
friendlyness is very important. I'd seen GPS Trackmaker before, about a year or so ago when I was
playing about with my GPS and serial comms (I was thinking about writing a program to transfer data,
but can't be bothered)

I find that the menu for GPS Trackmaker isn't very intuative, and being to bigheaded to bother
looking at a manual, have taken a dislike to the program.

GPSU on the other hand, does everything that I want and more. The data entry seems pretty good, and
the idea of being able to print out map overlays is great. The £27.50 for registration does seem a
little high, but I think it'll be worth it as it'd cost me a lot more than that in time to learn how
to communicate with the Garmin (time that I could spend out and about). The small dataset's freeware
cripple makes is really difficult for me to test the program out, as there's about 1500 track log
points that I need to download. (It's got the data of a walk that I took, that I want to save,
amongst other things) which I can't get at! It looks so promising that I've taken a leap of faith,
hope the registration key gets here soon.

Thanks for the help

Colin.

"Jim Willsher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.gpsu.co.uk/
>
> Excellent software- lightweight, functional, reliable. And great user support too!
>
> (I'm a user, not a paid campaigner!)
>

> Jim
>

> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:03:11 +0000 (UTC), "Colin Dawson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Hi All.
> >
> >I've got a Garmin eTrex (the yellow one) which I bought a couple of years ago. It've been using
> >it for astronomy (linked to my computerised scope,
for
> >position and time) and also as part of an in car sat nav system :)
> >
> >I've decided that this year I want to get out walking alot more, and
wanted
> >to be a little lazy when it comes to route planning. My plan is to have
> >map an compass, work out the route, then load it onto my GPS and go. I'm experienced enough to
> >know that whilst GPS's are a good labour saving device, they're not a replacement for the good
> >old map an compass.
> >
> >I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for software that I an use
> >help me plan my routes? What I'm looking for is something that will
allow
> >me to enter my route in a routecard style using OS grid references then
have
> >that conveted and downloaded to the GPS as a route with waypoints. Also
I'd
> >like to be able to pull off track logs, and other stuff from the GPS so
that
> >I can save for later use.
> >
> >Thanks in advance.
> >
> >Colin.
> >

> Jim Willsher
>
> Homepages at http://www.jimwillsher.co.uk

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 23:07:08 +0000 (UTC), "Colin Dawson"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>GPSU on the other hand, does everything that I want and more. The data entry seems pretty good, and
>the idea of being able to print out map overlays is great. The £27.50 for registration does seem a
>little high,

But this is cheap compared to OziExplorer which costs $85.

And you probably have not used all the power of GPSU yet. There is much more to it than first
appearances.

John

>"Jim Willsher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> http://www.gpsu.co.uk/
>>
>> Excellent software- lightweight, functional, reliable. And great user support too!
>>
>> (I'm a user, not a paid campaigner!)
>>

>> Jim
>>

>> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 20:03:11 +0000 (UTC), "Colin Dawson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi All.
>> >
>> >I've got a Garmin eTrex (the yellow one) which I bought a couple of years ago. It've been using
>> >it for astronomy (linked to my computerised scope,
>for
>> >position and time) and also as part of an in car sat nav system :)
>> >
>> >I've decided that this year I want to get out walking alot more, and
>wanted
>> >to be a little lazy when it comes to route planning. My plan is to have
>> >map an compass, work out the route, then load it onto my GPS and go. I'm experienced enough to
>> >know that whilst GPS's are a good labour saving device, they're not a replacement for the good
>> >old map an compass.
>> >
>> >I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for software that I an use
>> >help me plan my routes? What I'm looking for is something that will
>allow
>> >me to enter my route in a routecard style using OS grid references then
>have
>> >that conveted and downloaded to the GPS as a route with waypoints. Also
>I'd
>> >like to be able to pull off track logs, and other stuff from the GPS so
>that
>> >I can save for later use.
>> >
>> >Thanks in advance.
>> >
>> >Colin.
>> >

>> Jim Willsher
>>
>> Homepages at http://www.jimwillsher.co.uk

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:34:53 +0000 (UTC), John Bartup
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 23:07:08 +0000 (UTC), "Colin Dawson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>GPSU on the other hand, does everything that I want and more. The data entry seems pretty good,
>>and the idea of being able to print out map overlays is great. The £27.50 for registration does
>>seem a little high,
>
>But this is cheap compared to OziExplorer which costs $85.

Kaz...

--

Paul

My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003):

http://paulrooney.netfirms.com

In a recent message <[email protected]>, Colin Dawson <[email protected]> wrote.

[...]
>I've got a Garmin eTrex (the yellow one)
[...]

[...]
>My plan is to have a map an compass, work out the route, then load it onto my GPS and go.
[...]

>I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for software that I an use to help me plan my routes?
>What I'm looking for is something that will allow me to enter my route in a routecard style using
>OS grid references then have that conveted and downloaded to the GPS as a route with waypoints.
>Also I'd like to be able to pull off track logs, and other stuff from the GPS so that I can save
>for later use.
[...]

I'd start by downloading GPS Trackmaker, it's free, it's good and it will do what you want. Don't
forget to download the help file too, it comes separately from the program.

If you don't get along with Trackmaker you might like to try GARtrip. There is a free demo version
of this that you can experiment with and if you like it you can buy the full version at very little
cost. My needs are much the same as yours and I use GARtrip, mainly because I find it easier to
calibrate scanned maps accurately with GARtrip than with Trackmaker.

Regards, Nick.

--
Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton Caversham, Reading, England <[email protected]

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:46:49 +0000, Paul Rooney wrote:

> Kaz...

Aaah, but do any of these packages work in linux using Wine? I'll have to test that out as my
preferred OS is linux - Not managed to get GPS Trackmaker working?

There is GPSMap, but it doesn't seem as good as GPS Trackmaker or GPS Utility

--
Brian

In a recent message <[email protected]>, Brian
<[email protected]> wrote.

[...]
>Aaah, but do any of these packages work in linux using Wine? I'll have to test that out as my
>preferred OS is linux - Not managed to get GPS Trackmaker working?
>
>There is GPSMap, but it doesn't seem as good as GPS Trackmaker or GPS Utility

Have you tried GPSMan? See, http://www.ncc.up.pt/gpsman/

It might suit a Linux expert but I can't get on with it at all.

Regards, Nick.

--
Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton Caversham, Reading, England <[email protected]

Nope, I've not used all the features yet. As a programmer myself, I wanted a program that was
simple for me
i.e. user friendly enough that I don't need to use the help file. A rule for me is that if I create
a program, any competent windows user should be able to make use of most of the features
without resorting to the help file.

I saw from about 30 mins of playing about, that GPSU gave me everything that I wanted (apart from
the Shareware limitiations, still registered now so that's not a problem anymore) and more! As I
said the idea of printing out a map overlay is a free bonous.

I think that it could still do with some work when printing out routes though. A military style
route card printer would finish the program completely. Oh well, can't have everything.

Colin.

"John Bartup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 23:07:08 +0000 (UTC), "Colin Dawson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >GPSU on the other hand, does everything that I want and more. The data entry seems pretty good,
> >and the idea of being able to print out map overlays is great. The £27.50 for registration does
> >seem a little high,
>
> But this is cheap compared to OziExplorer which costs $85.
>
> And you probably have not used all the power of GPSU yet. There is much more to it than first
> appearances.
>
> John
>

> >"Jim Willsher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> http://www.gpsu.co.uk/
> >>
> >> Excellent software- lightweight, functional, reliable. And great user support too!
> >>
> >> (I'm a user, not a paid campaigner!)
> >>

> >> Jim

> >for

> >wanted
I'm

> >allow
> >have
Also
> >I'd
> >that

> >> Jim Willsher
> >>
> >> Homepages at http://www.jimwillsher.co.uk

"Brian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> I recently invested in a Garmin Geko 201, and I have had good results using "GPS Trackmaker":

Me too - I had a scout around all the previously mentioned programs and settled on GPS Trackmaker as
it did everything I wanted (your needs sound like they are the same as mine are) and it is free! :eek:)

Daz

---

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:19:00 +0000 (UTC), "Colin Dawson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Nope, I've not used all the features yet. As a programmer myself, I wanted a program that was
>simple for me
>i.e. user friendly enough that I don't need to use the help file. A rule for me is that if I create
> a program, any competent windows user should be able to make use of most of the features
> without resorting to the help file.
>
>I saw from about 30 mins of playing about, that GPSU gave me everything that I wanted (apart from
>the Shareware limitiations, still registered now so that's not a problem anymore) and more! As I
>said the idea of printing out a map overlay is a free bonous.
>
>I think that it could still do with some work when printing out routes though. A military style
>route card printer would finish the program completely. Oh well, can't have everything.
>
>Colin.

Have you tried File/SavePrint Options and then select Route Details from the format box. - or select
a Route and then View/Reports? This may be what you require.

By the way it says on www.gpsu.co.uk/features.html that GPS Utility "has also been know to run under
SuSE Linux 7.3 Professional using a an emulator/sockets layer called "Wine" - but in this case the
Help System does not work"

John

>"John Bartup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 23:07:08 +0000 (UTC), "Colin Dawson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> >GPSU on the other hand, does everything that I want and more. The data entry seems pretty good,
>> >and the idea of being able to print out map overlays is great. The £27.50 for registration does
>> >seem a little high,
>>
>> But this is cheap compared to OziExplorer which costs $85.
>>
>> And you probably have not used all the power of GPSU yet. There is much more to it than first
>> appearances.
>>
>> John
>>

>> >"Jim Willsher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> >news:[email protected]...

>years
>scope,
>> >for

>> >wanted
>have
>I'm

>use
>> >allow
>then
>> >have
>Also
>> >I'd
>so
>> >that

> If you don't get along with Trackmaker you might like to try GARtrip. There is a free demo version
> of this that you can experiment with and if you like it you can buy the full version at very
> little cost. My needs are much the same as yours and I use GARtrip, mainly because I find it
> easier to calibrate scanned maps accurately with GARtrip than with Trackmaker.
>
> Regards, Nick.

Got to agree, I have found Gartrip to be easy to use and, importantly, in the field very accurate. I
registered mine and soon after had a computer crash. I had'nt saved my unlock code as advised, but
when I contacted Heinrich, the proprietor, he promptly sent me new codes instead of charging me as
threatened in the blurb. Having read some rants about larger proprietory programmes, i think I'll
stick with what works for as long as it fulfils my requirements.

Steve Jones

Nope, I'm not seen that. Just taken a quick look, it's OK but that's something that could definatly
be improved. I think I may end up writing a little util, that'll read in the GPSU file then print a
proper route card. Showing, waypoint, gridref, distance, bearing (grid and mag), alt, time estimate
and if there's room annotation too.

I wrote a program that would do that about 10 years back, same it was for an original PC, and was so
badly written that there's nothing worth salvaging.

Regards Col.