GPS Systems

Freewheeling wrote:

> ror:
>
> Then there's the battery problem. The bike computer battery is small, and will last a season....

Several years seems to be typical for a bike computer battery. I have not needed to replace the
batteries in any of the bike computers I have purchased in the last 4 years.

I use mine driving all the time, but I can't read the map well enough to use it so I'm usually
either programming routes before I leave home, or just punching in a waypoint. But it's extremely
helpful getting around a place like northern Virginia. The autoroute function in Mapsource can throw
you some curves though, if you're not careful.

--
--Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.

"m..leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:38%qa.647253$L1.185053@sccrnsc02...

> "Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I think the eTrex Legend sells for under $200. I have to be honest, I
> have
> > the Vista but rarely look at the Map. Generally I just program routes
and
> > waypoints using Mapsource, and then go by the course pointer. I can
count
> > on my fingers the number of times the map has actually come in handy.
> >
> > --
> > --Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.
>
> Since I do a lot of city riding I love the map, gives me alternative route options

> Beware the urge to buy gadgets.

Quit breathing? I AM a gadget person. I mean.. er.. an "early adopter".

> Will you use more than 10% of the features and capabilities of gps?

Depends on the user, of course, but I have used most of the functions of my Garmin 40. It is several
years old and eats batteries like crazy. Four AA at a time. In like 2-4 hours. A new $100 GPS is
prolly lots better these days.

I agree with you that in general with most gadgets most people don't use but the basic set.

> But buy the next bigger one because you will outgrow the entry unit within weeks.

Here our views diverge. I have been involved in hi-tech stuff for many years. The advice that has
evolved from my experience is to NOT buy more than you need.
1) because like you said earlier people do not generally use the capabilities of what they own, and
2) they don't even fully read the manual and
3) techy things change so fast that it makes no sense to 'buy ahead' in either features or price.
They get better cheaper and faster. If you buy ahead you are paying a premium for capacity and
features you may well never use. Buy the minimum and if you need to upgrade you lose less, plus
when you resell you get a 'less lower' percentage of the original cost back. Or just give it to
yer buddy for Christmas. This will tend to obligate him, and you may get something really useful
in return, like a nice tool set.
4) Shoot for the 'value curve' not the 'performance curve' to meet actual needs. If you want it cuz
you want it and cuz you are basically nerdy inside, then buy the latest, and smile as you pay
yer premium.

I tend to agree with you that other upgrades to the bicycle would be likely to enhance your riding
experience more, for the money than a GPS. Unless you have already done everything else. :)

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 18:44:27 GMT, "m..leuck" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Nathan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am looking at GPS systems. I noticed the new Lowrance has a MMC or SD option. Is that a pretty
>> good deal?
>>

>Not sure about under $300 but I have a Garmin III+ which works pretty well, seems to have a
>slightly bigger screen than any eTrek I've seen

Magellan has several GPS in the $150-300 range.

The one I'm considering is the Magellan Meridian Platinum. That model is available with rebate for
around $200 plus shipping from several internet discount retailers. It has a barmoeter/altimeter,
electronic compass, and takes standard 'SD' memory expansion cards (reportedly up to 512MB) for
storing downloaded way points, map sections and 'points of interest'. It's gotten decent reviews.

A GPS would seem to be most useful for long distance riding in unfamiliar areas. Running it only as
needed to sample position and establish heading would save on battery life. Otherwise, you'd need
new/recharged batteries every 10-14 hours of operation. For tours where the electric grid is
accessible nightly, a couple of sets of rechargables would probably be enough.

For 'local' rides, a GPS might be useful for plotting elevation profiles or logging training
progress. Consider a recorded GPS track correlated with a logging heart rate monitor for serious
training evaluation... (Some of the high-end HRM are more expensive than GPS).

GPS can and do fail, though, so they do not replace maps and basic navigation skills... Flaws in GPS
automatic routing database can lead to circular routing that might be considered 'amusing' in a car,
but would be a PITA for the bicyclist naive enough to follow them blindly.

Jon Meinecke

> Magellan has several GPS in the $150-300 range.
>
> The one I'm considering is the Magellan Meridian Platinum. That model is available with rebate for
> around $200 plus shipping from several internet discount retailers. It has a barmoeter/altimeter,
> electronic compass, and takes standard 'SD' memory expansion cards (reportedly up to 512MB) for
> storing downloaded way points, map sections and 'points of interest'. It's gotten decent reviews.
>
> A GPS would seem to be most useful for long distance riding in unfamiliar areas. Running it only
> as needed to sample position and establish heading would save on battery life. Otherwise, you'd
> need new/recharged batteries every 10-14 hours of operation. For tours where the electric grid is
> accessible nightly, a couple of sets of rechargables would probably be enough.
>
> For 'local' rides, a GPS might be useful for plotting elevation profiles or logging training
> progress. Consider a recorded GPS track correlated with a logging heart rate monitor for serious
> training evaluation... (Some of the high-end HRM are more expensive than GPS).
>
> GPS can and do fail, though, so they do not replace maps and basic navigation skills... Flaws in
> GPS automatic routing database can lead to circular routing that might be considered 'amusing' in
> a car, but would be a PITA for the bicyclist naive enough to follow them blindly.

I have the Magellan Meridian Platinum. I store Topo detail information in the 64MB SD card. There is
a limit of three areas of detail information that can be stored. There is also a limit on the size
of the area. One section that I have stored covers about 1/3 of Texas 64Mb SD is more than enough
for limits of the GPS.

The Meridian does not do routing but then the map base is not as accurate as the actual road so who
would want to be told your are off course if the road that you parallel is marked 100' away?

The Meridian is desiged for both on and off road navigation so the concept of roads is meaningless.

Battery life is actually about 10 hours and 8 if you use NiMh rechargables. I carry spare batteries
and a solar panal recharger for trips.

GPS elevation is +/- 50' so only relative profiles are obtainable.

Still I prefer this GPS over all the others that I have seen.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

"GeoB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Beware the urge to buy gadgets.
<snip..snip>
> I tend to agree with you that other upgrades to the bicycle would be
likely to enhance your riding experience more, for the money than a GPS. Unless you have already
done everything else. :)

Is that really, really possible????????????

Thanks much, good comments, Nathan Gifford

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:58:38 -0500, Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have the Magellan Meridian Platinum. I store Topo detail information in the 64MB SD card. There
>is a limit of three areas of detail information that can be stored. There is also a limit on the
>size of the area. One section that I have stored covers about 1/3 of Texas 64Mb SD is more than
>enough for limits of the GPS.

There's an article on using large storage cards with some Magellan GPS's. It sounds like a bit of a
kluge (renaming files), but it might be useful for an extended tour. You have to manually switch
between stored map sections.

http://gpsinformation.net/mgoldreview/magellanbasemap.htm

>Still I prefer this GPS over all the others that I have seen.

Did you get the bike mount? $25+ for a piece of plastic seems a bit outrageous. Did you
purchase locally?

The best offer I"ve seen is about $260 after rebates for the GPS *and* Topo (or Streets and
Destinations) map data program.

Jon Meinecke

> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:58:38 -0500, Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I have the Magellan Meridian Platinum. I store Topo detail information in the 64MB SD card. There
> >is a limit of three areas of detail information that can be stored. There is also a limit on the
> >size of the area. One section that I have stored covers about 1/3 of Texas 64Mb SD is more than
> >enough for limits of the GPS.
>
> There's an article on using large storage cards with some Magellan GPS's. It sounds like a bit of
> a kluge (renaming files), but it might be useful for an extended tour. You have to manually switch
> between stored map sections.
>
> http://gpsinformation.net/mgoldreview/magellanbasemap.htm

Good information, thanks.

> >Still I prefer this GPS over all the others that I have seen.
>
> Did you get the bike mount? $25+ for a piece of plastic seems a bit outrageous. Did you purchase
> locally?

I got the bike mount. However, H/B mounting interferes with the knees or worse, 'line of sight'. I
replaced the H/B hardware with a RAM mount
http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/2067.3.10465358441549568828/rapb149.html at $21.95

However, a better solution is a complete mount from GPS City at $26.95
http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/2067.5.10525873386949568828/rapb149ma2.html

I got the GPS online just over a year ago. I forget where, but prices are considerably less now.

I have to commend Thales for customer service. About six months ago, I managed to somehow short out
the GPS while changing batteries. I sent the unit back to Thales. They sent me a new unit, a car
mount, a carrying case and a car power adapter.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

>Then there's the battery problem. The bike computer battery is small, and will last a season. The
>GPS batteries are usually AAs and last a few hours. I've also had the GPS stop working if I go over
>a bump, because the battery loses contact for an instant. Have tried all kinds of things to keep
>that from happening, but nothing is really reliable.

On an Etrex, put some tape round your batteries (till the lid has no play whatsoever) or tape the
battery lid to the GPS case.

A GPS with map is esp. useful for getting you through large and unfamiliar cities. Wouldn't want to
be without one on holidays.

In article <[email protected]>, Mark van Gorkom <[email protected]> wrote:

> On an Etrex, put some tape round your batteries (till the lid has no play whatsoever) or tape the
> battery lid to the GPS case.
>
> A GPS with map is esp. useful for getting you through large and unfamiliar cities. Wouldn't want
> to be without one on holidays.

Any recommendations on a good unit to use with Macintosh computers, and in particular, which work
with OSX? Is that hoping for too much?

Aside from my bicycles, I'm looking for something to use on a motorcycle.

Thanks for any tips.

Paul Harris

Nathan,

After you have used the iFinder for a few months, please post a note on how you like it. I went with
the Magellan Meridian Platinum and love it. I seriously considered the iFinder because it comes with
the software (an extra cost for most other brands).

I use the GPS on my bike because Virginia has many rural roads that are not marked. With the GPS I
can set a route and be assured that I will not get lost.

By the way, I strongly recommend the RAM-mount system for mounting the GPS to any bike.

Stu Sanford Woodbridge, VA 2001 RANS Wave

"Nathan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Well its iFinder....Paid $149.00. + $30 for 64MB SD card.
>
> I do not know if its the best for the money, but it is a start.
>
> Tips are still welcomed (like mapping s/w).
>
> Thanks to all for the help, Nathan Gifford Tickfaw, LA USA

When I do multi-day tours it's generally a lot simpler to just use alkalines. You can get a pack of
10 at IKEA for $2.00. They last longer than rechargables too. About 6 hours, or so. As a general
rule I use one pair a day. It's also neat to save the track at the end of the day's ride, and then
look at the elevation tracks for the entire multi-day tour later. Just remember to start the track
log over the next morning. The only downside of the eTrex line is that you can't use memory cards.

--
--Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.

"Jon Meinecke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 18:44:27 GMT, "m..leuck" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >"Nathan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I am looking at GPS systems. I noticed the new Lowrance has a MMC or SD option. Is that a
> >> pretty good deal?
> >>

> >Not sure about under $300 but I have a Garmin III+ which works pretty
well,
> >seems to have a slightly bigger screen than any eTrek I've seen
> >

> Magellan has several GPS in the $150-300 range.
>
> The one I'm considering is the Magellan Meridian Platinum. That model is available with rebate for
> around $200 plus shipping from several internet discount retailers. It has a barmoeter/altimeter,
> electronic compass, and takes standard 'SD' memory expansion cards (reportedly up to 512MB) for
> storing downloaded way points, map sections and 'points of interest'. It's gotten decent reviews.
>
> A GPS would seem to be most useful for long distance riding in unfamiliar areas. Running it only
> as needed to sample position and establish heading would save on battery life. Otherwise, you'd
> need new/recharged batteries every 10-14 hours of operation. For tours where the electric grid is
> accessible nightly, a couple of sets of rechargables would probably be enough.
>
> For 'local' rides, a GPS might be useful for plotting elevation profiles or logging training
> progress. Consider a recorded GPS track correlated with a logging heart rate monitor for serious
> training evaluation... (Some of the high-end HRM are more expensive than GPS).
>
> GPS can and do fail, though, so they do not replace maps and basic navigation skills... Flaws in
> GPS automatic routing database can lead to circular routing that might be considered 'amusing' in
> a car, but would be a PITA for the bicyclist naive enough to follow them blindly.
>
> Jon Meinecke

Cletus:

Since you mentioned it, I thought I should say that I originally bought my eTrex Vista several
years ago from REI, and it "went haywire" about 6 months ago. They replaced it, no questions
asked. The lifetime return policy at REI is one of the best reasons to buy there. Well, that and
the 10% rebate.

--

"Cletus Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> > On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:58:38 -0500, Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > >I have the Magellan Meridian Platinum. I store Topo detail information
in the 64MB SD card.
> > >There is a limit of three areas of detail information that can be
stored. There is also a limit
> > >on the size of the area. One section that I have stored covers about
1/3 of Texas 64Mb SD is
> > >more than enough for limits of the GPS.
> >
> > There's an article on using large storage cards with some Magellan GPS's. It sounds like a bit
> > of a kluge (renaming files), but it might be useful for an extended tour. You have to manually
> > switch between stored map sections.
> >
> > http://gpsinformation.net/mgoldreview/magellanbasemap.htm
>
> Good information, thanks.
>
> > >Still I prefer this GPS over all the others that I have seen.
> >
> > Did you get the bike mount? $25+ for a piece of plastic seems a bit outrageous. Did you purchase
> > locally?
>
> I got the bike mount. However, H/B mounting interferes with the knees or
worse, 'line of
> sight'. I replaced the H/B hardware with a RAM mount
> http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/2067.3.10465358441549568828/rapb149.html
at $21.95

> However, a better solution is a complete mount from GPS City at $26.95

http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/2067.5.10525873386949568828/rapb149ma2.htm l

> I got the GPS online just over a year ago. I forget where, but prices are
considerably less
> now.
>
> I have to commend Thales for customer service. About six months ago, I
managed to somehow short
> out the GPS while changing batteries. I sent the unit back to Thales.
They sent me a new
> unit, a car mount, a carrying case and a car power adapter.

> - Bellaire, TX USA -

Hi Stu. Drop by sometime and we'll go for a ride. I haven't done anything but row row row
for months.

--

"Stu Sanford" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Nathan,
>
> After you have used the iFinder for a few months, please post a note on
how
> you like it. I went with the Magellan Meridian Platinum and love it. I seriously considered the
> iFinder because it comes with the software (an extra cost for most other brands).
>
> I use the GPS on my bike because Virginia has many rural roads that are
not
> marked. With the GPS I can set a route and be assured that I will not get lost.
>
> By the way, I strongly recommend the RAM-mount system for mounting the GPS to any bike.
>
> Stu Sanford Woodbridge, VA 2001 RANS Wave
>
> "Nathan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Well its iFinder....Paid $149.00. + $30 for 64MB SD card.
> >
> > I do not know if its the best for the money, but it is a start.
> >
> > Tips are still welcomed (like mapping s/w).
> >
> > Thanks to all for the help, Nathan Gifford Tickfaw, LA USA

Well the original reason for getting the iFinder fell through, so now it is a bike attachment.

Being real newbie with it, it is still impressive.

Battery life thus far is a little better than advertised with stock settings. There are
configurations settings that allow you to reduce the unit's duty cycle which will lower the
machine's power consumption. However, I haven't tested those yet. From my read, that may cause
problems with the GPS synchronizing itself with the satellites.

The memory is quite naturally awesome. The unit can accept up to 128 MBs of SD memory. Since I do
not have mapping s/w yet, I have not been able to test how easy this is to use. I suspect that the
SD memory cannot be directly used like a super map. I believe you would load the map in blocks and
flash them into GPS main memory. A drag mind you, but that's not a show stopper.

The trail feature is really slick. If you turn trail on you have 3 modes to choose from:

Auto - Records events as you change direction. This is the memory efficient mode. Time - Allow you
to set up the trail feature to learn the route based on time intervals. For example, I setup mine to
record position every 60 seconds. Mileage - You can program the GPS to accept events based on
position displacement. The minimum displacement vector is 0.01 miles.

The iFinder can store up to 99 tracks, with up to 9999 events. What I have not been able to do so
far is look at the individual events which would be real handy.

Still, the track function is really nice for exploring those roads for club rides. You can ride the
route and generate a map at the same time. I haven't tried uploading these tracks to a map
generation program to see if you can synchronize them. If you can then that's a real handy feature.

One of the problems with the iFinder has nothing to do with unit itself: it has an abysmally poor
manual. There are no command trees and the explanations of how the features work is spartan to say
the least.

The iFinder also comes with waterproof bag. Not bad, but I would rather a waterproof unit: that's
just one less thing to go wrong.

The iFinder comes in 4 different styles. The basic unit comes WITHOUT the programmer. Others are
optimized for various uses. The basic system sells anywhere from $149 to just under $200.

Just remember this is my evaluation as a first time GPS owner/user. I certainly invite corrections
to help expand my knowledge.

Nathan Gifford Tickfaw, LA

Scott, I'll give you a call soon.

Stu

"Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi Stu. Drop by sometime and we'll go for a ride. I haven't done
anything
> but row row row for months.
>
> --
> --Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.
>

> "Stu Sanford" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Nathan,
> >
> > After you have used the iFinder for a few months, please post a note on
> how
> > you like it. I went with the Magellan Meridian Platinum and love it. I seriously considered the
> > iFinder because it comes with the software (an extra cost for most other brands).
> >
> > I use the GPS on my bike because Virginia has many rural roads that are
> not
> > marked. With the GPS I can set a route and be assured that I will not
get
> > lost.
> >
> > By the way, I strongly recommend the RAM-mount system for mounting the
GPS
> > to any bike.
> >
> > Stu Sanford Woodbridge, VA 2001 RANS Wave
> >
> > "Nathan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > Well its iFinder....Paid $149.00. + $30 for 64MB SD card.
> > >
> > > I do not know if its the best for the money, but it is a start.
> > >
> > > Tips are still welcomed (like mapping s/w).
> > >
> > > Thanks to all for the help, Nathan Gifford Tickfaw, LA USA

Jon Meinecke <[email protected]> wrote:
: For 'local' rides, a GPS might be useful for plotting elevation profiles or logging training
: progress.

Or recording routes for your online buddies to use on their tours...

: serious training evaluation... (Some of the high-end HRM are more expensive than GPS).

The same goes for power meters I think.

They include a water tight bag for rainy weather or operation on the seas.

Nathan Gifford