GPS Tracklog Software

:)

I really enjoy my garmin 305 but I just want to create my own map and load it so I can get in 75 on the bike in an area I have not been to, not launch four rockets that deploy in a pace line and cover 700 nautical miles..... :) :D

bpatterson said:

I really enjoy my garmin 305 but I just want to create my own map and load it so I can get in 75 on the bike in an area I have not been to, not launch four rockets that deploy in a pace line and cover 700 nautical miles..... :) :D
Based on my limited experience with GPS files, all I can say is that inter-device compatibility is not assured even if both devices or programs use the same file format. For example, the universal file interchange format seems to be GPX, but I have found that not all GPX files are alike. My suggestion would be to try ExpertGPS as recommended by NomadVW. It has a 31-day free trial (even though their website doesn't say so) and their GPX file format seems to work with other programs. The background overlay maps of MotionBased are fantastic, but it's a bit quirky about which GPX files it can read. It seems to read the GPX files from ExpertGPS just fine and that was one of my primary requirements. I have not tested ExpertGPS by going the other way (from the application to a GPS computer), but you could test it with your Garmin before you buy the application.

bpatterson said:

I used the following website to easily create a route for my visit out of state. It was easy to create with Google maps as a background and as you create a route the side menu indicates the mileage. Once created it will create a course file that can be uploaded to your hard drive and then open with the Garmin Training Center where it can be uploaded to the 305. It worked great as I used it to navigate the course this past weekend. It was dead on for the turns at road intersections.

http://cc2.bradculberson.com/