gps units

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Barry Gaudet, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. Barry Gaudet

    Barry Gaudet Guest

    Anyone have any opinions on these. I dropped by the local Radio Crap store and was tempted to get
    one of these hand held gps units. They didn't have any models meant to be mounted on a bike though.

    --
    'Philosophy, is the talk on a cereal box Religion, is the smile on a dog. Philosophy, is a
    walk on the slippery rocks Religion, is a light in the fog' -Edie Brickell

    Tags:

  2. Gary

    Gary Guest

    I think Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op have something called the: Naviion Pro.

    It looked very good, interacts with your PC, creates maps etc.

    £300 it costs - go take a peek.

    http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk or http://www.naviion.com/us/

    Thanks,

    Gary.

    "Barry Gaudet" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone have any opinions on these. I dropped by the local Radio Crap store and was tempted to
    > get one of these hand held gps units. They didn't have any models meant to be mounted on a
    > bike though.
    >

    > --
    > 'Philosophy, is the talk on a cereal box Religion, is the smile on a dog. Philosophy, is a walk on
    > the slippery rocks Religion, is a light in the fog' -Edie Brickell

  3. Gary

    Gary Guest

    The Naviion is actually available for £234.55, free shipping etc from the US web site,
    http://www.naviion.com/us/ . This is designed specifically for a bike so it should suit your
    requirements. I think it has all the other standard cycle computer functions too.

    Ta,

    Gary.

    "Barry Gaudet" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone have any opinions on these. I dropped by the local Radio Crap store and was tempted to
    > get one of these hand held gps units. They didn't have any models meant to be mounted on a
    > bike though.
    >

    > --
    > 'Philosophy, is the talk on a cereal box Religion, is the smile on a dog. Philosophy, is a walk on
    > the slippery rocks Religion, is a light in the fog' -Edie Brickell

  4. Gary

    Gary Guest

    OK - the Naviion does not have GPS. It uses P2P memory.

    Daft thing.

    Gary.

    "Barry Gaudet" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone have any opinions on these. I dropped by the local Radio Crap store and was tempted to
    > get one of these hand held gps units. They didn't have any models meant to be mounted on a
    > bike though.
    >

    > --
    > 'Philosophy, is the talk on a cereal box Religion, is the smile on a dog. Philosophy, is a walk on
    > the slippery rocks Religion, is a light in the fog' -Edie Brickell

  5. Gary

    Gary Guest

    OK - next:

    See this: http://www.electronicsplaza101.com/electronics/shop21979/pdB00004VX15/Accessories_Supplie-
    s/GPS_System_Accessories/

    Then see this: http://www.garmin.co.uk/products/etrex/

    Im off :)

    Gary.

    "Barry Gaudet" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone have any opinions on these. I dropped by the local Radio Crap store and was tempted to
    > get one of these hand held gps units. They didn't have any models meant to be mounted on a
    > bike though.
    >

    > --
    > 'Philosophy, is the talk on a cereal box Religion, is the smile on a dog. Philosophy, is a walk on
    > the slippery rocks Religion, is a light in the fog' -Edie Brickell

  6. Gabike

    Gabike Guest

    > Anyone have any opinions on these. I dropped by the local Radio Crap store and was tempted to
    > get one of these hand held gps units. They didn't have any models meant to be mounted on a
    > bike though.
    >

    >--
    > 'Philosophy, is the talk on a cereal box Religion, is the smile on a dog. Philosophy, is a
    > walk on the slippery rocks Religion, is a light in the fog' -Edie Brickell

    Garmin Legend, they sell a bike adapor to go with it.

  7. Barry Gaudet <[email protected]> writes:

    > Anyone have any opinions on these. I dropped by the local Radio Crap store and was tempted to
    > get one of these hand held gps units. They didn't have any models meant to be mounted on a
    > bike though.

    The Garmin eTrex series have special bike mounts available as accessories, an exchangeable back with
    the usual kind of sprung plastic prong which fits into a handlebar clip.

    The same is probably true of many of the other smaller and lighter units designed for hand-held
    (rather than vehicle) use.

    You can also get general purpose bike mounts which fit any GPS by clamping round it.

    Cyclists tend to be specially concerned with accurate altitude logs. Some GPS units come with
    barometric altimeters built in, which can provide a more accurate altitude log than GPS, and also
    provide an altitude log in conditions when the GPS isn't working, such as sometimes happens in urban
    canyons or under dense tree cover.

    --
    Chris Malcolm [email protected] +44 (0)131 650 3085 School of Artificial Intelligence, Division of
    Informatics Edinburgh University, 5 Forrest Hill, Edinburgh, EH1 2QL, UK

  8. Barry Gaudet

    Barry Gaudet Guest

    Thanx. Garmin seems to be the unit to get. I'll have to think about it for my frivolous purchase
    of the year.

    --
    'Philosophy, is the talk on a cereal box Religion, is the smile on a dog. Philosophy, is a
    walk on the slippery rocks Religion, is a light in the fog' -Edie Brickell

  9. helen

    helen Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Barry Gaudet <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Anyone have any opinions on these. I dropped by the local Radio Crap store and was tempted to get
    > one of these hand held gps units. They didn't have any models meant to be mounted on a bike
    > though.

    Barry,

    Universaly (at least in audio and electronics) it's called Rat Shack. If you call it Radio Crap
    it'll be confused with what's programed on 7 out of 8 commercial radio stations and 4 out 8 public
    and college stations.

    Oh for the day when they actually were sort of a electronics shop instead of a shill for cellular
    service and satelite cable service. Now you're lucky if even the manager knows which end of the
    soldering iron to hold.

    Hellen

  10. Arous

    Arous Guest

    Hi Barry,

    I have a Garmin "eMap" and they have a handle bar attachment available...Works great!

    Cordially,

    Arous