GPS Watches

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Rw, Apr 21, 2003.

  1. Rw

    Rw Guest

    Anyone use Timex or Casio GPS watches to train or have any recommendations.

    Tags:

  2. Chris Maginn

    Chris Maginn Guest

    My wife gave me a Timex GPS last year for my b-day. It has been useful in determining distances on
    all of my regular runs. I train 95% of the time with a HRM. But it's great to know distances so you
    can see how you're progressing. I personally wouldn't train using the GPS via attempting to maintain
    a certain pace...you find all you do is stare at the damn display trying to maintain a certain
    average speed.

    It's great for long trail runs. Every new run I try I take it to get distances. However....it's
    really a toy. Dont get it if there's something really useful out there you'll postpone buying
    because of this purchase.

    "RW" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<%[email protected]>...
    > Anyone use Timex or Casio GPS watches to train or have any recommendations.

  3. Jkmsg

    Jkmsg Guest

    "RW" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<%[email protected]>...
    > Anyone use Timex or Casio GPS watches to train or have any recommendations.

    Been using the Timex S+D for about 8 months... works very well... extremely accurate... once it's
    BodyLink system is added later this summer, I think it will be the best wireless HRM, Speed and
    Distance device on the market.

    Nice thing about the BodyLink system is that they don't make the current Timex S+D obsolete.
    Overall, the Timex S+D(IMHO) is the universally useful speed and distance device.

    Only biggest complaint is that it doesn't have a low battery warning.

    FWIW Joe Moya

  4. Chris Maginn <[email protected]> wrote:
    >It's great for long trail runs. Every new run I try I take it to get distances. However....it's
    >really a toy. Dont get it if there's something really useful out there you'll postpone buying
    >because of this purchase.

    It's a great gift to receive. A bit harder to buy for yourself. It's too bad the watch can't be
    flashed with new sw - I can think of a bunch of functions to add like a 5k/10k mode where it
    estimates your finish time based on speed and distance remaining.

    Have you taken it to a track to try to check precision? The one 5k I did with it on measured out
    at 2.97mi.
    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com