GPS woes

Hello all - I'd really appreciate any help people can give me with
this.

I have GPS device (GlobalSat BT-338) that I bought so I can track where
I walk, and where I take pictures while I walk. Now I need something to
store the logs of where I've walked.

I have two potential devices - my Pocket PC (iPaq 4150 Windows Mobile
2003) and my Nokia 6630 (Series 60).

I really just want a program that logs where I've been - I don't mind
what format - GPX is useful for me, but I can convert from NMEA
sentences. I have tried various solutions:

GETrack: http://www.mobile-j.de/snipsnap/space/Products/GETrack

This seems to crash intermittently (as with everything else on my
series 60 to a greater or lesser extent)

PowerNavigator:
http://www.symbianware.com/product.php?id=powernavigation60&pl=n6630

As above - very nice (although no longer being developed), but crashes
losing my entire trail - this is less than ideal!

I guess in some senses my Pocket PC would be a better bet - it has the
advantage of bigger storage and it seems to be more reliable. The
trouble is I don't want to hold my iPaq in my hand all the time - I
just want to put it in a pocket and let it log - my phone has a lock
keypad function, but no such luck with the iPaq, so I need a program
that can similarly "lock" the device to prevent accidental cessation of
logging. Ideally this program would also be free, but I'll be grateful
for anything here!

Many, many thanks

Tom

[email protected] wrote:
> Hello all - I'd really appreciate any help people can give me with
> this.
>
> I have GPS device (GlobalSat BT-338) that I bought so I can track where
> I walk, and where I take pictures while I walk. Now I need something to
> store the logs of where I've walked.
>
> I have two potential devices - my Pocket PC (iPaq 4150 Windows Mobile
> 2003) and my Nokia 6630 (Series 60).
>
> I really just want a program that logs where I've been - I don't mind
> what format - GPX is useful for me, but I can convert from NMEA
> sentences. I have tried various solutions:
>
> GETrack: http://www.mobile-j.de/snipsnap/space/Products/GETrack
>
> This seems to crash intermittently (as with everything else on my
> series 60 to a greater or lesser extent)
>
> PowerNavigator:
> http://www.symbianware.com/product.php?id=powernavigation60&pl=n6630
>
> As above - very nice (although no longer being developed), but crashes
> losing my entire trail - this is less than ideal!
>
> I guess in some senses my Pocket PC would be a better bet - it has the
> advantage of bigger storage and it seems to be more reliable. The
> trouble is I don't want to hold my iPaq in my hand all the time - I
> just want to put it in a pocket and let it log - my phone has a lock
> keypad function, but no such luck with the iPaq, so I need a program
> that can similarly "lock" the device to prevent accidental cessation of
> logging. Ideally this program would also be free, but I'll be grateful
> for anything here!
>
> Many, many thanks
>
> Tom

You might not find a solution to this problem. This type of GPS
can use a very weak signal, great in cities and built up areas,
but this means it can be prone to inaccurate readings when
travelling slowly, not such a great problem in a car where
software can 'snap' onto a road so you don't notice but at
walking speed you can get some strange fluctuations in speed and
position.

I have a Garmin GPSIII+ that stores track logs that can then be
downloaded into Memory Map, or I suspect, any decent mapping
software that I use solely for walking.

I also have a GPS that connects to my iPaq for use in the car, I
have TomTom Navigator on the iPaq. To be honest the iPaq/GPS
combination is absolute **** out of the car, for a start battery
life on my iPaq, a 3850, isn't great and all the software I've
seen or tried is geared firmly at the car and route planning
rather than logging accurate positions on a walk. Not a problem
for me because that's the very reason I bought it.

I hope someone else can offer a solution, I'll be watching this
thread with interest.

There are a number of programs to lock your iPaq screen and
buttons. Try Deltalock;

http://www.deltadevelopment.de/users/christoph/deltaLock/

There are others, some good, some bad.

--
Regards

Nick

If you want to do it on line using GPX files try:-

http://gpssharing.com/

Ted