GPS woes

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by [email protected], Apr 14, 2006.

  1. Hello all - I'd really appreciate any help people can give me with
    this.

    I have GPS device (GlobalSat BT-338) that I bought so I can track where
    I walk, and where I take pictures while I walk. Now I need something to
    store the logs of where I've walked.

    I have two potential devices - my Pocket PC (iPaq 4150 Windows Mobile
    2003) and my Nokia 6630 (Series 60).

    I really just want a program that logs where I've been - I don't mind
    what format - GPX is useful for me, but I can convert from NMEA
    sentences. I have tried various solutions:

    GETrack: http://www.mobile-j.de/snipsnap/space/Products/GETrack

    This seems to crash intermittently (as with everything else on my
    series 60 to a greater or lesser extent)

    PowerNavigator:
    http://www.symbianware.com/product.php?id=powernavigation60&pl=n6630

    As above - very nice (although no longer being developed), but crashes
    losing my entire trail - this is less than ideal!

    I guess in some senses my Pocket PC would be a better bet - it has the
    advantage of bigger storage and it seems to be more reliable. The
    trouble is I don't want to hold my iPaq in my hand all the time - I
    just want to put it in a pocket and let it log - my phone has a lock
    keypad function, but no such luck with the iPaq, so I need a program
    that can similarly "lock" the device to prevent accidental cessation of
    logging. Ideally this program would also be free, but I'll be grateful
    for anything here!

    Many, many thanks

    Tom

    Tags:

  2. Nick Mason

    Nick Mason Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Hello all - I'd really appreciate any help people can give me with
    > this.
    >
    > I have GPS device (GlobalSat BT-338) that I bought so I can track where
    > I walk, and where I take pictures while I walk. Now I need something to
    > store the logs of where I've walked.
    >
    > I have two potential devices - my Pocket PC (iPaq 4150 Windows Mobile
    > 2003) and my Nokia 6630 (Series 60).
    >
    > I really just want a program that logs where I've been - I don't mind
    > what format - GPX is useful for me, but I can convert from NMEA
    > sentences. I have tried various solutions:
    >
    > GETrack: http://www.mobile-j.de/snipsnap/space/Products/GETrack
    >
    > This seems to crash intermittently (as with everything else on my
    > series 60 to a greater or lesser extent)
    >
    > PowerNavigator:
    > http://www.symbianware.com/product.php?id=powernavigation60&pl=n6630
    >
    > As above - very nice (although no longer being developed), but crashes
    > losing my entire trail - this is less than ideal!
    >
    > I guess in some senses my Pocket PC would be a better bet - it has the
    > advantage of bigger storage and it seems to be more reliable. The
    > trouble is I don't want to hold my iPaq in my hand all the time - I
    > just want to put it in a pocket and let it log - my phone has a lock
    > keypad function, but no such luck with the iPaq, so I need a program
    > that can similarly "lock" the device to prevent accidental cessation of
    > logging. Ideally this program would also be free, but I'll be grateful
    > for anything here!
    >
    > Many, many thanks
    >
    > Tom

    You might not find a solution to this problem. This type of GPS
    can use a very weak signal, great in cities and built up areas,
    but this means it can be prone to inaccurate readings when
    travelling slowly, not such a great problem in a car where
    software can 'snap' onto a road so you don't notice but at
    walking speed you can get some strange fluctuations in speed and
    position.

    I have a Garmin GPSIII+ that stores track logs that can then be
    downloaded into Memory Map, or I suspect, any decent mapping
    software that I use solely for walking.

    I also have a GPS that connects to my iPaq for use in the car, I
    have TomTom Navigator on the iPaq. To be honest the iPaq/GPS
    combination is absolute crap out of the car, for a start battery
    life on my iPaq, a 3850, isn't great and all the software I've
    seen or tried is geared firmly at the car and route planning
    rather than logging accurate positions on a walk. Not a problem
    for me because that's the very reason I bought it.

    I hope someone else can offer a solution, I'll be watching this
    thread with interest.

    There are a number of programs to lock your iPaq screen and
    buttons. Try Deltalock;

    http://www.deltadevelopment.de/users/christoph/deltaLock/

    There are others, some good, some bad.

    --
    Regards

    Nick

  3. If you want to do it on line using GPX files try:-

    http://gpssharing.com/

    Ted