gps

On 28/2/04 4:30 pm, in article
[email protected], "therebel"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> is gps any good or what?

It depends really on what kind of walking you are doing. Long mountain hikes, open moorland, etc.,
would all benefit from a gps.

That being said I don't own one myself ....

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 19:04:56 GMT, Mike Mason wrote:

>news:[email protected]...
>> In article <[email protected]>, Rifleman <[email protected]> writes
>> >"therebel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Sl30c.832$x37.333@newsfe3-
>> >win.server.ntli.net...
>> >>

>> >Compared to what?

>> GLONASS?

>eh???????????????????????????????????????

Or Galileo.

GLONASS is the Ruski version of GPS. http://samadhi.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/QuickLooks/glonassQL.html

Galileo will be the EC version if it gets off the ground.

>is gps any good or what?

I've used a GPS System while at sea and my son uses one in his van and both are extremely useful.
I've never used one for fellwaking and it's doubtfull if I will start to now. The only comment I
would make is please make sure you have full mapreading and compass using skills in place as well.
If the GPS is going to let you down you can bet it will be in an unfamilar place with low cloud
cover.........1st principle of Sods law.

Dave All Wainwrights completed 74 Walks......763 miles......approx 200,000' of ascent to complete.
At Heysham looking across Morecambe Bay to the Cumbrian Fells

Ta, now I understand

Mike

"Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 19:04:56 GMT, Mike Mason wrote:
>

> >news:[email protected]...
> >> In article <[email protected]>, Rifleman <[email protected]> writes

> >> GLONASS?
>
> >eh???????????????????????????????????????
>
> Or Galileo.
>
> GLONASS is the Ruski version of GPS. http://samadhi.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/QuickLooks/glonassQL.html
>
> Galileo will be the EC version if it gets off the ground.
> --
> Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

Paul Saunders <[email protected]> wrote
>therebel wrote:
>
>> is gps any good or what?
>
>Absolutely brilliant! Your life is not complete without one.

I collect 'em. :)
--
Gordon

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:44:08 +0000, Dave Brown wrote:

>>is gps any good or what?
>>

> I've used a GPS System while at sea and my son uses one in his van and both are extremely useful.
> I've never used one for fellwaking and it's doubtfull if I will start to now. The only comment I
> would make is please make sure you have full mapreading and compass using skills in place as well.
> If the GPS is going to let you down you can bet it will be in an unfamilar place with low cloud
> cover.........1st principle of Sods law.

I'd say you need to use a map along side a GPS, the GPS will tell you where you are, and the map
will tell you what the terrain is like.

--
Brian

On 29/2/04 9:09 am, in article [email protected],
"Brian" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'd say you need to use a map along side a GPS, the GPS will tell you where you are, and the map
> will tell you what the terrain is like.

Although I don't (yet) own a gps I have been in a number of situations where it is striked me that
it would be rather useful to know where I was!

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 09:09:21 +0000, Brian wrote:

>On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:44:08 +0000, Dave Brown wrote:
>

>>>is gps any good or what?
>>>

>> I've used a GPS System while at sea and my son uses one in his van and both are extremely useful.
>> I've never used one for fellwaking and it's doubtfull if I will start to now. The only comment I
>> would make is please make sure you have full mapreading and compass using skills in place as
>> well. If the GPS is going to let you down you can bet it will be in an unfamilar place with low
>> cloud cover.........1st principle of Sods law.
>
>I'd say you need to use a map along side a GPS, the GPS will tell you where you are, and the map
>will tell you what the terrain is like.

I somehow *knew* this thread would get around to GPS / compass / map.
:-(

Andy Howell <[email protected]> wrote
>On 28/2/04 9:48 pm, in article [email protected], "Gordon"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Paul Saunders <[email protected]> wrote

>>> Absolutely brilliant! Your life is not complete without one.
>>>
>> I collect 'em. :)
>
>Hope you keep the original box :)

I left the Vista box in California at my daughter's place, no room in the case because of all the
electronic toys, pairs of Levis etc. :)
--
Gordon

Andy Howell <[email protected]> wrote
>On 29/2/04 9:09 am, in article [email protected], "Brian"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I'd say you need to use a map along side a GPS, the GPS will tell you where you are, and the map
>> will tell you what the terrain is like.
>
>Although I don't (yet) own a gps I have been in a number of situations where it is striked me that
>it would be rather useful to know where I was!

When you're THAT ****** a GPS won't help you.
:)0
--
Gordon

Phil Cook <[email protected]> wrote

>>> I've used a GPS System while at sea and my son uses one in his van and both
>are
>>> extremely useful. I've never used one for fellwaking and it's doubtfull if I will start to now.
>>> The only comment I would make is please make sure you have full mapreading
>and
>>> compass using skills in place as well. If the GPS is going to let you down you can bet it will
>>> be in an unfamilar place with low cloud cover.........1st principle of Sods law.
>>
>>I'd say you need to use a map along side a GPS, the GPS will tell you where you are, and the map
>>will tell you what the terrain is like.
>
>I somehow *knew* this thread would get around to GPS / compass / map.
>:-(

:)
SHHH!" Nobody mentioned cameras yet.......
--
Gordon

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 18:42:48 +0000, Gordon wrote:

>>I somehow *knew* this thread would get around to GPS / compass / map.
>>:-(
>
>:)
>SHHH!" Nobody mentioned cameras yet.......

Doh! My brain somehow thought I was posting in pign9's thread about walking poles.
--
Phil Cook