gps

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Therebel, Feb 28, 2004.

  1. Therebel

    Therebel Guest

    is gps any good or what?

    Tags:

  2. Rifleman

    Rifleman Guest

  3. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

  4. Mike Mason

    Mike Mason Guest

  5. Andy Howell

    Andy Howell Guest

    On 28/2/04 4:30 pm, in article
    [email protected], "therebel"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > is gps any good or what?

    It depends really on what kind of walking you are doing. Long mountain hikes, open moorland, etc.,
    would all benefit from a gps.

    That being said I don't own one myself ....

  6. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 19:04:56 GMT, Mike Mason wrote:

    >news:[email protected]...
    >> In article <[email protected]>, Rifleman <[email protected]> writes
    >> >"therebel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >> >win.server.ntli.net...
    >> >>

    >> >Compared to what?

    >> GLONASS?

    >eh???????????????????????????????????????

    Or Galileo.

    GLONASS is the Ruski version of GPS. http://samadhi.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/QuickLooks/glonassQL.html

    Galileo will be the EC version if it gets off the ground.

  7. Dave Brown

    Dave Brown Guest

    >is gps any good or what?

    I've used a GPS System while at sea and my son uses one in his van and both are extremely useful.
    I've never used one for fellwaking and it's doubtfull if I will start to now. The only comment I
    would make is please make sure you have full mapreading and compass using skills in place as well.
    If the GPS is going to let you down you can bet it will be in an unfamilar place with low cloud
    cover.........1st principle of Sods law.

    Dave All Wainwrights completed 74 Walks......763 miles......approx 200,000' of ascent to complete.
    At Heysham looking across Morecambe Bay to the Cumbrian Fells

  8. Mike Mason

    Mike Mason Guest

    Ta, now I understand

    Mike

    "Phil Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 19:04:56 GMT, Mike Mason wrote:
    >

    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> In article <[email protected]>, Rifleman <[email protected]> writes

    > >> GLONASS?
    >
    > >eh???????????????????????????????????????
    >
    > Or Galileo.
    >
    > GLONASS is the Ruski version of GPS. http://samadhi.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/QuickLooks/glonassQL.html
    >
    > Galileo will be the EC version if it gets off the ground.
    > --
    > Phil Cook looking north over the park to the "Westminster Gasworks"

  9. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Paul Saunders <[email protected]> wrote
    >therebel wrote:
    >
    >> is gps any good or what?
    >
    >Absolutely brilliant! Your life is not complete without one.

    I collect 'em. :)
    --
    Gordon

  10. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Paul Saunders" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> is gps any good or what?
    >
    >Absolutely brilliant! Your life is not complete without one.

    or two!

  11. Brian

    Brian Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:44:08 +0000, Dave Brown wrote:

    >>is gps any good or what?
    >>

    > I've used a GPS System while at sea and my son uses one in his van and both are extremely useful.
    > I've never used one for fellwaking and it's doubtfull if I will start to now. The only comment I
    > would make is please make sure you have full mapreading and compass using skills in place as well.
    > If the GPS is going to let you down you can bet it will be in an unfamilar place with low cloud
    > cover.........1st principle of Sods law.

    I'd say you need to use a map along side a GPS, the GPS will tell you where you are, and the map
    will tell you what the terrain is like.

    --
    Brian

  12. Andy Howell

    Andy Howell Guest

    On 28/2/04 9:48 pm, in article [email protected], "Gordon"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Paul Saunders <[email protected]dwales.fsnet.co.uk> wrote
    >> therebel wrote:
    >>
    >>> is gps any good or what?
    >>
    >> Absolutely brilliant! Your life is not complete without one.
    >>
    > I collect 'em. :)

    Hope you keep the original box :)

  13. Andy Howell

    Andy Howell Guest

    On 29/2/04 9:09 am, in article [email protected],
    "Brian" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'd say you need to use a map along side a GPS, the GPS will tell you where you are, and the map
    > will tell you what the terrain is like.

    Although I don't (yet) own a gps I have been in a number of situations where it is striked me that
    it would be rather useful to know where I was!

  14. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 09:09:21 +0000, Brian wrote:

    >On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:44:08 +0000, Dave Brown wrote:
    >

    >>>is gps any good or what?
    >>>

    >> I've used a GPS System while at sea and my son uses one in his van and both are extremely useful.
    >> I've never used one for fellwaking and it's doubtfull if I will start to now. The only comment I
    >> would make is please make sure you have full mapreading and compass using skills in place as
    >> well. If the GPS is going to let you down you can bet it will be in an unfamilar place with low
    >> cloud cover.........1st principle of Sods law.
    >
    >I'd say you need to use a map along side a GPS, the GPS will tell you where you are, and the map
    >will tell you what the terrain is like.

    I somehow *knew* this thread would get around to GPS / compass / map.
    :-(

  15. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Andy Howell <[email protected]> wrote
    >On 28/2/04 9:48 pm, in article [email protected], "Gordon"
    ><Gor[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Paul Saunders <[email protected]> wrote

    >>> Absolutely brilliant! Your life is not complete without one.
    >>>
    >> I collect 'em. :)
    >
    >Hope you keep the original box :)

    I left the Vista box in California at my daughter's place, no room in the case because of all the
    electronic toys, pairs of Levis etc. :)
    --
    Gordon

  16. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Andy Howell <[email protected]> wrote
    >On 29/2/04 9:09 am, in article [email protected], "Brian"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I'd say you need to use a map along side a GPS, the GPS will tell you where you are, and the map
    >> will tell you what the terrain is like.
    >
    >Although I don't (yet) own a gps I have been in a number of situations where it is striked me that
    >it would be rather useful to know where I was!

    When you're THAT pissed a GPS won't help you.
    :)0
    --
    Gordon

  17. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Phil Cook <[email protected]> wrote

    >>> I've used a GPS System while at sea and my son uses one in his van and both
    >are
    >>> extremely useful. I've never used one for fellwaking and it's doubtfull if I will start to now.
    >>> The only comment I would make is please make sure you have full mapreading
    >and
    >>> compass using skills in place as well. If the GPS is going to let you down you can bet it will
    >>> be in an unfamilar place with low cloud cover.........1st principle of Sods law.
    >>
    >>I'd say you need to use a map along side a GPS, the GPS will tell you where you are, and the map
    >>will tell you what the terrain is like.
    >
    >I somehow *knew* this thread would get around to GPS / compass / map.
    >:-(

    :)
    SHHH!" Nobody mentioned cameras yet.......
    --
    Gordon

  18. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 18:42:48 +0000, Gordon wrote:

    >>I somehow *knew* this thread would get around to GPS / compass / map.
    >>:-(
    >
    >:)
    >SHHH!" Nobody mentioned cameras yet.......

    Doh! My brain somehow thought I was posting in pign9's thread about walking poles.
    --
    Phil Cook

  19. Andy Howell

    Andy Howell Guest

    On 29/2/04 6:41 pm, in article [email protected], "Gordon"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > When you're THAT pissed a GPS won't help you.
    > :)0

    I don't need to be pissed to get lost :)