GPS12 Software

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Hugh Spicer, Mar 8, 2004.

  1. Hugh Spicer

    Hugh Spicer Guest

    Anyone out there still using a Garmin GPS 12 ? What software
    are you using ? Ta much in advance....

    --
    Hugh
    _________________________

    Tags:

  2. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Hugh Spicer
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Anyone out there still using a Garmin GPS 12 ?

    I certainly am as are a few others here.

    > What software are you using ?

    On the unit Ver 4.58

    On the PC the following programs have many useful features:

    GPS Utility http://www.gpsu.co.uk/ Oziexplorer
    http://www.oziexplorer.com/ GarTrip http://www.gartrip.de/
    Trailgauge http://www.trailgauge.co.uk/

    All have trial / demo versions you can play with to see
    which best fits your needs.

    --

    http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/

  3. W. D. Grey

    W. D. Grey Guest

  4. Yup

    Yup Guest

    I love my 12XL.......... Take it out with my Ipaq 2210
    sometimes and Pocket Memory Maps

    Lovely............

    Ade

    news:[email protected]...
    ?
    > Ta much in advance....
    >
    > --
    > Hugh
    > _________________________
    > [email protected] www.hughspicer.fsnet.co.uk
    > _________________________
    > phone - 0141 422 1630 moby - 07788 178 439 work tel - 0141
    > 800 3606
    > ________________________

  5. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Jim
    Willsher <[email protected]> writes
    >Going slightly OT now, but....
    >
    >I have a GPS12, 4.58. So does my dad, so does my friend.
    >This weekend I lent all three to a colleague who is
    >planning an activity weekend. One of the units has a
    >problem. When you switch it on it works fine. But as
    >soon as you switch it off it loses it's position - the
    >time is back to 00:00:00 and it has to "find itself"
    >again. This unit is already a replacement unit supplied
    >by Garmin - the predecessor showed "upload not present"
    >and refused to work.

    It sounds like it has lost its memory battery. Usually you
    would get a "memory battery low" message as it is on its
    way out but you don't mention that so perhaps it has
    completely failed.

    The battery is rechargeable - if you leave it switched off
    and loaded with a fresh set of alkalines for a few days it
    may recover. If not contact Garmin as they have replaced
    many memory batteries free of charge even out of warranty.

    >Anyone else have any reliability problems wit the GPS 12?
    >Both the other units mentions have a habit of switching
    >themselves off and on periodically.

    Might be caused by a bit of extra room in the battery
    compartment - several people reported that with the 12 and
    other models with the same case. The older models were a bit
    snug in the battery tubes and you could actually get some
    batteries stuck in the tubes so Garmin made them a bit
    looser in later models. Different makes and types of
    batteries are slightly different sizes - rechargeables tend
    to be a bit fatter. If all else fails tape each pair of
    batteries together with a little insulating tape before
    inserting them. That should reduce the chance of them
    loosing contact when jarred.

    --

    http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/

  6. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Jim Willsher <[email protected]> wrote
    >Going slightly OT now, but....
    >
    >I have a GPS12, 4.58. So does my dad, so does my friend.
    >This weekend I lent all three to a colleague who is
    >planning an activity weekend. One of the units has a
    >problem. When you switch it on it works fine. But as
    >soon as you switch it off it loses it's position - the
    >time is back to 00:00:00 and it has to "find itself"
    >again. This unit is already a replacement unit supplied
    >by Garmin - the predecessor showed "upload not present"
    >and refused to work.
    >
    >Anyone else have any reliability problems wit the GPS 12?

    Only when I dropped it on a rock and the display
    disappeared!

    Even then, I was able to download the track, which it
    continued to record. :)

    > Both the other units mentions have a habit of switching
    > themselves off and on periodically.

    My Etrex Summit did that, and occasionally the GPS12, but it
    was down to battery terminal connections momentarily
    breaking when the unit had received a shock - sometimes
    quite a minor one.
    --
    Gordon

  7. Paul Rose

    Paul Rose Guest

    "Hugh Spicer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone out there still using a Garmin GPS 12 ? What
    > software are you
    using ?
    > Ta much in advance....
    >
    > --
    > Hugh

    Yes, with v.4.60 updated from their website.

    Regards, Paul

    Paul Rose Middlesbrough, England, U.K.

  8. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 20:53:13 +0000, W. D. Grey wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, Hugh Spicer
    ><[email protected]> writes
    >>Anyone out there still using a Garmin GPS 12 ? What
    >>software are you using ? Ta much in advance....

    >4.58

    There were some units shipped with v 4.59 which was never
    available on the Garmin site. The most recent is v 4.60 but
    all that was updated were the French menus.
    --
    Phil Cook looking north over the park to the
    "Westminster Gasworks"

  9. Chris

    Chris Guest

  10. Jim Willsher

    Jim Willsher Guest

    Going slightly OT now, but....

    I have a GPS12, 4.58. So does my dad, so does my friend.
    This weekend I lent all three to a colleague who is planning
    an activity weekend. One of the units has a problem. When
    you switch it on it works fine. But as soon as you switch it
    off it loses it's position - the time is back to 00:00:00
    and it has to "find itself" again. This unit is already a
    replacement unit supplied by Garmin - the predecessor showed
    "upload not present" and refused to work.

    Anyone else have any reliability problems wit the GPS 12?
    Both the other units mentions have a habit of switching
    themselves off and on periodically.

    Jim

    PS Anyone seen the forthcoming model?:

    http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap76c/

    Looks cool! (and pricey). No mention of a UK version
    though....

    On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 00:12:36 +0000, Phil Cook <[email protected]
    cook.RfErMeOeVsEeCrAvPeS.co.uk> wrote:

    >On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 20:53:13 +0000, W. D. Grey wrote:
    >
    >>In article <[email protected]>, Hugh
    >>Spicer <[email protected]> writes
    >>>Anyone out there still using a Garmin GPS 12 ? What
    >>>software are you using ? Ta much in advance....
    >
    >>4.58
    >
    >There were some units shipped with v 4.59 which was never
    >available on the Garmin site. The most recent is v 4.60 but
    >all that was updated were the French menus.

    Jim Willsher

    Homepages at http://www.jimwillsher.co.uk

  11. Jim Willsher

    Jim Willsher Guest

    Many thanks. I'll contact Garmin re: battery, as otherwise
    it's a great little unit.

    Jim

    <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    >Jim Willsher <[email protected]> writes
    >>Going slightly OT now, but....
    >>
    >>I have a GPS12, 4.58. So does my dad, so does my friend.
    >>This weekend I lent all three to a colleague who is
    >>planning an activity weekend. One of the units has a
    >>problem. When you switch it on it works fine. But as soon
    >>as you switch it off it loses it's position - the time is
    >>back to 00:00:00 and it has to "find itself" again. This
    >>unit is already a replacement unit supplied by Garmin -
    >>the predecessor showed "upload not present" and refused
    >>to work.
    >
    >It sounds like it has lost its memory battery. Usually you
    >would get a "memory battery low" message as it is on its
    >way out but you don't mention that so perhaps it has
    >completely failed.
    >
    >The battery is rechargeable - if you leave it switched off
    >and loaded with a fresh set of alkalines for a few days it
    >may recover. If not contact Garmin as they have replaced
    >many memory batteries free of charge even out of warranty.
    >

    >>Anyone else have any reliability problems wit the GPS 12?
    >>Both the other units mentions have a habit of switching
    >>themselves off and on periodically.
    >>

    >Might be caused by a bit of extra room in the battery
    >compartment - several people reported that with the 12 and
    >other models with the same case. The older models were a
    >bit snug in the battery tubes and you could actually get
    >some batteries stuck in the tubes so Garmin made them a bit
    >looser in later models. Different makes and types of
    >batteries are slightly different sizes - rechargeables tend
    >to be a bit fatter. If all else fails tape each pair of
    >batteries together with a little insulating tape before
    >inserting them. That should reduce the chance of them
    >loosing contact when jarred.

    Jim Willsher

    Homepages at http://www.jimwillsher.co.uk

  12. Jim Willsher