GR10- pack size

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Robert Norton, Aug 3, 2005.

  1. What size rucksac would people suggest for gr10- not carrying a tent but wil
    bring thermarest and sleeping bag.
    Rob

    Tags:

  2. I presume you're taking a little more than that?
    Think up a full kit list and that might give you (and us) a better idea
    of your needs

    "Robert Norton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > What size rucksac would people suggest for gr10- not carrying a tent

    but wil
    > bring thermarest and sleeping bag.
    > Rob

  3. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Robert Norton wrote:
    > What size rucksac would people suggest for gr10- not carrying a tent but wil
    > bring thermarest and sleeping bag.

    That'll depend on how big your T-rest and sleeping bag are, and since
    the two together can be fit into about 15 litres if you're minimalist or
    about 50 if you're maximalist, tricky to answer the question just based
    on that...

    It's the sort of question that is IMHO best answered empirically. Take
    your available sacks and see if what you want to take will fit in. If
    you're buying one for the job then the shops will have all the sorts of
    things you'll want to take, so just use their stock to fill up test bags
    and then you can try them for size as well as loaded comfort.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  4. Disappointing and condescending replies, lads!
    I've done a good chunk of the walk already , carrying a tent, etc, etc and
    using a 50 litre bag. The bag was too small and stuff often had to be hung
    outside. I understand about 70 litres is the recommended capacity and
    really just wanted some discussion /confirmation of this.
    Rob N
    > Robert Norton wrote:
    >> What size rucksac would people suggest for gr10- not carrying a tent but
    >> wil bring thermarest and sleeping bag.

    > That'll depend on how big your T-rest and sleeping bag are, and since the
    > two together can be fit into about 15 litres if you're minimalist or about
    > 50 if you're maximalist, tricky to answer the question just based on
    > that...
    >
    > It's the sort of question that is IMHO best answered empirically. Take
    > your available sacks and see if what you want to take will fit in. If
    > you're buying one for the job then the shops will have all the sorts of
    > things you'll want to take, so just use their stock to fill up test bags
    > and then you can try them for size as well as loaded comfort.
    >
    > Pete.
    > --
    > Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    > Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    > Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    > net [email protected] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  5. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    Robert Norton wrote:

    >"Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> Robert Norton wrote:

    >>> What size rucksac would people suggest for gr10- not carrying a tent but
    >>> wil bring thermarest and sleeping bag.

    >> That'll depend on how big your T-rest and sleeping bag are, and since the
    >> two together can be fit into about 15 litres if you're minimalist or about
    >> 50 if you're maximalist, tricky to answer the question just based on
    >> that...
    >>
    >> It's the sort of question that is IMHO best answered empirically. Take
    >> your available sacks and see if what you want to take will fit in. If
    >> you're buying one for the job then the shops will have all the sorts of
    >> things you'll want to take, so just use their stock to fill up test bags
    >> and then you can try them for size as well as loaded comfort.

    >Disappointing and condescending replies, lads!
    >I've done a good chunk of the walk already , carrying a tent, etc, etc and
    >using a 50 litre bag. The bag was too small and stuff often had to be hung
    >outside. I understand about 70 litres is the recommended capacity and
    >really just wanted some discussion /confirmation of this.

    You still haven't told us how big your sleeping bag and T-rest are.

    Pete's idea is the best. Take what you want to take on your walk and
    find a sack at the shop that you can fit it all in.

    If you don't take your tent can you fit your gear in the 50 litre bag?
    If you can't I'd suggest you are taking too much.

  6. AndyP

    AndyP Guest

    "Robert Norton" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Disappointing and condescending replies, lads!
    > I've done a good chunk of the walk already , carrying a tent, etc, etc

    and
    > using a 50 litre bag. The bag was too small and stuff often had to be

    hung
    > outside. I understand about 70 litres is the recommended capacity and
    > really just wanted some discussion /confirmation of this.

    Or you could take the point of view that the 50L bag's the right size
    and you've got too much stuff. Thermarests are for wimps for starters.
    What's wrong with bubblewrap?

  7. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 21:23:09 +0100, "AndyP"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Robert Norton" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> Disappointing and condescending replies, lads!
    >> I've done a good chunk of the walk already , carrying a tent, etc, etc

    >and
    >> using a 50 litre bag. The bag was too small and stuff often had to be

    >hung
    >> outside. I understand about 70 litres is the recommended capacity and
    >> really just wanted some discussion /confirmation of this.

    >Or you could take the point of view that the 50L bag's the right size
    >and you've got too much stuff. Thermarests are for wimps for starters.
    >What's wrong with bubblewrap?

    I did two weeks in Spain with a 35L bag (no tent). I could have gone
    longer with the same gear. It all depends on the availability of food
    etc - I'm not familiar with the GR10, but I believe it goes through
    villages quite regularly.

    "I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone

  8. Boo

    Boo Guest

    Robert Norton wrote:
    > Disappointing and condescending replies, lads!
    > I've done a good chunk of the walk already , carrying a tent, etc, etc and
    > using a 50 litre bag. The bag was too small and stuff often had to be hung
    > outside. I understand about 70 litres is the recommended capacity and
    > really just wanted some discussion /confirmation of this.

    Well, people have differing opinions on this. Personally I'd not
    consider a 70 litre bag for a walk in the Pyrenees - far too big and
    heavy for my needs. 50l is ample and istm if you are dangling stuff
    from the outside of a 50l bag then you would be better off doing a bit
    of a kit-prune than going up to 70 litres. I spent 2 weeks in the
    Pyrenees once using a 35l Kimmsac and completed the HLR using a 50l
    sack, but it'll depend on what you want to take how big a bag you need.

    I've found walking in the Pyrenees to be hard enough work that I
    wouldn't want to carry anything but the lightest pack and this generally
    means smaller too, which is an asset in itself on the scrambly bits.

    So discussion, yes but confirmation, no. I hope I don't seem
    condescending :)

    Cheers,

    --
    Boo

  9. Boo

    Boo Guest

    > I did two weeks in Spain with a 35L bag (no tent). I could have gone
    > longer with the same gear. It all depends on the availability of food
    > etc - I'm not familiar with the GR10, but I believe it goes through
    > villages quite regularly.

    There is a village or something at the end of practically every day on
    the GR10.

    Cheers,

    --
    Boo

  10. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 11:34:51 +0100, Boo <[email protected]_me_no_spam.net>
    wrote:

    >> I did two weeks in Spain with a 35L bag (no tent). I could have gone
    >> longer with the same gear. It all depends on the availability of food
    >> etc - I'm not familiar with the GR10, but I believe it goes through
    >> villages quite regularly.

    >There is a village or something at the end of practically every day on
    >the GR10.
    >
    >Cheers,

    Then I would only carry emergency food (though I always end up eating
    it long before an emergency occurs).

    "I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone

  11. Paul Rooney

    Paul Rooney Guest

    On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 11:33:29 +0100, Boo <[email protected]_me_no_spam.net>
    wrote:

    >I've found walking in the Pyrenees to be hard enough work that I
    >wouldn't want to carry anything but the lightest pack and this generally

    Seconded. Keep it minimal.

    "I always knew the entire Green party were nutters" - Ken Livingstone

  12. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Robert Norton wrote:
    > Disappointing and condescending replies, lads!
    > I've done a good chunk of the walk already , carrying a tent, etc, etc and
    > using a 50 litre bag. The bag was too small and stuff often had to be hung
    > outside. I understand about 70 litres is the recommended capacity and
    > really just wanted some discussion /confirmation of this.

    Well, sorry if you felt you were being talked down to. I answered
    the query that was actually given as well as I could, though I
    still think my suggestion of using the facilities of a shop to
    answer your question emprically to /your/ satisfaction is the best
    way you'll get it answered. These things don't have single answers
    that apply to everyone and everyone's way of doing things.

    Pete.