Grab-On website, or, It's the Lord's Day on the web

Chalo

Guest
I was poking around on the web for some Grab-On drop bar grips (the
squishy black foam tubes that make any bike look like a trashpicked
foundling).

I hit the Grab-On website to find out the name of the particular
product I was looking for, but the page said this:

"Our commercial website is closed over the
weekend in observance of the Sabbath.

"Why?

"Because we consider it a priviledge to honor
our Lord's request to 'Remember the Sabbath
Day to keep it Holy' -Exodus 20:8

"Until our new weekend site 'Dayspring' is
available we invite you to click on this link."
[removed]

The link was to a proselytic Christhole page of a comparatively
harmless flavor.

I've been bumbling around the internets since at least 1992, and I had
never until today run across a _website_ that takes the Sabbath off.
I'd reckon that if you're in business selling something and you want
to avoid working on the Sabbath, you might consider having a website
and email to help you do that.

If it's for their own practice, then I have no idea why they wouldn't
do like the Orthodox Jews who have issues about switching lights on
during the Sabbath-- they just _leave the lights on_. Leaving the
website up unless Jebus chooses to smite it over the weekend seems
like the sensible approach. It makes me wonder whether the folks at
Grab-On are trying to help _me_ observe the arbitrary customs of their
crackpot religion.

So has anybody else run across a website that takes Sunday off to show
its devotion to Gawd?

And what's your take on doing business with folks who push their
religion on customers?

Chalo

In article
<f5ffe603-0dce-4972-8ea4-a5153912670f@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:

> I was poking around on the web for some Grab-On drop bar grips (the
> squishy black foam tubes that make any bike look like a trashpicked
> foundling).
>
> I hit the Grab-On website to find out the name of the particular
> product I was looking for, but the page said this:
>
> "Our commercial website is closed over the
> weekend in observance of the Sabbath.
>
> "Why?
>
> "Because we consider it a priviledge to honor
> our Lord's request to 'Remember the Sabbath
> Day to keep it Holy' -Exodus 20:8
>
> "Until our new weekend site 'Dayspring' is
> available we invite you to click on this link."
> [removed]
>
> The link was to a proselytic Christhole page of a comparatively
> harmless flavor.
>
> I've been bumbling around the internets since at least 1992, and I had
> never until today run across a _website_ that takes the Sabbath off.
> I'd reckon that if you're in business selling something and you want
> to avoid working on the Sabbath, you might consider having a website
> and email to help you do that.
>
> If it's for their own practice, then I have no idea why they wouldn't
> do like the Orthodox Jews who have issues about switching lights on
> during the Sabbath-- they just _leave the lights on_. Leaving the
> website up unless Jebus chooses to smite it over the weekend seems
> like the sensible approach. It makes me wonder whether the folks at
> Grab-On are trying to help _me_ observe the arbitrary customs of their
> crackpot religion.
>
> So has anybody else run across a website that takes Sunday off to show
> its devotion to Gawd?

As it happens, Adbusters turned off their webstore during Black Friday,
or as they quaintly call it, "Buy Nothing Day." I suppose political
stands should be considered more, er, sacred, than religious ones.

> And what's your take on doing business with folks who push their
> religion on customers?

Well, how bad did you need that part? I imagine that since they probably
don't ship anything until Monday anyways, not a lot of actual business
gets delayed.

And you know, you could hardly throw a stone at a BMX parts-maker
convention without hitting a company with an overtly blasphemous* name
or product name.

My only thought is that on one hand, I'd be very unlikely to buy
anything from Cove Bikes, because, well, I don't really want to ride
around on a bike that is called the Cove Handjob**. On the other, if I
found out that my favourite falafel shop was closed on Friday for
religious reasons***, my annoyance would extend no further than my
desire for falafel on Friday. I'm considerably more annoyed by the pizza
joint near my work that has very good pizza but which is sometimes
closed for business at random times with no indication of why.

Or to put it another way, if the guy down the street calls his company
Holy Cow bicycles, claims all of his frames are built with an eye to the
proper alignment of the rider's chakras, and includes a vial of water
from the Ganges with every purchase, my main questions will be about
durability and pricing.

*well, to Christians. Not a lot of BMX-based jibes at Hindus.
**like virtually all the Cove bikes names, this one is really more of a
double-entendre than an overt bit of rudeness. In another bike company,
you might assume that a bike name like "Shocker" was purely an
electrical reference, but put beside the "Playmate", "Stiffee",
"Hummer", "Sanchez", "Peeler", etc., well, you get the idea, as it were.
***purely theoretical example. I don't like falafel much.

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

Chalo <[email protected]> writes:

> So has anybody else run across a website that takes Sunday off to show
> its devotion to Gawd?
>
> And what's your take on doing business with folks who push their
> religion on customers?

http://adbusters.org/metas/eco/bnd/

To paraphrase Dr. David Suzuki: "We used to have a Buy Nothing Day
once a week. We called it 'Sunday.'"

I think it can be good to take a break from consumerism
and materialism, and instead contemplate deeper values.
Or even actively work on those deeper values, especially
if they involve non-profit service to fellow humanity.
It doesn't have to be cloaked in religiosity. But I
personally figure we honour The Almighty, not by reserving
time for doing nothing but twiddling our thumbs, but for
concentratedly doing the /right/ things[*]. Of course the
rest of the time we should be doing the right things too,
but it doesn't hurt to have a weekly reminder.

Just taking time off once a week from doing stuff is
mere mummery.

cheers,
Tom

[*] If you're gonna ask me what I think the "right things"
are, my answer is: whatever supports, enriches and
positively affects our fellow humanity. The lyrics/song:
"Friends" off Led Zeppelin III says it all very nicely.
/That's/ my religion.

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

Chalo wrote:
> I was poking around on the web for some Grab-On drop bar grips (the
> squishy black foam tubes that make any bike look like a trashpicked
> foundling).
>
> I hit the Grab-On website to find out the name of the particular
> product I was looking for, but the page said this:
>
> "Our commercial website is closed over the
> weekend in observance of the Sabbath.
>
> "Why?
>
> "Because we consider it a priviledge to honor
> our Lord's request to 'Remember the Sabbath
> Day to keep it Holy' -Exodus 20:8
>
> "Until our new weekend site 'Dayspring' is
> available we invite you to click on this link."
> [removed]
>
> The link was to a proselytic Christhole page of a comparatively
> harmless flavor.
>
> I've been bumbling around the internets since at least 1992, and I had
> never until today run across a _website_ that takes the Sabbath off.
> I'd reckon that if you're in business selling something and you want
> to avoid working on the Sabbath, you might consider having a website
> and email to help you do that.
>
> If it's for their own practice, then I have no idea why they wouldn't
> do like the Orthodox Jews who have issues about switching lights on
> during the Sabbath-- they just _leave the lights on_. Leaving the
> website up unless Jebus chooses to smite it over the weekend seems
> like the sensible approach. It makes me wonder whether the folks at
> Grab-On are trying to help _me_ observe the arbitrary customs of their
> crackpot religion.
>
> So has anybody else run across a website that takes Sunday off to show
> its devotion to Gawd?
>
> And what's your take on doing business with folks who push their
> religion on customers?
>
> Chalo

Since you neglect to post the link and a few minutes of Googling produced
retail outlets (including Sheldon's) only, I'd say they're hardly "pushing"
anything, even their products.

While I resist preaching and have no desire to be saved from anything, I
have no problem with who hold to their convictions regardless of the
reactions of shallow, judgmental people whom they encounter.

I don't recall ever seeing a website that "closes" on Sundays or the Sabbath
or /any/ specific holiday for that matter, but so what? If you don't like
it then don't do business with them. Simple.

Sounds like the one with issues is you.

Bill S.

Sorry, I meant to include http://www.grabongrips.com

> While I resist preaching and have no desire to be saved from anything, I
> have no problem with who hold to their convictions regardless of the
> reactions of shallow, judgmental people whom they encounter.

I'd have found it quirky but honorable if they said, "we don't do
business on Sunday [Saturday,whatever] so come back later". It was
the slinging of the proselytism, restrained though it might have been,
that turned me off.

> I don't recall ever seeing a website that "closes" on Sundays or the Sabbath
> or /any/ specific holiday for that matter, but so what? If you don't like
> it then don't do business with them. Simple.

That's what I decided to do the first moment I had a sniff of their
****. But I was soliciting the opinions of others here.

> Sounds like the one with issues is you.

Growing up in the Southern Baptist Church gave me a bad allergy to
stupid.

Chalo

"Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> I was poking around on the web for some Grab-On drop bar grips (the
> squishy black foam tubes that make any bike look like a trashpicked
> foundling).
>
> I hit the Grab-On website to find out the name of the particular
> product I was looking for, but the page said this:
>
> "Our commercial website is closed over the
> weekend in observance of the Sabbath.
>
> "Why?
>
> "Because we consider it a priviledge to honor
> our Lord's request to 'Remember the Sabbath
> Day to keep it Holy' -Exodus 20:8
>
> "Until our new weekend site 'Dayspring' is
> available we invite you to click on this link."
> [removed]
>
> The link was to a proselytic Christhole page of a comparatively
> harmless flavor.
>
> I've been bumbling around the internets since at least 1992, and I had
> never until today run across a _website_ that takes the Sabbath off.
> I'd reckon that if you're in business selling something and you want
> to avoid working on the Sabbath, you might consider having a website
> and email to help you do that.
>
> If it's for their own practice, then I have no idea why they wouldn't
> do like the Orthodox Jews who have issues about switching lights on
> during the Sabbath-- they just _leave the lights on_. Leaving the
> website up unless Jebus chooses to smite it over the weekend seems
> like the sensible approach. It makes me wonder whether the folks at
> Grab-On are trying to help _me_ observe the arbitrary customs of their
> crackpot religion.
>
> So has anybody else run across a website that takes Sunday off to show
> its devotion to Gawd?
>
> And what's your take on doing business with folks who push their
> religion on customers?

You don't provide the website so we can't see for ourselves. From what you
say they're not "pushing their religion." They're exercising religious
freedom. It's a free country, it's a free world, they can do what they
like. If you don't like it shop somewhere else. On the other hand, you
could always generalize about Christians. It's popular.

--
JF

On Nov 24, 7:33 pm, Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
> I was poking around on the web for some Grab-On drop bar grips (the
> squishy black foam tubes that make any bike look like a trashpicked
> foundling).
>
> I hit the Grab-On website to find out the name of the particular
> product I was looking for, but the page said this:
>
> "Our commercial website is closed over the
> weekend in observance of the Sabbath.
>
> "Why?
>
> "Because we consider it a priviledge to honor
> our Lord's request to 'Remember the Sabbath
> Day to keep it Holy' -Exodus 20:8
>
> "Until our new weekend site 'Dayspring' is
> available we invite you to click on this link."
> [removed]
>
> The link was to a proselytic Christhole page of a comparatively
> harmless flavor.
>
> I've been bumbling around the internets since at least 1992, and I had
> never until today run across a _website_ that takes the Sabbath off.
> I'd reckon that if you're in business selling something and you want
> to avoid working on the Sabbath, you might consider having a website
> and email to help you do that.
>
> If it's for their own practice, then I have no idea why they wouldn't
> do like the Orthodox Jews who have issues about switching lights on
> during the Sabbath-- they just _leave the lights on_. Leaving the
> website up unless Jebus chooses to smite it over the weekend seems
> like the sensible approach. It makes me wonder whether the folks at
> Grab-On are trying to help _me_ observe the arbitrary customs of their
> crackpot religion.
>
> So has anybody else run across a website that takes Sunday off to show
> its devotion to Gawd?
>
> And what's your take on doing business with folks who push their
> religion on customers?

If they have a product you want or need and they're willing to sell to
heathens, heretics and other non-believers, why not??

In article <c784875e-cc2b-4976-ae60-dda680848aea@r31g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
Chalo <[email protected]> writes:

>> While I resist preaching and have no desire to be saved from anything, I
>> have no problem with who hold to their convictions regardless of the
>> reactions of shallow, judgmental people whom they encounter.

> I'd have found it quirky but honorable if they said, "we don't do
> business on Sunday [Saturday,whatever] so come back later". It was
> the slinging of the proselytism, restrained though it might have been,
> that turned me off.

I don't blame ya.

It's a piece o' cake to blab a bunch of self-righteous stuff.

It's not so easy to feed the hungry, clothe the needy or
house the homeless, or to eke people away from the stuff
that's wrecking their lives.

Lip service is just a bunch of insulting razmatazz.
"Just say no." Yeah, right. Really looking out for our
fellow mortals takes more effort than posting a website
and hoping/expecting everybody hits it, reads it, and
has an epiphany.

cheers,
Tom

--

Chalo wrote:
> [...]

>> anything, I have no problem with who hold to their convictions
>> regardless of the reactions of shallow, judgmental people whom they
>> encounter.

> I'd have found it quirky but honorable if they said, "we don't do
> business on Sunday [Saturday,whatever] so come back later". It was
> the slinging of the proselytism, restrained though it might have been,
> that turned me off.
>
>> I don't recall ever seeing a website that "closes" on Sundays or the
>> Sabbath or /any/ specific holiday for that matter, but so what? If
>> you don't like it then don't do business with them. Simple.

> That's what I decided to do the first moment I had a sniff of their
> ****. But I was soliciting the opinions of others here.
>
>> Sounds like the one with issues is you.

> Growing up in the Southern Baptist Church gave me a bad allergy to

To me it's no different from walking up to a business and finding the door
locked. That they bothered to tell you why is inconsequential.

Get over it.

BS

Tom Keats wrote:
> In article <c784875e-cc2b-4976-ae60-dda680848aea@r31g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
> Chalo <[email protected]> writes:
>>> While I resist preaching and have no desire to be saved from anything, I
>>> have no problem with who hold to their convictions regardless of the
>>> reactions of shallow, judgmental people whom they encounter.

>> I'd have found it quirky but honorable if they said, "we don't do
>> business on Sunday [Saturday,whatever] so come back later". It was
>> the slinging of the proselytism, restrained though it might have been,
>> that turned me off.

> I don't blame ya.
>
> It's a piece o' cake to blab a bunch of self-righteous stuff.
>
> It's not so easy to feed the hungry, clothe the needy or
> house the homeless, or to eke people away from the stuff
> that's wrecking their lives.
>
> Lip service is just a bunch of insulting razmatazz.
> "Just say no." Yeah, right. Really looking out for our
> fellow mortals takes more effort than posting a website
> and hoping/expecting everybody hits it, reads it, and
> has an epiphany.

The modern church in the U$A preaches that God rewards the faithful in
this life with monetary success, and that you are a sinner if you vote
Democrat.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

Chalo Colina wrote:
> On Nov 24, 8:38 pm, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I don't recall ever seeing a website that "closes" on Sundays or the Sabbath
>> or /any/ specific holiday for that matter, but so what? If you don't like
>> it then don't do business with them. Simple.

> That's what I decided to do the first moment I had a sniff of their
> ****. But I was soliciting the opinions of others here....

What if they were promoting the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

In article <[email protected]>,
Tom Sherman <[email protected]> writes:
> Tom Keats wrote:
>>> I'd have found it quirky but honorable if they said, "we don't do
>>> business on Sunday [Saturday,whatever] so come back later". It was
>>> the slinging of the proselytism, restrained though it might have been,
>>> that turned me off.

>> I don't blame ya.
>>
>> It's a piece o' cake to blab a bunch of self-righteous stuff.
>>
>> It's not so easy to feed the hungry, clothe the needy or
>> house the homeless, or to eke people away from the stuff
>> that's wrecking their lives.
>>
>> Lip service is just a bunch of insulting razmatazz.
>> "Just say no." Yeah, right. Really looking out for our
>> fellow mortals takes more effort than posting a website
>> and hoping/expecting everybody hits it, reads it, and
>> has an epiphany.

> The modern church in the U$A preaches that God rewards the faithful in
> this life with monetary success, and that you are a sinner if you vote
> Democrat.

People gravitate toward the easiest, most convenient way.
I've known people who've decided what diseases they have,
and then sought & sought & sought doctors who agree with them.
And then they died.

Yet G-d loves you, through me, because I love you.

You'd better hope I don't get obliviated, or else you're
out there high 'n dry 'n lonesome.

That's why we need each other. Without fellows, we're
nothing.

That's also why we should be kind instead of cruel to
each other, or not talk behind other people's backs
about them, or not judge people while we're riddled
with flaws ourselves.

If you could do some cowboyin', and learn to communicate
without speakin' or writin', well, you'd ...

cheers,
Tom

--

Chalo wrote:

> I hit the Grab-On website to find out the name of the particular
> product I was looking for, but the page said this:
>
> "Our commercial website is closed over the
> weekend in observance of the Sabbath.
>
> "Why?
>
> "Because we consider it a priviledge to honor
> our Lord's request to 'Remember the Sabbath
> Day to keep it Holy' -Exodus 20:8
>
> "Until our new weekend site 'Dayspring' is
> available we invite you to click on this link."
> [removed]
>
> The link was to a proselytic Christhole page of a comparatively
> harmless flavor.

Update: Now that it's Sunday, the Grab-On website page is back up,
including the shopping cart.

http://www.grabongrips.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9

So I guess the Jebus fans at Grab-On are Seventh-day Adventists.

I'm going to seek my foam tubes elsewhere, or just use cork tape.
Does anyone know of an alternate source of tubular grips for drop
bars? I'm looking for some about 8" long, so track grips aren't
ideal.

Chalo

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 17:33:36 -0800 (PST), Chalo
<[email protected]> wrote:

>If it's for their own practice, then I have no idea why they wouldn't
>do like the Orthodox Jews who have issues about switching lights on
>during the Sabbath-- they just _leave the lights on_.

"In 1996, the Institute of Science and Halacha in Israel began
working on invisible inks so that Orthodox Jewish doctors could write
prescriptions on the Sabbath - avoiding the Biblical injunction
against creation on the day of rest! If a handwriting specimen faded
away, it could be deemed a temporary, and therefore permissible,
creation."

>Leaving the
>website up unless Jebus chooses to smite it over the weekend seems
>like the sensible approach. It makes me wonder whether the folks at
>Grab-On are trying to help _me_ observe the arbitrary customs of their
>crackpot religion.

Some do: http://www.closedsundays.org/

Here's a rant about online banking services being closed Sundays, so
they could be affected by something like that.

http://matthom.com/archive/2005/10/30/online-banking-closed-on-sundays/feedback/#1612
\
>And what's your take on doing business with folks who push their
>religion on customers?

I find the best Mexican restaurants usually have a devotional alter
to the Virgin or at least a crucifix prominently displayed. My
favourite Thai and Vietnamese restaurants have your basic household
Buddhist shrines A portrait of the Aga Khan or Guru Nanak Dev Ji
looks out over the cash register in stores and services I frequent.
The Park tool website is preachy, IMO. I've probably bought one of
their products on Sunday in store devoid of religious symbols.
--
zk

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 00:16:53 -0800 (PST), Chalo
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm going to seek my foam tubes elsewhere, or just use cork tape.
>Does anyone know of an alternate source of tubular grips for drop
>bars? I'm looking for some about 8" long, so track grips aren't
>ideal.

The imitation Grab-Ons from Asia don't last as long so they really do
look ratty. I bought a set at Canadian Tire. They were about half the
price of Grab-Ons. They look the same but aren't nearly as dense.
--
zk

Chalo wrote:

> Update: Now that it's Sunday, the Grab-On website page is back up,
> including the shopping cart.
>
> http://www.grabongrips.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9
>
> So I guess the Jebus fans at Grab-On are Seventh-day Adventists.
>
> I'm going to seek my foam tubes elsewhere, or just use cork tape.
> Does anyone know of an alternate source of tubular grips for drop
> bars? I'm looking for some about 8" long, so track grips aren't
> ideal.

Jebus Krisp they're everywhere. Thanks for the troll...

"Zoot Katz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 17:33:36 -0800 (PST), Chalo
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >If it's for their own practice, then I have no idea why they wouldn't
> >do like the Orthodox Jews who have issues about switching lights on
> >during the Sabbath-- they just _leave the lights on_.

> "In 1996, the Institute of Science and Halacha in Israel began
> working on invisible inks so that Orthodox Jewish doctors could write
> prescriptions on the Sabbath - avoiding the Biblical injunction
> against creation on the day of rest! If a handwriting specimen faded
> away, it could be deemed a temporary, and therefore permissible,
> creation."

I believe that there is a general release from that anyway for someone
providing healing. It is much the same as providing emergency services. In
Israel, many of those functions are taken care of by the Orthodox. Violating
Shabbat (Sabbath) for that purpose is actually a great mitzvah (religious
good deed).

Don't the Seventh Day Adventists keep Saturday as their Sabbath? I know they
keep some elements of kosher in their tradition.

Just looked at the Grabon website. They indeed close early on Fridays. I
would assume that is to leave everyone enough time and prepare for the
Sabbath. Chalo said: "The link was to a proselytic Christhole page of a
comparatively harmless flavor". I assume from that statement this is NOT a
Jewish group, unless it is one of the Messianic churches that try to appear
Jewish-like. They just built one up the street from our warehouse here in
Houston. Funny thing is there are no Friday evening services, but Saturday
it is packed from what I hear.

We live in a very diverse world, getting more complicated by the year. I
don't think we should try to inconvenience others who don't keep the exact
same traditions as we do. If the business is not open, it is not open. But
to close access to a website with information in order to encourage others
to view your religious message is not right at all. Hey, I know of at least
three sabbath days each week. Guess what... they are all correct!

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Bruce

"Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> And what's your take on doing business with folks who push their
> religion on customers?

Who does that? The website you mention isn't pushing anything are they?
You're completely free to do as you will.

> [...]

>> have no problem with who hold to their convictions regardless of the
>> reactions of shallow, judgmental people whom they encounter.

> I'd have found it quirky but honorable if they said, "we don't do
> business on Sunday [Saturday,whatever] so come back later". It was
> the slinging of the proselytism, restrained though it might have been,
> that turned me off.
>
>> I don't recall ever seeing a website that "closes" on Sundays or the
>> Sabbath
>> or /any/ specific holiday for that matter, but so what? If you don't
>> like
>> it then don't do business with them. Simple.

> That's what I decided to do the first moment I had a sniff of their
> ****. But I was soliciting the opinions of others here.
>
>> Sounds like the one with issues is you.

> Growing up in the Southern Baptist Church gave me a bad allergy to

It sounds as if you hate them because of their religion convictions.
Apparently, since you gave yours up, you feel convicted when others display
their devotion.