Grab-On website, or, It's the Lord's Day on the web

Bruce Gilbert wrote:
> We live in a very diverse world, getting more complicated by the year. I
> don't think we should try to inconvenience others who don't keep the exact
> same traditions as we do. If the business is not open, it is not open. But
> to close access to a website with information in order to encourage others
> to view your religious message is not right at all.

Yeah, why not just put a statement on the website that orders will not
be processed until Monday, and leave it at that? Unless, of course, they
are trying to impose their belief on others (a common, but rather futile
goal).

> Hey, I know of at least
> three sabbath days each week. Guess what... they are all correct!

The workers practiced Islam on Friday, Judaism on Saturday and
Christianity on Sunday, granting themselves a 3-day weekend every week.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

"Bruce Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote...

> We live in a very diverse world, getting more complicated by the year. I
> don't think we should try to inconvenience others who don't keep the exact
> same traditions as we do. If the business is not open, it is not open. But
> to close access to a website with information in order to encourage others
> to view your religious message is not right at all. Hey, I know of at
> least
> three sabbath days each week. Guess what... they are all correct!

Granted, _you_ don't think "we" should "try" to inconvenience others who
don't keep the exact traditions we do, but aren't you're just suggesting is
that your beliefs should be imposed on them because they are "trying" to
impose their beliefs on "us?" Do you honestly think the business owner is
making a conscious attempt (i.e., trying) to inconvenience potential
customers? What business person is going to try to inconvenience people?
Isn't the more likely explanation that they're just doing their thing, which
they have a right to do?

Wouldn't be the way you or I might do it, but by suggesting they "should" do
it your way, you're being just as proselytizing as you say they're being.
What you suggest is reflective of a Big Brother, top down, coercive,
anti-religious dogmatism that positively discriminates against people of
faith. But you couch it in the tolerant sounding language of the PC Police:
"we live in a diverse world," "I don't think we should," "all three sabbaths
are correct," and the Thanksgiving wellwish. But the logical implications
of your statement suggest that what you really want to do is so privatize
religious freedom that you push it right out of the public sphere. Just
like communist Russia (it didn't work).

I'd like to see this religious message. Anybody have a link? Their
shopping cart is powered by Zen Cart. Maybe they're Buddhists. Those crazy
Buddhists. And what kind of raging fundy would countenance a business that
has the word "Zen" in it? They're probably liberals!

--
JF

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bruce Gilbert wrote:
>> We live in a very diverse world, getting more complicated by the year. I
>> don't think we should try to inconvenience others who don't keep the
>> exact
>> same traditions as we do. If the business is not open, it is not open.
>> But
>> to close access to a website with information in order to encourage
>> others
>> to view your religious message is not right at all.

> Yeah, why not just put a statement on the website that orders will not be
> processed until Monday, and leave it at that? Unless, of course, they are
> trying to impose their belief on others (a common, but rather futile
> goal).

Letting others know your beliefs on your website is a long way from trying
to "impose" your beliefs.
If I tell you that I don't eat red meat because I worship cows [NOT], that's
not imposing my belief on you or trying to do so.

>> Hey, I know of at least
>> three sabbath days each week. Guess what... they are all correct!

> The workers practiced Islam on Friday, Judaism on Saturday and
> Christianity on Sunday, granting themselves a 3-day weekend every week.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> "Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
> differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
> excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter

> It sounds as if you hate them because of their religion convictions.
> Apparently, since you gave yours up, you feel convicted when others
> display their devotion.

Did you mean "conflicted"?

....So has anybody else run across a website that takes Sunday off to
show its devotion to Gawd?
And what's your take on doing business with folks who push their
religion on customers?
Chalo

Dear Chalo

I normally don't reply and/or enter the fray regarding such posts as
yours, but for you I'll make an exception.

I'm not a religious man however I applaud the folks at GRABON for
standing up for the beliefs.

It's my opinion that to many entities in the United States have chosen
the easy way out on virtually every facet of life for the sake of being
politically correct.

I bought my first pair of GRABON grips nearly 30 years ago. They were
made in the USA then and they still are today.

Please go buy your "knock-off" GRABON grips . Hopefully they're NOT
produced with child labor. Hopefully they're NOT produced in a country
that bans religious freedoms. Hopefully they're NOT produced in a
factory that dumps industrial waste into the rivers.

I'm tired of the levellers who need to drain our society down to their
level, just to be heard.

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote

>> It sounds as if you hate them because of their religion convictions.
>> Apparently, since you gave yours up, you feel convicted when others
>> display their devotion.

> Did you mean "conflicted"?

No, I actually meant "convicted".

On Nov 25, 8:09 am, "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Chalo" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >> Since you neglect to post the link and a few minutes of Googling produced
> >> retail outlets (including Sheldon's) only, I'd say they're hardly
> >> "pushing"
> >> anything, even their products.

> > Sorry, I meant to includehttp://www.grabongrips.com

> >> While I resist preaching and have no desire to be saved from anything, I
> >> have no problem with who hold to their convictions regardless of the
> >> reactions of shallow, judgmental people whom they encounter.

> > I'd have found it quirky but honorable if they said, "we don't do
> > business on Sunday [Saturday,whatever] so come back later". It was
> > the slinging of the proselytism, restrained though it might have been,
> > that turned me off.

> >> I don't recall ever seeing a website that "closes" on Sundays or the
> >> Sabbath
> >> or /any/ specific holiday for that matter, but so what? If you don't
> >> like
> >> it then don't do business with them. Simple.

> > That's what I decided to do the first moment I had a sniff of their
> > ****. But I was soliciting the opinions of others here.

> >> Sounds like the one with issues is you.

> > Growing up in the Southern Baptist Church gave me a bad allergy to
> > stupid.

> > Chalo

> It sounds as if you hate them because of their religion convictions.
> Apparently, since you gave yours up, you feel convicted when others display
> their devotion.

By devotion, you mean "willful ignorance", right? Religious devotion
is mental illness forced to be accepted by society due to it's sheer
numbers, it is not a virtue.

In article
<f5ffe603-0dce-4972-8ea4-a5153912670f@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:

> So has anybody else run across a website that takes Sunday off to show
> its devotion to Gawd?
>
> And what's your take on doing business with folks who push their
> religion on customers?
>
> Chalo

lighten up, francis.

..max

--
The part of betatron @ earthlink . net was played by a garden gnome

landotter ? wrote:
> People of faith *should* be discriminated against....

Hey, I am a member of the Church of RANS (bicycle sect)!

See our website at: <http://www.rans.com/>.

max wrote:
> In article
> <f5ffe603-0dce-4972-8ea4-a5153912670f@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
> Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> So has anybody else run across a website that takes Sunday off to show
>> its devotion to Gawd?
>>
>> And what's your take on doing business with folks who push their
>> religion on customers?
>>
>> Chalo

> lighten up, francis.

Who is Francis?

For what its worth, Chalo has reported lightening up considerably.

> I was poking around on the web for some Grab-On drop bar grips (the
> squishy black foam tubes that make any bike look like a trashpicked
> foundling).
>
> I hit the Grab-On website to find out the name of the particular
> product I was looking for, but the page said this:
>
> "Our commercial website is closed over the
> weekend in observance of the Sabbath.
>
> "Why?
>
> "Because we consider it a priviledge to honor
> our Lord's request to 'Remember the Sabbath
> Day to keep it Holy' -Exodus 20:8
>
> "Until our new weekend site 'Dayspring' is
> available we invite you to click on this link."
> [removed]
>
> The link was to a proselytic Christhole page of a comparatively
> harmless flavor.
>
> I've been bumbling around the internets since at least 1992, and I had
> never until today run across a _website_ that takes the Sabbath off.
> I'd reckon that if you're in business selling something and you want
> to avoid working on the Sabbath, you might consider having a website
> and email to help you do that.
>
> If it's for their own practice, then I have no idea why they wouldn't
> do like the Orthodox Jews who have issues about switching lights on
> during the Sabbath-- they just _leave the lights on_. Leaving the
> website up unless Jebus chooses to smite it over the weekend seems
> like the sensible approach. It makes me wonder whether the folks at
> Grab-On are trying to help _me_ observe the arbitrary customs of their
> crackpot religion.
>
> So has anybody else run across a website that takes Sunday off to show
> its devotion to Gawd?
>
> And what's your take on doing business with folks who push their
> religion on customers?

"Pushy" and "preachy" is in the eye of the beholder.... and there are
millions of people who would find the anti-car sentiments expressed here to
be both.

Let's face it: if you aren't a believer in
God/vegetarianism/bicycling/Hillary Clinton/whatever, you probably aren't
real keen on someone telling you that you *should* be, especially if you
don't know them.

But that's where it gets tricky; does that mean we should all be meek little
people afraid to wear our hearts on our sleeves (literally, as in a shirt
with political, religious, or environmental beliefs)?

That's where that whole "eye of the beholder" thing comes into play. And
personally I think you overreacted.

brink

In article <[email protected]>,
"brink" <[email protected]> writes:

> But that's where it gets tricky; does that mean we should all be meek little
> people afraid to wear our hearts on our sleeves (literally, as in a shirt
> with political, religious, or environmental beliefs)?

I have some Snobol4 t-shirts.

I wouldn't mind having a Screaming Blue Messiahs hoodie.

Back in the '70s, a friend of mine's girlfriend embroidered
the Blue Oyster Cult symbol on the back of his jeans jacket.
That was kewl.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

On Nov 25, 7:42 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> landotter ? wrote:
> > People of faith *should* be discriminated against....

> Hey, I am a member of the Church of RANS (bicycle sect)!
>
> See our website at: <http://www.rans.com/>.

TRUE BELIEVER TRUE BELIEVER!!!!!!

/me cranks klaxon and puts tablet under tongue

>>> It sounds as if you hate them because of their religion convictions.
>>> Apparently, since you gave yours up, you feel convicted when others
>>> display their devotion.

>> Did you mean "conflicted"?

> No, I actually meant "convicted".

Then I don't understand your point. What would he be convicted of?

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>>> Did you mean "conflicted"?

>> No, I actually meant "convicted".

> Then I don't understand your point. What would he be convicted of?

I think he means his conscience is bothered.

--
JF

"Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote
> "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

>>> No, I actually meant "convicted".

>> Then I don't understand your point. What would he be convicted of?

> I think he means his conscience is bothered.

Exactly: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/convicted

con·vict
v. con·vict·ed, con·vict·ing, con·victs

v. tr.

1.. Law To find or prove (someone) guilty of an offense or crime,
especially by the verdict of a court: The jury convicted the defendant of
manslaughter.
2.. To show or declare to be blameworthy; condemn: His remarks convicted
him of a lack of sensitivity.
3.. To make aware of one's sinfulness or guilt

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Yeah, why not just put a statement on the website that orders will not be
> processed until Monday, and leave it at that?

we'll have to check it out

>Unless, of course, they are trying to impose their belief on others (a
>common, but rather futile goal).

Seems to have worked for ChikFilA

mk5000

"Instead of a Capital Grille-style slab of meat on a plate, the sirloin
or filet or beef ribs here are paraded on glistening skewers, tender
slices carved on demand at your table - a barbecue (or more precisely,
/churrasco/) buffet on the
hoof."--http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/special_packages/inquirer_magazine/16482181.htm

Posted on Sun, Jan. 21, 2007
Gauchos stride the range on Chestnut St.

>*By Rick Nichols*
>*Inquirer Columnist*

"brink" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Let's face it: if you aren't a believer in
> God/vegetarianism/bicycling/Hillary Clinton/whatever, you probably aren't
> real keen on someone telling you that you *should* be, especially if you
> don't know them.

you are right about the phase thing, and it;'s getting more and more trendy
and the farther we go from the farm the more trendy it is to think of cows
as fluffy
and chicken and fish as vegetables

mk5000

"Of its early mountainous shore,
Yet a solemn peace of its own.

And the width of the waters, the hush
Of the grey expanse where he floats,"--matthew arnold, future

"Jim Flom" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> You don't provide the website so we can't see for ourselves. From what
> you say they're not "pushing their religion." They're exercising
> religious freedom. It's a free country, it's a free world, they can do
> what they like. If you don't like it shop somewhere else. On the other
> hand, you could always generalize about Christians. It's popular.

yup

mk5000

"Regenerative feedback. We derive an ought from an is and then use the
ought
to skew our perception of the is so that it looks more like the ought. Then
we derive another ought from the skewed is and use that ought to skew the is
even more. And so on."--tom