GRABAAWR versus RAGBRAI

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Joseph Goett, Mar 25, 2003.

  1. Joseph Goett

    Joseph Goett Guest

    A friend and I are doing the Wisconsin cross-state ride in June (GRABAAWR). I'm suggesting we do
    the "hotel/motel" thing, since our bodies are not exactly young. He wants to camp at the
    schools, because he heard bike camps were "wild and crazy" parties. I think he's mistaking
    RAGBRAI for GRABAAWR.

    Anybody been on both? Or can comment on the Wisconsin ride?

    Thx

    Tags:

  2. Jmk

    Jmk Guest

    Joe,

    I have never done RAGBRAI, although I have done GRABAAWR five times. I would not characterize the
    camp sites at the schools on GRABAAWR as wild and crazy.... more staid and civilized. According to
    the brochure that the staff provided, the average age of the riders last year was 48 years old and
    there were 1050 participants. Every year the average age increases by one year, probably due to
    returning participants.

    I have done a few trip reports on our GRABAAWR experiences. You can find them on my homepage:

    http://www.usinternet.com/users/jkruzkarr/homepage.html

    Good luck and maybe we'll see you in early July.

    Jim

    "Joseph Goett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > A friend and I are doing the Wisconsin cross-state ride in June (GRABAAWR). I'm suggesting we do
    > the "hotel/motel" thing, since our bodies are not exactly young. He wants to camp at the schools,
    > because he heard bike camps were "wild and crazy" parties. I think he's mistaking RAGBRAI for
    > GRABAAWR.
    >
    > Anybody been on both? Or can comment on the Wisconsin ride?
    >
    > Thx

  3. Harley

    Harley Guest

    I'm also considering GRABAAWR. I've ridden RAGBRAI the last 7 years and the campgrounds I've been at
    were all pretty quite; real quite after
    10:pm. ~h~

  4. Gary Mishler

    Gary Mishler Guest

    "Joseph Goett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > A friend and I are doing the Wisconsin cross-state ride in June (GRABAAWR). I'm suggesting we do
    > the "hotel/motel" thing, since our bodies are not exactly young. He wants to camp at the schools,
    > because he heard bike camps were "wild and crazy" parties. I think he's mistaking RAGBRAI for
    > GRABAAWR.
    >
    > Anybody been on both? Or can comment on the Wisconsin ride?
    >
    > Thx

    You share a common misconception about RAGBRAI. Contrary to popular myth, the average age on RAGBRAI
    is early 40's with lots of families and groups of friends. The hard partiers that get all the
    publicity, and who are responsible for most of the "wild" stories, represent a very small minority
    of the total riders.

    I've never done GRABAAWR but I'm a veteran of four RAGBRAIs. My experience with the campgrounds are
    that they are generally well behaved and tend to get quiet around 9:00 and stay that way all night.

    No could get away with a loud "wild and crazy" party in the campgrounds because it would never be
    tolerated by the 97% of people who want to get a good night's sleep so they can have fun riding the
    next day. The "wild and crazy" your friend has heard about is most likely the 2 - 5% of riders who
    get carried away in the last stop before the campgrounds ("party town"), or in the bars of the
    overnight towns.

    People of all age camp for the week on RAGBRAI with no problem, it's part of the "experience".

  5. John Downey Ann Arbor, MI 48103 [email protected] Telephone: 734-668-8757 home page:
    http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jdowney/index.html

    <\ \ \[email protected] \\\_ _/\_ (*) `- (*)

    Gary Mishler <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Joseph Goett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> A friend and I are doing the Wisconsin cross-state ride in June (GRABAAWR). I'm suggesting we do
    >> the "hotel/motel" thing, since our bodies are not exactly young. He wants to camp at the schools,
    >> because he heard bike camps were "wild and crazy" parties. I think he's mistaking RAGBRAI for
    >> GRABAAWR.
    >>
    >> Anybody been on both? Or can comment on the Wisconsin ride?
    >>
    >> Thx

    > You share a common misconception about RAGBRAI. Contrary to popular myth, the average age on
    > RAGBRAI is early 40's with lots of families and groups of friends. The hard partiers that get all
    > the publicity, and who are responsible for most of the "wild" stories, represent a very small
    > minority of the total riders.

    > I've never done GRABAAWR but I'm a veteran of four RAGBRAIs. My experience with the campgrounds
    > are that they are generally well behaved and tend to get quiet around 9:00 and stay that way
    > all night.

    > No could get away with a loud "wild and crazy" party in the campgrounds because it would never be
    > tolerated by the 97% of people who want to get a good night's sleep so they can have fun riding
    > the next day. The "wild and crazy" your friend has heard about is most likely the 2 - 5% of riders
    > who get carried away in the last stop before the campgrounds ("party town"), or in the bars of the
    > overnight towns.

    > People of all age camp for the week on RAGBRAI with no problem, it's part of the "experience".

  6. Karen M.

    Karen M. Guest

    Joseph wrote:
    > A friend and I are doing the Wisconsin cross-state ride in June (GRABAAWR). I'm suggesting we do
    > the "hotel/motel" thing, since our bodies are not exactly young. He wants to camp at the schools,
    > because he heard bike camps were "wild and crazy" parties. I think he's mistaking RAGBRAI for
    > GRABAAWR.
    >
    > Anybody been on both? Or can comment on the Wisconsin ride?

    Last time I was on RAGBRAI was 1990. Did GRABAAWR in '97. The weather on the latter was clear,
    somewhat crisp, sometimes damp and downright chilly, which I confess to preferring to blistering
    heat and no shade. Several times on RAGBRAI it seemed that various teams were holding an informal
    competition to be the most disgusting/vulgar. Team Hooter in almost-see-through bright orange
    shorts (these were guys; glad my young nieces weren't around). Another team with a phoenetic
    spelling written all over their sag vehicles. (What's the point, and why bother?) The first year
    I went on RAGBRAI (1979) some kids set up their tents near a streetlight in a park. Come
    nightfall, the light came on. The kids started throwing rocks (at a Lexan globe!) to try to break
    it and put out the light. Several of us chided them for it, and IIRC they ended up moving their
    tent. The last year I went on RAGBRAI some inconsiderate fools in a motor home parked near tent
    campers, and about 9 pm fired up their generator. Polite souls endured this for a while, then
    knocked on their door. "We have to have our A/C so we can sleep," explained the RVers. "But we
    can't sleep with your generator running!" explained the tenters. Tenters won. GRAB. has many
    fewer people, so the facilities aren't overwhelmed, and the Wisconsin River doesn't change its
    route too much so the host communities are used to the ride. Like other posters, I found the
    Wisconsin riders to be mature, polite, and quiet. HTH --Karen M.