Graeme Obree Story on TV (UK Only)

MountainPro

Aug 11, 2004
If you live in Scotland you'll be able to watch this programme. If you live in the rest of the UK and Ireland you'll be able to watch it on freeview and Sky. BBC Scotland @ 22:35 Tuesday 8th Feb.

A hell of a story and worth watching.

22:35 Graeme Obree: Full Cycle
Flying Scot Graeme Obree became one of the world's greatest and unlikeliest cycling champions, breaking records on a homemade bike made with parts of a washing machine. His fear of failure however, and ongoing battle with manic depression, led to three attempts at suicide. This programme charts the triumphs and traumas in Obree's turbulent career.

emulsionpaint said:
Thanks for the heads up! A truly fascinating story with elements of everything.
no problem, its amazing to see the mutual respect between Obree and Boardman after all these years...

We didn't get to see it here - BBC Northern Ireland had a program on about the
Northern Bank robbery instead.

Was it a good program ?

I always admired GO for his singlemindedness and his refusal to back down when his own federation did not support him.
What an achievement to do what he did, on nothing, no financial backing.

I read his book and I know he's had a tough time with depression.
I would have liked to have seen that prog.

limerickman said:
Was it a good program ?
it was a good program but only half an hour long so a lot of his early life was left out. The UCI seemed to have a personal vendetta against him because he wasnt part of the establisment. They banned both the tuck and superman positions just hours before the competition, he rode them anyway and snubbed the UCI which really made the UCI dislike him even more.

He still rides the countryside in Ayrshire and i have ridden with his club before but unfortunately he wasnt there at the time. He is involved with the Braveheart Cycling fund these days which takes a lot of his time...

http://www.braveheartfund.com/

the roadie guys on the ride says he can still beat them on his MTB...!

MountainPro said:
it was a good program but only half an hour long so a lot of his early life was left out. The UCI seemed to have a personal vendetta against him because he wasnt part of the establisment. They banned both the tuck and superman positions just hours before the competition, he rode them anyway and snubbed the UCI which really made the UCI dislike him even more.

He still rides the countryside in Ayrshire and i have ridden with his club before but unfortunately he wasnt there at the time. He is involved with the Braveheart Cycling fund these days which takes a lot of his time...

http://www.braveheartfund.com/

the roadie guys on the ride says he can still beat them on his MTB...!

He can beat them on his MTB !
Well,well - that doesn't surprise me.
He was a bloody good cyclist.