Graham Bufton

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tritonrider, Feb 21, 2003.

  1. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    Being here in the States, this is all I've seen on this. From cyclingnews.com

    Graham Bufton, a former British national junior road race champion, was knocked off his bicycle
    and killed yesterday (February 20) less than a mile from his home in a country lane just north
    of Telford.

    Bufton (62) rode for many years as a English based pro and ran a bike shop in Telford. He still
    trained regularly with the fastest training groups in the Shropshire area. He won three national
    veterans' cyclo cross championships and was at one time one of the youngest riders to compete in the
    Milk Race Tour of Britain

    It's a shame this has to keep happening. I know there was a thread about not going into the details
    of each accident, but this one is different I think. Any news would be appreciated, so I can pass it
    on to some of the other racers here. Bill C.

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, TritonRider <[email protected]> writes
    >Being here in the States, this is all I've seen on this. From cyclingnews.com
    >
    >Graham Bufton, a former British national junior road race champion, was knocked off his bicycle
    >and killed yesterday (February 20) less than a mile from his home in a country lane just north
    >of Telford.
    >
    >Bufton (62) rode for many years as a English based pro and ran a bike shop in Telford. He still
    >trained regularly with the fastest training groups in the Shropshire area. He won three national
    >veterans' cyclo cross championships and was at one time one of the youngest riders to compete in
    >the Milk Race Tour of Britain
    >
    >It's a shame this has to keep happening. I know there was a thread about not going into the details
    >of each accident, but this one is different I think. Any news would be appreciated, so I can pass
    >it on to some of the other racers here. Bill C.

    He was turning off the main road (A442) to go into Long Lane, Crudgington, where he lived. He was
    hit by a Peugeot 206 driven by a man in his late 20s. No details yet as to why.

    Interestingly, it's only last month that he was praised by the judge at Shrewsbury Crown Court for
    seeing off a man of 32 who was trying to steal the £700 takings from his cycle shop. The would-be
    robber is doing 3 years, 9 months. Be interesting to see how the Peugeot driver's sentence compares
    if it turns out to be his fault.

    --
    The Big Baguette

  3. In news:[email protected], The Big Baguette <[email protected]> typed:

    > He was turning off the main road (A442) to go into Long Lane, Crudgington, where he lived. He was
    > hit by a Peugeot 206 driven by a man in his late 20s. No details yet as to why.
    >
    > Interestingly, it's only last month that he was praised by the judge at Shrewsbury Crown Court for
    > seeing off a man of 32 who was trying to steal the £700 takings from his cycle shop. The would-be
    > robber is doing 3 years, 9 months. Be interesting to see how the Peugeot driver's sentence
    > compares if it turns out to be his fault.

    Even if it *is* a hazardous road junction I would think a former champion and bike shop owner
    *would* be a safe enough cyclist to avoid being knocked off just outside home, and all those *years*
    without accidents?

    Hmm. If I were in the CID for that area, I would be checking out *every* friend and associate of the
    Peugot driver for the last few months. Of course it *could* be *just* an unfortunate RTC (or a young
    lad lacking in driving skills) - but I wouldn't (until it every aspect has been checked out) rule
    out a *possible* link between the two incidents.

    Alex

  4. Damn. Sympathy to his family & friends.

    helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  5. Bonebardier

    Bonebardier New Member

    Joined:
    May 20, 2003
    My understanding of the circumstances of the accident are that Graham was turning right into Long Lane, the car behind him had actually stopped but the 206 driver overtook the stationary car at a junction, hitting Graham as he turned. Now this is only what I have heard, but I am from Telford and have heard this from someone who attended the accident only 5 minutes after it happened.

    Graham was a good man, often misunderstood by those who met him for the first time and he was the inspiration and insight into the world of road racing for me as a young 12 year old visiting his shop every day as I passed on my paper round. I cannot believe that a careless idiot has taken this man away from the world of cycling, which will be much the worse without his character and humour.

    Rest in peace Jockey......

  6. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    Bonebardier <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Graham was a good man, often misunderstood by those who met him for the first time and he was
    > the inspiration and insight into the world of road racing for me as a young 12 year old visiting
    > his shop every day as I passed on my paper round. I cannot believe that a careless idiot has
    > taken this man away from the world of cycling, which will be much the worse without his
    > character and humour.
    >
    > Rest in peace Jockey......

    Could have been any of us. Funny how often it seems to be the best of us.

    :-(

    --
    Dave...

  7. Druid

    Druid New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2003
    This is not an accurate description of the accident. Suggest you wait for the inquest for the facts before publishing hearsay about this very sad incident.

    Bonebardier writes:-

    "My understanding of the circumstances of the accident are that Graham was turning right into Long Lane, the car behind him had actually stopped but the 206 driver overtook the stationary car at a junction, hitting Graham as he turned. Now this is only what I have heard, but I am from Telford and have heard this from someone who attended the accident only 5 minutes after it happened.

    Graham was a good man, often misunderstood by those who met him for the first time and he was the inspiration and insight into the world of road racing for me as a young 12 year old visiting his shop every day as I passed on my paper round. I cannot believe that a careless idiot has taken this man away from the world of cycling, which will be much the worse without his character and humour"

  8. Druid

    Druid New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2003
    The inquest date has been set for October 2nd.

  9. Druid

    Druid New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2003
    Just goes to show how worng hearsay can be. Not the motorist at fault. This is still a tragic event with no positives to be taken from it.

    Report of the inquest can be found at http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/publish/article_5869.shtml

  10. Something I find "curious" for want of a better description in the article, it says, ""For for some
    unknown reason, I think that Mr Bufton must have misjudged either the speed of the van behind him or
    his own ability to cross the road without inconveniencing the traffic behind him or in fact
    endangering himself.""

    So.. am I wrong in thinking he was hit from behind by a vehicle when he was turning right? If so,
    what on earth was the vehicle behind doing overtaking a cyclist turning right.

    The reason this makes me wonder is yesterday I was cycling in Dereham. I was stationary at a red
    traffic light, at head of filter lane to turn right. I had my right arm stuck out just to make
    absolutely certain the car driver behind knew my intention - it was clear of traffic in oncoming
    lane. Lights changed to green - I set off - to be immediately overtaken (on the RH turn) by the car
    that had been immediately behind me at the red light. It could have been quite nasty.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h*$el***$$n*$d$ot$**s**i$$m*$m$**on**[email protected]*$$a**$*ol*$*.*$$c$om*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  11. "wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Something I find "curious" for want of a better description in the
    article, it
    > says, ""For for some unknown reason, I think that Mr Bufton must have
    misjudged
    > either the speed of the van behind him or his own ability to cross the
    road
    > without inconveniencing the traffic behind him or in fact endangering himself.""
    >
    > So.. am I wrong in thinking he was hit from behind by a vehicle when he
    was
    > turning right? If so, what on earth was the vehicle behind doing
    overtaking a
    > cyclist turning right.

    That's how it reads to me, and it seems he was also hit on the righthand side of the road - so in
    fact would have successfully completed the move in front of the van to make the turn, but for the
    driver pulling more right as he did. One assumes the driver didn't know he was turning right, and
    was instinctively pulling more right in response to the cyclist moving over to the right in order to
    continue overtaking.

    It may be difficult to make quick judgements where the closing speed may have been quite high, but
    one is bound to wonder why the driver felt his only option was to attempt to complete his overtaking
    manoeuvre on the wrong side of the road at a junction? Had he simply braked and continued straight
    ahead on his own half of the road instead of focusing on the overtaking manoeuvre the outcome could
    have been very different.

    Seems to me the driver got off lightly here, and his determination to overtake got in the way of
    thinking about why the cyclist might be pulling right and how best to avoid the accident. Easy to
    say with hindsight, but we all know it is a fact that many (if not most) drivers let their
    impatience and determination to overtake cyclists at almost any cost (often only to join the back
    of the next queue) is the cause of many an accident or near miss. It seems that this is what
    happened here.

    Rich

  12. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 13:42:25 GMT someone who may be "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]>
    wrote this:-

    >One assumes the driver didn't know he was turning right,

    I think the fact that a cyclist is on the right hand side of the lane, presumably looking over their
    shoulder is a fairly obvious signal.

    Unless he was trying to turn right from the left hand side of the lane, which I doubt. If this was
    the case this demonstrates how dangerous such a manoeuvre is, despite it being encouraged by many
    officials and road "safety" organisations.

    >Seems to me the driver got off lightly here, and his determination to overtake got in the way of
    >thinking about why the cyclist might be pulling right and how best to avoid the accident.

    Agreed.

    >>Telford & Wrekin coroner Michael Gwynne said: "For for some unknown reason, I think that Mr Bufton
    >>must have misjudged either the speed of the van behind him

    Quite possible.

    >>or his own ability to cross the road without inconveniencing the traffic behind him or in fact
    >>endangering himself."

    This shows the stupidity that coroners often display.

    >>The driver of the van, office supervisor David Owen, from Nantwich, did not give evidence,

    Fascinating.

    The following would also fit the facts that have been given.

    1) Cyclist slows down ready to turn right and moves to correct part of road.

    2) Motorist thinks, I must overtake that cyclist.

    3) Cyclist sees motorist and knows that he can turn into the lane in plenty of time while motorist
    continues along the lane cyclist is currently in the right of.

    4) Cyclist turns right at much the same time as motorist pulls into wrong lane.

    I note that it is claimed that the cyclist collided with the motorist's van.