Graham Watson shop: Vintage posters

Mathias Koerber

Guest
Has anyone taken a look at the Vintage Posters on Graham
Watsons's shop page (pictures not taken by GW).

Is it just me or are some of the vintage posters available
misprints? In most of them, the text is misspelt in some
way or other:

In detail:

Smokers:¨Tour of the '20s - Vervaeke and Gedhold smoked tthe
cigarette¨

(note the text on the page itself also has typoes,
but here the poster itself seems to have ¨tthe¨
instead of ¨the¨)

Sailing: ¨Four of the '30s - Racing by the sailboats at
Carassonne¨

s/Four/Tour/ surely And is it not:
s/Carassonne/Carcassonne/ ?

The text below the picture even says Concarneau :-(

Drinkers same /Four/Tour/ error
t/reminescent/reminiscent/ ?

Long Road: s/Four/Tour/

Mathias

On Sun, 16 May 2004 16:09:03 +0800, Mathias Koerber wrote:

> Has anyone taken a look at the Vintage Posters on Graham
> Watsons's shop page (pictures not taken by GW).

Oops. missed the URL:
<http://grahamwatson.safeshopper.com/89/cat89.htm?614>

or via www.grahamwatson.com, then 'gw store', ¨posters¨,
¨vintage posters¨

> Mathias

"Mathias Koerber" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Has anyone taken a look at the Vintage Posters on Graham
> Watsons's shop page (pictures not taken by GW).
>
> Is it just me or are some of the vintage posters available
> misprints? In most of them, the text is misspelt in some
> way or other:
>
> In detail:
>
> Smokers:¨Tour of the '20s - Vervaeke and Gedhold smoked
> tthe cigarette¨
>
> (note the text on the page itself also has typoes,
> but here the poster itself seems to have ¨tthe¨
> instead of ¨the¨)
>
> Sailing: ¨Four of the '30s - Racing by the sailboats at
> Carassonne¨
>
> s/Four/Tour/ surely And is it not:
> s/Carassonne/Carcassonne/ ?
>
> The text below the picture even says Concarneau :-(
>
> Drinkers same /Four/Tour/ error
> s/reminescent/reminiscent/ ?
>
> Long Road: s/Four/Tour/
>
> Mathias

I'd say that that the F in four is actually a stylized T. If
you look at the Breaktime picture you can see that the F and
T do look slightly different. However there do seem to be
other mistakes such as the spelling of Intinmate in the
Smokers picture. Maybe the posters are exact replicas of
posters made by a Frenchman for an English market and the
grammer she is not so correct, Oui?

Marty

On Sun, 16 May 2004 18:15:21 +0800, Marty Wallace wrote:

> I'd say that that the F in four is actually a stylized T.
> If you look at

No, the stylized T actually does look different (the swing
on the left curls up to the left of the stem, rather than
crossing it to form an F, as can be seen on the Long Road in
the work 'The')

> However there do seem to be other mistakes such as the
> spelling of Intinmate in the Smokers picture. Maybe the
> posters are exact replicas

Didn't even see that.

> of posters made by a Frenchman for an English market and
> the grammer she is not so correct, Oui?

So does that mean Carassonne is correct rather than
Carcassonne (a mistake a French printer would likely not
have made)? I rather believe these are sloppily made
prints. A shame actually as the pictures are quite nice,
especially the Long Road ahead one and the Sailing boat
one.. And they don't look like the mistakes will ever make
them valuable either..

Mathias Koerber wrote:
> On Sun, 16 May 2004 18:15:21 +0800, Marty Wallace wrote:
>

>> I'd say that that the F in four is actually a stylized T.
>> If you look at
>
> No, the stylized T actually does look different (the swing
> on the left curls up to the left of the stem, rather than
> crossing it to form an F, as can be seen on the Long Road
> in the work 'The')
>
>> However there do seem to be other mistakes such as the
>> spelling of Intinmate in the Smokers picture. Maybe the
>> posters are exact replicas
>
> Didn't even see that.
>
>> of posters made by a Frenchman for an English market and
>> the grammer she is not so correct, Oui?
>
> So does that mean Carassonne is correct rather than
> Carcassonne (a mistake a French printer would likely not
> have made)? I rather believe these are sloppily made
> prints. A shame actually as the pictures are quite nice,
> especially the Long Road ahead one and the Sailing boat
> one.. And they don't look like the mistakes will ever make
> them valuable either..

Some mapmakers include intentional errors on their maps to
detect illegal infringement.

On Sun, 16 May 2004 14:18:35 +0200, Robert Chung wrote:
>Some mapmakers include intentional errors on their maps to
>detect illegal infringement.

Yes. But not in the spelling of capital cities.

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> On Sun, 16 May 2004 14:18:35 +0200, Robert Chung wrote:
>> Some mapmakers include intentional errors on their maps
>> to detect illegal infringement.
>
> Yes. But not in the spelling of capital cities.

It hasn't been established that the misspellings exist on
the actual posters rather than on the easily infringeable
web images.

On Sun, 16 May 2004 19:25:46 +0200, Robert Chung wrote:
>It hasn't been established that the misspellings exist on
>the actual posters rather than on the easily infringeable
>web images.

Ah OK.

Mathias Koerber wrote:
> Has anyone taken a look at the Vintage Posters on Graham
> Watsons's shop page (pictures not taken by GW).

Yup. I love that 'Smokers' print. One of my most favorite
bicycle pics of all time.

If it bothers you, just have a frame shop make a mat
that covers the words, and enjoy the picture by itself.
No worries.

Regards,
H.