Grand Island, NE Celebrates NBG and Mighty Jim after all!

Cycle America/N

Guest
This just in from Jim Muellner, here we see the size of one very Giant Man's will. Indeed an
extremely well connected and well liked individual, Jim was not going to let a bike shop that was
too busy keep Nebraska from being represented in our Mayors' Ride schedule. Especially not after we
had rerouted from Omaha, last year's Nebraska proclamation city, to then build our west bound route
around Grand Island. Despite the fact that we could have added cities in Missouri and Kansas, where
we would have picked up two new states when we left Des Moines, it sounds like Jim made Nebraska
worth our while after all!!

What's all this saying? People everywhere want the National Bicycle Greenway! Even in the middle of
America's heartland. And even if their bike businesses are too busy to market effective
infrastructure for cycling, people everywhere know in their hearts that making it easier for people
to ride a bike is the right thing to do!!

Good morning you wonderful people:

When you lest expect it everything turns up roses. Last night I stopped at the Dairy Queen in
Columbus for a small blizzard. As soon as I sat down a fellow came over and said, "Saw you this
morning 50 miles back", before he continued with the usual questions, "Where you heading" and etc.
Then he invited me to the double header between Columbus and Schuyler at Pawnee Park right across
the street, where he said I could also camp. I did not last to get the final, but I was impressed
with the players, they looked professional, scouts take note.

Pawnee Park is unique. It has stories of the folks who settled and fought here. They also have a
collection of church bells that ring every 15 minutes. They weigh from 500 lbs to 2300 lbs. That
helped me decide to look for a more remote camp site.

They also have a new memorial to the World War II veterans, with a landing barge and a half dozen
soldiers, very impressive. The train engine on display even has lights that go on. As I was shopping
for the best site, I spotted a rose arbor that would have been fun to sleep under. But when I saw
the little porch next to the swimming pool I opted for that. As I set up my gear, out of sight, a
couple of local kids, who must have used it as their play area rode through and I scared the devil
out of them. They came back a couple times to hassle
me. I really just wanted to talk to them, but they must have been frightened.

Slept well and never even heard the final cheers for the games.

This morning Officer Bryan Heusinkvelt, on his bike, escorted me 15 miles out of town and shared
some interesting facts about himself. He is married and has 4 children, the oldest is 11. His wife
is a homemaker, which he really likes. He works for the Columbus Neb. police dept where he switches
between bike and car patrolling. He said the bike patrolling was very effective. He also does some
triathlon events. It was wonderful to have his company. He pushed me a little to 13 or 14 mph, where
he often goes 18 mph average. It was fun.

I needed breakfast and as I cycled into Silver Springs lo and behold there was K.J.'s Cafe on Vine
St. What a great find and breakfast.

The sun is shining, the wind is less, life is good.

I am only 35 miles out from Grand Island, so thanks to my wonderful, smart and resourceful
connections I will have a proclamation from the Mayor to pick up. What more could I want?

Just stopped in Central City and a woman suggested I wait a minute so she could ask the press to
come down and interview me. Can you believe it? Three interviews the last week! What is there about
the Midwest? Well maybe they are craving for some news. Even an old biker is news. And yet there
again, bikers don't get old they just pedal away.

Now the clincher, as I biked into Grand Island, two reporters, one from Channel 5 and one from the
newspaper are there to take shots as I cycle to the front door of city hall. They even wired me for
sound while they interviewed me. It was one of the most thorough interviews I have had.

Then Renee Edwards, the City Clerk and Steve Paustian, Head of Parks And Recreation presented me
with the Proclamation from Mayor Jay Vavricek.

The whole event was filmed by Channel 5.

It was exciting.

Now I am going to enjoy a great meal and for desert bike another 20 or 30 miles.

It has been a wonderful exciting day. I don't know if I can handle all the personal appearances
and pressure.

Love to all, Jim

------------------------------
Local access to PocketMail mobile e-mail now available in Europe, North America & Australia
http://www.pocketmail.com

If you want to start from the beginning and/or follow Jim our other NBG relay riders as they move
forward in the National Mayors' Ride at <http://www.bikeroute.com/NationalMayorsRide>, point to
their blog at <http://www.nationalbicyclegreenway.com/Events/Mayors_Ride/reports.php>. All of this
excitement will al be consummated at the second annual Santa Cruz NBG Bike Fest
<http://www.nationalbicyclegreenway.com/Events/Festival>:

btw: If you want to become a rider, we N E E D you!! Go to
<http://NationalBicycleGreenway.com/Events/Mayors_Ride/getstarted.php>, to find out how!! btw2: We
have pictures from the various ride legs on line at
http://www.nationalbicyclegreenway.com/gallery/2003Mayors btw3: If you want to see who these
cyclists are, go to <http://www.nationalbicyclegreenway.com/Events/Mayors_Ride/bios>.

MARTIN KRIEG: "Awake Again" Author c/o BikeRoute.com 79 & 86 TransAms, nonprofit Nat. Bicycle
Greenway CEO Ever wanted anything so bad U were willing to die for it? Really die? By moving thru
clinical death and reversing paralysis, *I saw God* when I answered that question.

Every year for the past 12 years or so a group of us have done a Centurey from DuBois to Lock Haven
Pennsylvania. The ride is relatively level on little used roads with a hilly option that features a
10 mile down hill. The ride is fully supported. This year the ride is on October 4, 2003 and we go
to Dubois on Friday, ride on Saturday. It is possible to meet us on Saturday morning. Usually we
have about 20 to 25 people.We pick this time of the year because of the change of seasons. Over the
years I have seen Elk, bear and numerous deer.This area is one of the most beautiful and little
traveled in Pennsylvania. If anyone is interested in going with us e-mail me or at
[email protected] or Jack Berkovitz at [email protected].

Robert Daniels [email protected]

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 22:07:30 -0400, R. Daniels <[email protected]> wrote:

>Every year for the past 12 years or so a group of us have done a Centurey from DuBois to Lock Haven
>Pennsylvania. The ride is relatively level on little used roads with a hilly option that features a
>10 mile down hill. The ride is fully supported. This year the ride is on October 4, 2003 and we go
>to Dubois on Friday, ride on Saturday. It is possible to meet us on Saturday morning. Usually we
>have about 20 to 25 people.We pick this time of the year because of the change of seasons. Over the
>years I have seen Elk, bear and numerous deer.This area is one of the most beautiful and little
>traveled in Pennsylvania. If anyone is interested in going with us e-mail me or at
>[email protected] or Jack Berkovitz at [email protected].
>
>Robert Daniels [email protected]

Am I reading this correctly? Where in PA is there a downhill run that continues for 10 miles? That
would be worth the drive up there! Of course, the 10 mile uphill climb would be a *****.

Try route 6, the Grand Avenue of the Republic Highway, along Ninemile Run which joins Pine Creek,
starting 40 miles west of Wellsboro. The first 35 miles are downhill. Or you could go west from that
crest, which is downhill all the way to Port Allegheny, along the Allegheny River.

-Bruce