Grand Junction

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bret Wade, May 19, 2003.

  1. Bret Wade

    Bret Wade Guest

    JTN wrote:

    > a buddy of mine was in there with you. he said it was not his cup of tea. he didn't like all the
    > conversation. so he turned around and went back. I just laughed and told him that's part of road
    > racing. coming from mountain bike racing he thinks if your not balls out for 4 hours of a 4 hour
    > race then its not racing......

    It does take that race a long time to get going but your friend would have got his money's worth in
    the end. Usually, nobody does anything until after the turn around but this year there was a long
    early breakaway. It probablly happened right after he bailed. There was a lot of friendly
    conversation up until that point, but I can't see why that would offend anyone. Why didn't he just
    attack himself if he thought it was too easy?

    Bret

    Tags:

  2. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    that's what I always tell him. if you think its too easy, then make it harder.....he mentioned he
    attacked once and the group pulled him back and slowed again. he is actually a phenomenal climber
    and does well in mtb racing but he cant seem to get or want to get the tactic thing down necessary
    in road racing. he is one of those that if he would then watch out. I just get a laugh out of it. he
    said he turned around at mile 27. must be just before the descent into gateway. anyway, good job.

    "Bret Wade" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > JTN wrote: It does take that race a long time to get going but your friend would have got his
    > money's worth in the end. Usually, nobody does anything until after the turn around but this year
    > there was a long early breakaway. It probablly happened right after he bailed. There was a lot of
    > friendly conversation up until that point, but I can't see why that would offend anyone. Why
    > didn't he just attack himself if he thought it was too easy?
    >
    > Bret

  3. Bret Wade

    Bret Wade Guest

    JTN wrote:
    > that's what I always tell him. if you think its too easy, then make it harder.....he mentioned he
    > attacked once and the group pulled him back and slowed again. he is actually a phenomenal climber
    > and does well in mtb racing but he cant seem to get or want to get the tactic thing down
    > necessary in road racing. he is one of those that if he would then watch out. I just get a laugh
    > out of it. he said he turned around at mile 27. must be just before the descent into gateway.
    > anyway, good job.

    It sounds to me like the break was gone before he turned around. Maybe he was confused by how slowly
    the chase formed. Only one strong team missed the break and they didn't get very organised. Is yor
    friend's name Sean McCourt? Someone by that name posted to the ACA forum predicting their own
    victory at GJ.

    Bret

  4. Jtn

    Jtn Guest

    no. not him. we all decided to award him the golden tampon award for his performance though. you
    will see it in the rocky mtn news next to the Armstrong award....