Grandmother who hit cyclists loses licence

Baka Dasai wrote:
> Zebee Johnstone said

>> You will require someone to throw away all their lives so they can
>> live in a shoebox? How big a place do you live in now? How long
>> will it take to grow a generation who *can* live in those conditions,
>> without stress levels? Or perhaps how long to generate a culture
>> that will not take those stresses out in dangerous ways?

> Trapped between the pincers of oil depletion and climate change I
> don't think people have much of a choice. I think it's sensible to
> get a head start on the changes that need to be made.

I don't think it's sensible to live in a shoe-box. Here I am with an
increased eco footprint because of where I live, but my 20,000 metres has
enough trees on it to balance out a small apartment block, and we've planted
another 250 or so since we got there.

Those trees wouldn't be there but for us, and all our neighbours have
planted enough trees to pretty much block most of the view. I can't see my
front gate from the verandah anymore.

Theo

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 18 Dec 2007 05:09:49 -0000
Baka Dasai <[email protected]> wrote:

> Trapped between the pincers of oil depletion and climate change I don't
> think people have much of a choice. I think it's sensible to get a
> head start on the changes that need to be made.

hard to know. I think that there is due to be a lot of money on
personal transport that can manage without oil.... Or on oil
substitutes.

because to go back to 1900s cities without power and transport
requires 1900s population levels and standards of living.

Zebee

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 21:27:38 -0800 (PST), brucef said (and I quote):
> On Dec 18, 2:03 pm, Baka Dasai <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Inner-city Perth sounds a bit like the Sydney CBD about 25
>> years ago, but now it's crammed with apartments and the streets
>> are filled with people night and day, with plenty of supermarkets, bars,
>> nightclubs, and gyms.

> There are actually heaps of apartments in inner-city Perth these days,
> but they are horribly expensive. I think the sort of people who own
> these million-dollar properties do so to be close to their work, but
> recreate elsewhere. I don't know where they go actually, but they
> certainly can't be seen in the CBD on a Sunday...

Yep, when apartments first became popular in the Sydney CBD it was
exactly those sort of people that lived there. Now the apartments
seem to be more commonly filled with students, and I mean filled -
anywhere between 4 and 10 of them sharing a 2-bedroom apartment.
Makes the rent affordable, and makes the CBD quite an interesting
place these days.
--
What was I thinking?

On 18 Dec 2007 05:31:07 GMT, Zebee Johnstone said (and I quote):

> because to go back to 1900s cities without power and transport
> requires 1900s population levels and standards of living.

I think that's a bit of a straw man. There will still be power and
transport. There's enough coal and uranium and wind and solar etc to
have power stations running, although that power might be more
expensive than it is now. But the lack of oil will make car
travel difficult and/or exceedingly expensive. Living standards might
fall, but probably not back to the level of 1900.

But that's all a helluva lot of speculation, and not too much about
bicycling except that bicycling can only help the situation. And the
original point? I think it was to move away from the assumption that
driving was an essential part of modern living, which if removed could
result in social, and actual, death.
--
What was I thinking?

"cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Zebee Johnstone Wrote:
>> In aus.bicycle on Mon, 17 Dec 2007 21:10:44 +1100
>> Tomasso <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > "Lose your licence" should mean that you can establish that you are

>> no longer such a risk...
>>
>> How do you prove a negative?

> Obviously brucef has been proved correct.

Obviously.

Zebee is, apart from being a Theo synchophant, an extreme preservationist of her own wanky and specious image...

Grandmama who crashes through a pack of cyclists should be off the road. If she wants to get back on the road she should prove
competence.

Proof of competence is a concept beyond Zebee.

For obvious reasons.

T.

Hi

>Back to my example of Tokyo - one of the main features of ads
>for apartments there is the "minutes to station", which is measured to

so, where did you live dude?

See Ya
(when bandwidth gets better ;-)

Chris Eastwood
Photographer, Programmer
Motorcyclist and dingbat

please remove undies for reply

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 18 Dec 2007 06:42:10 -0000
Baka Dasai <[email protected]> wrote:

> But that's all a helluva lot of speculation, and not too much about
> bicycling except that bicycling can only help the situation. And the
> original point? I think it was to move away from the assumption that
> driving was an essential part of modern living, which if removed could
> result in social, and actual, death.

I think it is a part of living *now*

And that changing that will take a lot of time, be very difficult, and
will cause a deal of pain.

Quite likely to those who reckon they are immune.

IT might not cause enough pain to those who believe other people
should be punished of course.

Zebee

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:30:31 +1100
Tomasso <[email protected]> wrote:

> Zebee is, apart from being a Theo synchophant, an extreme preservationist of her own wanky and specious image...

Hehehe

By the way, the word you want is, I think, sycophant. I don't sync
with Theo, our Norges are quite different.

Zebee

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 08:31:01 GMT, Obakesan said (and I quote):

> so, where did you live dude?

Nishinasuno-machi, Tochigi-ken, 150 km north of Tokyo.
--
What was I thinking?

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
>On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 08:31:01 GMT, Obakesan said (and I quote):
>>
>> so, where did you live dude?

>Nishinasuno-machi, Tochigi-ken, 150 km north of Tokyo.

I lived in Bunkyo-ku (http://www2.gol.com/users/cjeastwd/myplace.htm)

I moved out in 2003, but already rents were going up, old homes torn down and
the old town was changing into 'highrise'. Given the differences between Japan
and Australia I can't really see the same thing happening at home as there.

Next thing is that cost of living there is getting too high for most oldies
too. The ones that live there often are loath to move, but you'll not see many
new ones moving in. So this leaves them with the same plight as Australian
oldies. So even with 130 Million living in that little island their access to
services without transport (or living in expensive areas) is low too.

I have to agree with Zeebee (having just been looking after my own aging
mum) that if you're lucky to live where there's services fine, but I
wouldn't want to be living in Browns Plains or Ipswich as an oldie.

I now live in Finland, and how my partners grandparents will make it 3km into
town on icy roads when he looses his licence is something we're all scratching
our heads over.

Finland (as it happens) is a way more bicycle aware / friendly contry than is
Oz

life's different when you grew up 80 years ago and are frail now.

On 2007-12-18, Theo Bekkers (aka Bruce)
> Those trees wouldn't be there but for us, and all our neighbours have
> planted enough trees to pretty much block most of the view. I can't see my
> front gate from the verandah anymore.

More often than not, they would be there but for your predecessors.
People around here think they are managing the environment when they
cut a few trees down to lower the fuel loadings. They despair at the
National Parks replacing the trees cut down for farming 150 years ago
in what is now the national park ("it could be productive farming
land, and instead it's now just going to burn down!").

Neglecting the fact that it went just fine when the Pilliga was but a
small part of a forest stretching all of the way to Qld.

Reminds me of the storm we had a few days ago. Council were on the
observatory road patching up the road after a landslide. Caused by
them removing trees from the side of the road 6 months ago.

--
TimC
"I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a

On 2007-12-18, brucef (aka Bruce)
> On Dec 18, 12:10 pm, Baka Dasai <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Anybody can afford to live in the inner-city.

> I don't know where you live, but here in Perth inner-city is some kind
> of desolation. Nowhere to do your grocery shopping, very limited
> social facilities, and almost devoid of people outside of business
> hours. Inner Fremantle might be a better bet, if you are wealthy and
> aren't worried about violent crime. The best solution is not to live
> in the inner city, but on a major public transport artery. Generally
> expensive of course...

I think his point is it wouldn't be if you bought a typical block of
land for going rates on the market, and were able to subdivide it to
a more reasonable density.

--
TimC
If you tried to understand this, you'd be very confused, in the standard

On 2007-12-18, Zebee Johnstone (aka Bruce)
> Now, if everyone in aus.bicycle who reckons older people should live
> in a shoebox and never go anywhere is willing to do the same....

I live in a shoebox. With Australian standards of insulation. Ie,
when it's 30 degrees outside, it's 33 degrees inside. Bah.

I really should fix that, but I am too lazy.

--
TimC

"Zebee Johnstone" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In aus.bicycle on Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:30:31 +1100
> Tomasso <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Zebee is, apart from being a Theo synchophant, an extreme preservationist of her own wanky and specious image...

> Hehehe
>

> By the way, the word you want is, I think, sycophant. I don't sync
> with Theo, our Norges are quite different.
>
> Zebee

Synchophant is a neologism which describes the relationship better. It captures the synching and the sycophanting.

T.

TimC wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote

>> Those trees wouldn't be there but for us, and all our neighbours have
>> planted enough trees to pretty much block most of the view. I can't
>> see my front gate from the verandah anymore.

> More often than not, they would be there but for your predecessors.
> People around here think they are managing the environment when they
> cut a few trees down to lower the fuel loadings. They despair at the
> National Parks replacing the trees cut down for farming 150 years ago
> in what is now the national park ("it could be productive farming
> land, and instead it's now just going to burn down!").

Agreed. Southern WA was a forest from the ocean to the Nullabor plain less
than 200 years ago.

Theo

TimC wrote:

> Neglecting the fact that it went just fine when the Pilliga was but a
> small part of a forest stretching all of the way to Qld.

Drool, that reaches you. Wonderful country. I can recommend a reading of
Eric Rolls, A Million Wild Acres, if you want a good history, 1788+, of
the Pilliga.

Terryc wrote:
> TimC wrote:
>
>> Neglecting the fact that it went just fine when the Pilliga was but a
>> small part of a forest stretching all of the way to Qld.

> Drool, that reaches you.

Erk, have to stop talking to missues whilst typing. Was supposed to b
"that is great country"

Terryc wrote:

> Erk, have to stop talking to missues whilst typing.

M-issues? I hope she didn't read that. :)

Theo

On Dec 18, 3:26 pm, Baka Dasai <[email protected]> wrote:
> Yep, when apartments first became popular in the Sydney CBD it was
> exactly those sort of people that lived there. Now the apartments
> seem to be more commonly filled with students, and I mean filled -
> anywhere between 4 and 10 of them sharing a 2-bedroom apartment.
> Makes the rent affordable, and makes the CBD quite an interesting
> place these days.

Thankyou, but I think I will pass on your utopia. Sounds like a waking
nightmare. Small is fine, but I value my privacy.

I lived in in Sydney for 7 years in the 90's and I didn't notice any
particular vitality to the CBD at the time, I guess this must be a
recent thing. Can't think what the attraction of the CBD would be when
there are so many more services available in the inner suburbs, like
Newtown, Ultimo or the Glebe. Including universities... In my 7 years
I lived in the Glebe, Lilyfield, Birchgrove and Summer Hill. I think
Glebe and Birchgrove would have to be a tie for fabulous places to
live. God I wish I had bought property at the time. Anything,
anywhere.

On Dec 19, 2:02 am, TimC <[email protected]
astro.swin.edu.au> wrote:
> On 2007-12-18, brucef (aka Bruce)

aka?

> > On Dec 18, 12:10 pm, Baka Dasai <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Anybody can afford to live in the inner-city

> > The best solution is not to live
> > in the inner city, but on a major public transport artery. Generally
> > expensive of course...

> I think his point is it wouldn't be if you bought a typical block of
> land for going rates on the market, and were able to subdivide it to
> a more reasonable density.

No, he said anyone can afford to live in the inner city.These areas
are already at a very tight density. A older 40sqm cockroach-ridden
flat in the CBD costs more than a 4bed house in the outer suburbs. The
statement seems bizarre - how inner city property could ever be more
affordable than similar accommodations in the middle suburbs, which
have better services anyway, is a mystery to me.