Grandmother who hit cyclists loses licence

brucef wrote:

> No, he said anyone can afford to live in the inner city.These areas
> are already at a very tight density. A older 40sqm cockroach-ridden
> flat in the CBD costs more than a 4bed house in the outer suburbs. The
> statement seems bizarre - how inner city property could ever be more
> affordable than similar accommodations in the middle suburbs, which
> have better services anyway, is a mystery to me.

Me too. Inner city living is surely an oxymoron.

Theo

Tomasso wrote:

> Zebee is, apart from being a Theo synchophant, an extreme
> preservationist of her own wanky and specious image...

Hehe, you should meet her mother. Be careful, she subscribes to various
newsgroups, and also rides a motorcycle. :)

> Grandmama who crashes through a pack of cyclists should be off the
> road. If she wants to get back on the road she should prove
> competence.

Absolutely agree.

> Proof of competence is a concept beyond Zebee.

Have you proved your competence today? How do we know you're competent if
you haven't hit anyone lately.

> For obvious reasons.

Huh?

Theo

"Theo Bekkers" wrote:

> Would it be OK with you if I see how fast my motorcycle can go if a) the
> road is in a deserted region and b) there are no cyclists in the way and
> c) I hide my seniors card.

Hmmm, not sure which thread on speeding cyclists you were referring to, but
generally cycling at speed will be on mountain descents ie. open road. The
speed limit is usually 100kmh. A cyclist might hit 80-90 kmh. This is still
legal, don't know how you class them as hoons.

A motorbike taken to speed will definitely be breaking the speed limit, so
your comment is pretty specious really. The grandma broke several laws, in a
built-up area it seems. Cyclists riding within the law, but fast as a car,
downhill, might seem irresponsible to Joe Bloggs in his hot Commodore. But
that's simply ignorance talking.
--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

On 2007-12-19, PeteSig (aka Bruce)

> "Theo Bekkers" wrote:
>
>> Would it be OK with you if I see how fast my motorcycle can go if a) the
>> road is in a deserted region and b) there are no cyclists in the way and
>> c) I hide my seniors card.

> Hmmm, not sure which thread on speeding cyclists you were referring to, but
> generally cycling at speed will be on mountain descents ie. open road. The
> speed limit is usually 100kmh. A cyclist might hit 80-90 kmh. This is still
> legal, don't know how you class them as hoons.
>
> A motorbike taken to speed will definitely be breaking the speed limit, so
> your comment is pretty specious really. The grandma broke several laws, in a
> built-up area it seems. Cyclists riding within the law, but fast as a car,
> downhill, might seem irresponsible to Joe Bloggs in his hot Commodore. But
> that's simply ignorance talking.

Even overtaking said commodore (in a responsible manner) isn't
necessarily going to be breaking the speeding laws. 2 wheels can
handle twists and turns much better than a 2 tonne 4 wheeled behemoth.

--
TimC
Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons -- Simpsons

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:23:43 GMT
TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
> Even overtaking said commodore (in a responsible manner) isn't
> necessarily going to be breaking the speeding laws. 2 wheels can
> handle twists and turns much better than a 2 tonne 4 wheeled behemoth.

until, of course, there's a problem with the road surface.

Your average 4 wheeled behemoth doesn't give a damn about gravel or
smallish potholes, or road filler.

Zebee

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:38:24 +0900, Theo Bekkers wrote:

> Have you proved your competence today? How do we know you're competent if
> you haven't hit anyone lately.

You should have seen how close I came to a cyclist in my SS ute today. He
must have crapped his poofy pants, I was so skilful.

--
Dave Hughes - [email protected]
You're a classic example of that inverse

Theo Bekkers said:
Hehe, you should meet her mother. Be careful, she subscribes to various
newsgroups, and also rides a motorcycle.

That's a slender grasp on reality on public display. Get a room, make sure to invite the missus too, should be positively cosy over there in alt.aus.cars.chode. Less clutter for everyone else to deal with too. :)

On 2007-12-19, Dave Hughes (aka Bruce)
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:38:24 +0900, Theo Bekkers wrote:
>
>> Have you proved your competence today? How do we know you're competent if
>> you haven't hit anyone lately.

> You should have seen how close I came to a cyclist in my SS ute today. He
> must have crapped his poofy pants, I was so skilful.

Single speed ute? Damned utility bike zealots :)

--
TimC
It's funny, isn't it? All this antiterrorist legislation makes ordinary

Dave Hughes wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote:
>
>> Have you proved your competence today? How do we know you're
>> competent if you haven't hit anyone lately.

> You should have seen how close I came to a cyclist in my SS ute
> today. He must have crapped his poofy pants, I was so skilful.

Hehe. We're getting a new SS ute today or tomorrow.

Theo

On Dec 20, 9:46 am, "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dave Hughes wrote:
> > Theo Bekkers wrote:

> >> Have you proved your competence today? How do we know you're
> >> competent if you haven't hit anyone lately.

> > You should have seen how close I came to a cyclist in my SS ute
> > today. He must have crapped his poofy pants, I was so skilful.

> Hehe. We're getting a new SS ute today or tomorrow.

A fool and their money...

"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dave Hughes wrote:
>> Theo Bekkers wrote:
>>
>>> Have you proved your competence today? How do we know you're
>>> competent if you haven't hit anyone lately.

>> You should have seen how close I came to a cyclist in my SS ute
>> today. He must have crapped his poofy pants, I was so skilful.

> Hehe. We're getting a new SS ute today or tomorrow.
>
> Theo

I do have to ask why...was it the bad fuel economy or reduced load carrying
ability you found most appealing?

Resound wrote:
> "Theo Bekkers wrote

>> Hehe. We're getting a new SS ute today or tomorrow.

> I do have to ask why...was it the bad fuel economy or reduced load
> carrying ability you found most appealing?

It's a company car, replacing a 4-5 yo Holden Storm ute, and the most
appealing thing about it is that it doesn't attract FBT. I'm probably never
going to drive it. I personally also have a company car of my choice, a 4
yo 4 cyl manual Ford Courier ute.

Theo

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:30:31 +1100
> Tomasso <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Zebee is, apart from being a Theo synchophant, an extreme preservationist of her own wanky and specious image...

> Hehehe
>

> By the way, the word you want is, I think, sycophant. I don't sync
> with Theo, our Norges are quite different.
>
> Zebee

Indeed this is true... Theo is much more like me (although still not
very much :) [1]

G-S

[1] Well he's male and owns a Guzzi... [2]

[2] That's 2 things we have in common [3]

[3] Our guzzi's have much less in common (might be something to do with
mine not being a Norge!) [4]

[4] But a Norge is still on the 'possible' list [5]

[5] You already have 3 guzzi riding... cycling... guzzisti in the news
group... would you like more? :)

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> Resound wrote:
>> "Theo Bekkers wrote

>>> Hehe. We're getting a new SS ute today or tomorrow.

>> I do have to ask why...was it the bad fuel economy or reduced load
>> carrying ability you found most appealing?

> It's a company car, replacing a 4-5 yo Holden Storm ute, and the most
> appealing thing about it is that it doesn't attract FBT. I'm probably never
> going to drive it. I personally also have a company car of my choice, a 4
> yo 4 cyl manual Ford Courier ute.
>
> Theo

It continues to astound me how sensible you can be all the way up there
in your ivory tower!

*looks out the front at his (2004 red 4x4 4 cylinder turbo-diesel) work ute*

G-S

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> If you make a mistake due to an error in
> your risk calculation, should all your property be sold to compensate an
> injured party, even if you have insurance specifically for such an event
> happening?

I have to say... I am not now, nor have I ever been a fan of the
'no-fault' insurance system.

So no I don't believe all property should be sold (as long as the
insurance is paid up to date), but a reasonable 'excess' and or
'ratings' system isn't too much to ask I would have thought!

Something that says "you've been busted for 0.05 twice and you're a
higher risk and deserve a higher premium" or "you ran a group of
cyclists over and deserve max premium" (this in addition to any relevant
court action, not instead of I might add).

G-S

Theo Bekkers wrote:
> Baka Dasai wrote:
>
>> Transport infrastructure is always built before housing - it's just a
>> question of which form of transport infrastucture. In fact I'd say
>> that the transport infrastucture determines the sort of housing that
>> is subsequently built.

> Really, I live in a semi-rural estate of 600 x 2-hectare blocks, most of
> which now have houses on them. The "Transport Infrastructure" is a 5 metre
> wide strip of bitumen. We do have a school bus for the kids. No vehicle, you
> can't live there.

There is a middle ground between your 2 extremes :)

I live in a suburb of a smallish country town (8000) and there are 5 bus
services daily from here to the local train station and back (which is
5kms... so easy cycling distance and do-able for walking if fit).

That applies to every hamlet or town in the shire.

That station has 1 hourly trains running both to the CBD (Melbourne
1:15) and Bendigo (20m).

School buses cover every major road in the shire and are seperate.

Is W.A really that bad for rural town transport Theo or is it just your
area?

G-S

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

> I am unsure how many people have lived in places that don't have good
> transport, and don't have the things that transport brings like
> sewerage, water, appliances, medical help, and access to schooling.

I used to live in a town of 250 people with 1 pub (we were lucky, most
towns that size have lost their pub) and 1 local store (no fuel).

A part time Ambulance service (20 minutes away), volunteer CFA, no
police station (or general coverage of the area, only major events would
bring them 20 minutes from the nearest station, and that wasn't 24
hour). No emergency department at the local hospital (20 minutes away
but no staff doctors, just local GP's), so emergencies had to be
transported 35 minutes along the highway to Bendigo (or an hour 20 to
Melbourne), or air ambulance helicopter (if it was available and flyable
and not away from the area).

I prefer living in the rural town I'm in now (8000 population), it may
not have metro level services... but at least it has most essential
services available (if not as easily or as conveniently).

G-S

G-S

"Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Resound wrote:
>> "Theo Bekkers wrote

>>> Hehe. We're getting a new SS ute today or tomorrow.

>> I do have to ask why...was it the bad fuel economy or reduced load
>> carrying ability you found most appealing?

> It's a company car, replacing a 4-5 yo Holden Storm ute, and the most
> appealing thing about it is that it doesn't attract FBT. I'm probably
> never going to drive it. I personally also have a company car of my
> choice, a 4 yo 4 cyl manual Ford Courier ute.
>
> Theo

Ok, so it's a company car. But what's it *for* that make it an attractive
option? The Storm was more of the same.

G-S wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote:
>> If you make a mistake due to an error in
>> your risk calculation, should all your property be sold to
>> compensate an injured party, even if you have insurance specifically
>> for such an event happening?

> I have to say... I am not now, nor have I ever been a fan of the
> 'no-fault' insurance system.
>
> So no I don't believe all property should be sold (as long as the
> insurance is paid up to date), but a reasonable 'excess' and or
> 'ratings' system isn't too much to ask I would have thought!
>
> Something that says "you've been busted for 0.05 twice and you're a
> higher risk and deserve a higher premium" or "you ran a group of
> cyclists over and deserve max premium" (this in addition to any
> relevant court action, not instead of I might add).

Yes, I agree with you on that, but it's probably too hard. Like childless
people don't get a discount on their income tax for education.

Theo

Resound wrote:
> "Theo Bekkers" wrote
>> It's a company car, replacing a 4-5 yo Holden Storm ute, and the most
>> appealing thing about it is that it doesn't attract FBT. I'm probably
>> never going to drive it.

> Ok, so it's a company car. But what's it *for* that make it an
> attractive option? The Storm was more of the same.

Only that the person who was driving the Storm wanted a new vehicle and his
salary package includes a vehicle of his choice. His gross salary is reduced
by the purchasing cost of the vehicle so it is entirely his choice as to
what he drives. That it is a ute is for FBT, same as your ute.

Theo