Granite vs Marble

Aileen

Guest
Hi all: I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What are your experiences? I
presently have Brazilian Green granite and wanted to compare the two for durability , cost,
staining etc etc. I will be building another kitchen and am trying to decide ...light white/grey
granite or carrera marble for counters. Island to be another colour granite or material. Any help
appreciated, Aileen

Aileen wrote:
> Hi all: I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What are your experiences? I
> presently have Brazilian Green granite and wanted to compare the two for durability , cost,
> staining etc etc. I will be building another kitchen and am trying to decide ...light white/grey
> granite or carrera marble for counters. Island to be another colour granite or material. Any help
> appreciated, Aileen

I don't have marble or granite countertops, but marble is *much* less durable than granite. It is
etched or stained by acids, and it is softer than granite.

You might also look into "soapstone" for a countertop material.

Best regards, Bob

In article <[email protected]>, Aileen
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi all: I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What are your experiences? I
> presently have Brazilian Green granite and wanted to compare the two for durability , cost,
> staining etc etc. I will be building another kitchen and am trying to decide ...light white/grey
> granite or carrera marble for counters. Island to be another colour granite or material. Any help
> appreciated, Aileen

Doesn't answer your question, but Lynn Rosetto Kasper (NPR's host of "The Splendid Table") says that
stainless steel is the new thang. That granite and marble scratch. Beats me.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Aileen <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Hi all: I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What are

> Doesn't answer your question, but Lynn Rosetto Kasper (NPR's host of "The Splendid Table") says
> that stainless steel is the new thang. That granite and marble scratch. Beats me.

And stainless steel doesn't? Must be some form of stainless I'm unfamiliar with,

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

we are selling our house, and in order to update it alittle i have granite tops put in the
kitchen...................I HATE IT! i hate keeping it shiny............................EVERY drop
of water shows...............

i had CORIAN in a previous house, and am looking forward to getting it back in our new
house.........................

--
read and post daily, it works! rosie

"how wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.
..................................anne frank

"Aileen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi all: I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What
are
> your experiences? I presently have Brazilian Green granite and
wanted to
> compare the two for durability , cost, staining etc etc. I will be building another kitchen and am
> trying to decide
...light
> white/grey granite or carrera marble for counters. Island to be
another
> colour granite or material. Any help appreciated, Aileen

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:37:32 -0600, " *rosie*"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>we are selling our house, and in order to update it alittle i have granite tops put in the
>kitchen...................I HATE IT! i hate keeping it shiny............................EVERY drop
>of water shows...............
>
>i had CORIAN in a previous house, and am looking forward to getting it back in our new
>house.........................

Thanks so much. I was thinking of having new counters put in and couldn't even begin to know what
kind. I have a finish carpenter coming to do some work and just needed a knowledgable suggestion. It
will be corian:).

aloha, Thunder

http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

"Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Aileen <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all: I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What are your experiences?
> > I presently have Brazilian Green granite and wanted to compare the two for durability , cost,
> > staining etc etc. I will be building another kitchen and am trying to decide ...light white/grey
> > granite or carrera marble for counters. Island to be another colour granite or material. Any
> > help appreciated, Aileen
> >

> Doesn't answer your question, but Lynn Rosetto Kasper (NPR's host of "The Splendid Table") says
> that stainless steel is the new thang. That granite and marble scratch. Beats me.

Anyone remember the DeLorean car of the early 1980's? It was designed with stainless steel body
panels to give it a sleek look but owners quickly became frustrated when they realized that the
gleaming showroom appearance was impossible to maintain.

Last year we had custom fabricated stainless steel countertops installed in our clubhouse kitchen
which is equipped with commercial appliances. The stainless countertops certainly have practical
advantages and are easy to clean but you have to be willing to accept compromises with the bright,
shiny appearance that you might expect from stainless steel. It is just the nature of stainless
steel to reflect and magnify every little surface spot, blemish and fingerprint. That is OK in most
commercial kitchens. But a homeowner could quickly find that to be a matter of serious irritatation.

"Nancree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >> "The Splendid Table") says that stainless steel is the new thang. That granite and marble
> >> scratch. Beats me.
> >
> >And stainless steel doesn't? Must be some form of stainless I'm unfamiliar with,
> I lived with stainless steel counters and sinks for 3 years, and I Hated
them.
> They were spotted all the time. Any drop of water left a whitish spot
when it
> dried. Set down a glass and it left a ring. The sinks were worse. After washing the dishes you had
> to wash the sink ! and then dry it thoroughly.
I now
> have Corian and love it--prettier too, IMO, comes in nice colors.

One feature of granite can be an advantage and a disadvantage at different times. The pattern in the
stone is not only beautiful but it hides minor stuff so the counter looks cleaner than it is. But
then when you want to clean it, that becomes a problem!

--
Peter Aitken

Remove the **** from my email address before using.

" *rosie*" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> we are selling our house, and in order to update it alittle i have granite tops put in the
> kitchen...................I HATE IT! i hate keeping it shiny............................EVERY drop
> of water shows...............

You must have some weird-ass granite. Ours hides the dirt and water spots so when I clean it I have
to wipe every square inch because I cannot tell the clean areas from the dirty. After 3 years of
daily use it is still almost as shiny as when new.

--
Peter Aitken

Remove the **** from my email address before using.

In article <[email protected]>, "Sam D."
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
(snip)
> > Doesn't answer your question, but Lynn Rosetto Kasper (NPR's host of "The Splendid Table") says
> > that stainless steel is the new thang. That granite and marble scratch. Beats me.
> >

> Anyone remember the DeLorean car of the early 1980's? It was designed with stainless steel body
> panels to give it a sleek look but owners quickly became frustrated when they realized that the
> gleaming showroom appearance was impossible to maintain.
>
> Last year we had custom fabricated stainless steel countertops installed in our clubhouse kitchen
> which is equipped with commercial appliances. The stainless countertops certainly have practical
> advantages and are easy to clean but you have to be willing to accept compromises with the bright,
> shiny appearance that you might expect from stainless steel. It is just the nature of stainless
> steel to reflect and magnify every little surface spot, blemish and fingerprint. That is OK in
> most commercial kitchens. But a homeowner could quickly find that to be a matter of serious
> irritatation.

The thing I didn't mention about Kasper's remarks about the SS counter is that her caller (radio
program) said she had three little kids - alluding to the fingerprints and marks. Kasper talked
about various finishes available -- brushed, I think. Designed to hide those kinds of hazards. I'm
not promoting it, just clarifying. :)
--

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>, Aileen <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > Hi all: I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What are
>
> > Doesn't answer your question, but Lynn Rosetto Kasper (NPR's host of "The Splendid Table") says
> > that stainless steel is the new thang. That granite and marble scratch. Beats me.
>
> And stainless steel doesn't? Must be some form of stainless I'm unfamiliar with,
>
> Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Sure. She mentioned another kind of finish to it -- brushed, I think. Hey, I'm just reporting what I
heard -- in pieces. "-) Peace.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

"smithfarms pure kona" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:37:32 -0600, " *rosie*" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >we are selling our house, and in order to update it alittle i have granite tops put in the
> >kitchen...................I HATE IT! i hate keeping it shiny............................EVERY
> >drop of water shows...............
> >
> >i had CORIAN in a previous house, and am looking forward to getting it back in our new
> >house.........................
>
> Thanks so much. I was thinking of having new counters put in and couldn't even begin to know what
> kind. I have a finish carpenter coming to do some work and just needed a knowledgable suggestion.
> It will be corian:).
>
> aloha, Thunder

No no no, she is all wrong. Granite is terrific - I love ours! Get some more opinions before
you decide.

--
Peter Aitken

Remove the **** from my email address before using.

Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > Doesn't answer your question, but Lynn Rosetto Kasper (NPR's host of "The Splendid Table") says
>> > that stainless steel is the new thang. That granite and marble scratch. Beats me.
>>
>> And stainless steel doesn't? Must be some form of stainless I'm unfamiliar with,
>>
>> Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.
>
>Sure. She mentioned another kind of finish to it -- brushed, I think. Hey, I'm just reporting what
>I heard -- in pieces. "-) Peace.

My kitchen sink is brushed stainless steel. It has been in used for almost 30 years and does not
look too bad. Of course I am not one to wax the kitchen sink. We are moving and the new sink is a
deep double white. Looks like I may have to spend a little more time on it.
--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

"Sam D." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Last year we had custom fabricated stainless steel countertops installed
in
> our clubhouse kitchen which is equipped with commercial appliances. The stainless countertops
> certainly have practical advantages and are easy to clean but you have to be willing to
> accept compromises with the bright, shiny appearance that you might expect from stainless
> steel. It is just
the
> nature of stainless steel to reflect and magnify every little surface
spot,
> blemish and fingerprint. That is OK in most commercial kitchens. But a homeowner could quickly
> find that to be a matter of serious irritatation.

I've had stainless steel counters for just over a year now and I actually think it is an advantage
that they show spills, etc. more than most countertops. It is less of a temptation to let a thorough
cleaning slide because it doesn't look dirty. Plus once I take the few minutes it takes to clean the
counter it looks great. I also like the idea that the things are just about indestructible.

They were also fairly inexpensive. Rather than going to a cabinet shop to get the counters, I had
thick plywood tops built and brought them to a sheet metal shop nearby for the stainless steel
application.

-Mike

<[email protected]> wrote:

> we are selling our house, and in order to update it alittle i have granite tops put in the
> kitchen...................I HATE IT! i hate keeping it shiny............................EVERY
> drop of water shows...............

You must have put in BLACK. If you installed something with "grain" like Dakota Mahogony, it
wouldn't be an issue... unless you're a slob.

> i had CORIAN in a previous house, and am looking forward to getting it back in our new
> house.........................

You're welcome to it! In fact - side your house with it and do your roof too.

Corian looks cheap, but it was cost equivalent to granite (including installation) the last time I
checked. So, if it's a choice between Corian and Formica, I'd go with Formica because you get what
you pay for and I like the designs these days.

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:06:49 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> You must have some weird-ass granite. Ours hides the dirt and water spots so when I clean it I
> have to wipe every square inch because I cannot tell the clean areas from the dirty. After 3
> years of daily use it is still almost as shiny as when new.

I think that's the difference between plain black or white and everything inbetween.

;-)

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:01:13 -0800, "Sam D."
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Anyone remember the DeLorean car of the early 1980's?

Oh, yes I do... except I didn't realize the body was UNPAINTED ss (I'm not a car nut).

http://www.delorean.org/dmc12.asp

> It was designed with stainless steel body panels to give it a sleek look but owners quickly
> became frustrated when they realized that the gleaming showroom appearance was impossible to
> maintain.

Not impossible, just difficult and I was raised on ss appliances/sinks (let's talk '50/60s).

IMO: Our perception of what ss should look like has changed ... I don't know if ss has changed much
over the last 50 years, but I do think that the finish, NOT the guage, determines our opinion
of how it looks as a well used appliance or sink.

I have a ss cleaner that actually makes my appliances look brand new after I use it. The product is
called "Weiman Stainless Steal Cleaner & Polish". It wasn't recommended by anyone, I bought it on a
whim one day and it worked for me.

If you can find Weiman, try it www.weiman.com

> Any help appreciated, Aileen

When we recently re-modeled our kitchen it came down to Granite vs. Formica. Though SS didn't occur
to me. At first I couldn't find any granite I liked (we were on the 12" tile thing), too many veins
that had to be matched, weird colors. Finally I found some plain old gray Yosemite style granite.
Not only that it was only $5 a square. $500 for granite and installation.

While formic is not particularly indestructible, it's cheap enough to replace every 5 years.

>"Christopher J. Webster" says:
>
>While formic is not particularly indestructible, it's cheap enough to replace every 5 years.

And that's exactly what I do, gives my kitchen a fresh new appearance for very little money, and
other than for futzing with the sink I can remove the old and install the new myself with little
more than a screw driver. I really don't see the point in spending what amounts to a year's worth of
groceries on a stone countertop just to impress the neighbors... I'd rather have the cash to spend
on good vittles.... but who am I to speak, while I type 70 sq yards of brazilian cherry floor is
being installed in my kitchen... six cats locked in the spare bedroom and me in my office... dust up
the kazoo!

Hopefully in about a week my kitchen will look like this:
http://www.woodfloors.org/consumer/designStudioInteract.asp?action=post&rm
1=ki&sp1=bc&di1=ve&rm2=dr&sp2=ac&di2=ho

PENMART01 wrote:
>> "Christopher J. Webster" says:
>>
>> While formic is not particularly indestructible, it's cheap enough to replace every 5 years.
>

> And that's exactly what I do, gives my kitchen a fresh new appearance for very little money, and
> other than for futzing with the sink I can remove the old and install the new myself with little
> more than a screw driver.

I thought it took a bucket of contact cement and a router. Or do you mean a prefab countertop and
you replace the whole top?

> I really don't see the point in spending what amounts to a year's worth of groceries on a stone
> countertop just to impress the neighbors...

It's so you can break dishes and cups whenever you sit them down too hard or they tip over.

> Hopefully in about a week my kitchen will look like this: <http://www.woodfloors.org/consumer/des-
> ignStudioInteract.asp?action=post&rm1=ki&sp1=bc&di1=ve&rm2=dr&sp2=ac&di2=ho>

Looks nice (but dark). What kind of finish does it have?

Regards, Bob