Granite vs Marble

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Aileen, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. Aileen

    Aileen Guest

    Hi all: I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What are your experiences? I
    presently have Brazilian Green granite and wanted to compare the two for durability , cost,
    staining etc etc. I will be building another kitchen and am trying to decide ...light white/grey
    granite or carrera marble for counters. Island to be another colour granite or material. Any help
    appreciated, Aileen

    Tags:

  2. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Aileen wrote:
    > Hi all: I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What are your experiences? I
    > presently have Brazilian Green granite and wanted to compare the two for durability , cost,
    > staining etc etc. I will be building another kitchen and am trying to decide ...light white/grey
    > granite or carrera marble for counters. Island to be another colour granite or material. Any help
    > appreciated, Aileen

    I don't have marble or granite countertops, but marble is *much* less durable than granite. It is
    etched or stained by acids, and it is softer than granite.

    You might also look into "soapstone" for a countertop material.

    Best regards, Bob

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Aileen
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi all: I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What are your experiences? I
    > presently have Brazilian Green granite and wanted to compare the two for durability , cost,
    > staining etc etc. I will be building another kitchen and am trying to decide ...light white/grey
    > granite or carrera marble for counters. Island to be another colour granite or material. Any help
    > appreciated, Aileen

    Doesn't answer your question, but Lynn Rosetto Kasper (NPR's host of "The Splendid Table") says that
    stainless steel is the new thang. That granite and marble scratch. Beats me.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

  4. ranck

    ranck Guest

    Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, Aileen <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > Hi all: I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What are

    > Doesn't answer your question, but Lynn Rosetto Kasper (NPR's host of "The Splendid Table") says
    > that stainless steel is the new thang. That granite and marble scratch. Beats me.

    And stainless steel doesn't? Must be some form of stainless I'm unfamiliar with,

    Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

  5. *Rosie*

    *Rosie* Guest

    we are selling our house, and in order to update it alittle i have granite tops put in the
    kitchen...................I HATE IT! i hate keeping it shiny............................EVERY drop
    of water shows...............

    i had CORIAN in a previous house, and am looking forward to getting it back in our new
    house.........................

    --
    read and post daily, it works! rosie

    "how wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.
    ..................................anne frank

    "Aileen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all: I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What
    are
    > your experiences? I presently have Brazilian Green granite and
    wanted to
    > compare the two for durability , cost, staining etc etc. I will be building another kitchen and am
    > trying to decide
    ...light
    > white/grey granite or carrera marble for counters. Island to be
    another
    > colour granite or material. Any help appreciated, Aileen

  6. On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:37:32 -0600, " *rosie*"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >we are selling our house, and in order to update it alittle i have granite tops put in the
    >kitchen...................I HATE IT! i hate keeping it shiny............................EVERY drop
    >of water shows...............
    >
    >i had CORIAN in a previous house, and am looking forward to getting it back in our new
    >house.........................

    Thanks so much. I was thinking of having new counters put in and couldn't even begin to know what
    kind. I have a finish carpenter coming to do some work and just needed a knowledgable suggestion. It
    will be corian:).

    aloha, Thunder

    http://www.smithfarms.com
    Farmers & Sellers of 100%
    Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

  7. Sam D.

    Sam D. Guest

    "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Aileen <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all: I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What are your experiences?
    > > I presently have Brazilian Green granite and wanted to compare the two for durability , cost,
    > > staining etc etc. I will be building another kitchen and am trying to decide ...light white/grey
    > > granite or carrera marble for counters. Island to be another colour granite or material. Any
    > > help appreciated, Aileen
    > >

    > Doesn't answer your question, but Lynn Rosetto Kasper (NPR's host of "The Splendid Table") says
    > that stainless steel is the new thang. That granite and marble scratch. Beats me.

    Anyone remember the DeLorean car of the early 1980's? It was designed with stainless steel body
    panels to give it a sleek look but owners quickly became frustrated when they realized that the
    gleaming showroom appearance was impossible to maintain.

    Last year we had custom fabricated stainless steel countertops installed in our clubhouse kitchen
    which is equipped with commercial appliances. The stainless countertops certainly have practical
    advantages and are easy to clean but you have to be willing to accept compromises with the bright,
    shiny appearance that you might expect from stainless steel. It is just the nature of stainless
    steel to reflect and magnify every little surface spot, blemish and fingerprint. That is OK in most
    commercial kitchens. But a homeowner could quickly find that to be a matter of serious irritatation.

  8. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Nancree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >> "The Splendid Table") says that stainless steel is the new thang. That granite and marble
    > >> scratch. Beats me.
    > >
    > >And stainless steel doesn't? Must be some form of stainless I'm unfamiliar with,
    > I lived with stainless steel counters and sinks for 3 years, and I Hated
    them.
    > They were spotted all the time. Any drop of water left a whitish spot
    when it
    > dried. Set down a glass and it left a ring. The sinks were worse. After washing the dishes you had
    > to wash the sink ! and then dry it thoroughly.
    I now
    > have Corian and love it--prettier too, IMO, comes in nice colors.

    One feature of granite can be an advantage and a disadvantage at different times. The pattern in the
    stone is not only beautiful but it hides minor stuff so the counter looks cleaner than it is. But
    then when you want to clean it, that becomes a problem!

    --
    Peter Aitken

  9. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    " *rosie*" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > we are selling our house, and in order to update it alittle i have granite tops put in the
    > kitchen...................I HATE IT! i hate keeping it shiny............................EVERY drop
    > of water shows...............

    You must have some weird-ass granite. Ours hides the dirt and water spots so when I clean it I have
    to wipe every square inch because I cannot tell the clean areas from the dirty. After 3 years of
    daily use it is still almost as shiny as when new.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  10. In article <[email protected]>, "Sam D."
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Melba's Jammin'" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    (snip)
    > > Doesn't answer your question, but Lynn Rosetto Kasper (NPR's host of "The Splendid Table") says
    > > that stainless steel is the new thang. That granite and marble scratch. Beats me.
    > >

    > Anyone remember the DeLorean car of the early 1980's? It was designed with stainless steel body
    > panels to give it a sleek look but owners quickly became frustrated when they realized that the
    > gleaming showroom appearance was impossible to maintain.
    >
    > Last year we had custom fabricated stainless steel countertops installed in our clubhouse kitchen
    > which is equipped with commercial appliances. The stainless countertops certainly have practical
    > advantages and are easy to clean but you have to be willing to accept compromises with the bright,
    > shiny appearance that you might expect from stainless steel. It is just the nature of stainless
    > steel to reflect and magnify every little surface spot, blemish and fingerprint. That is OK in
    > most commercial kitchens. But a homeowner could quickly find that to be a matter of serious
    > irritatation.

    The thing I didn't mention about Kasper's remarks about the SS counter is that her caller (radio
    program) said she had three little kids - alluding to the fingerprints and marks. Kasper talked
    about various finishes available -- brushed, I think. Designed to hide those kinds of hazards. I'm
    not promoting it, just clarifying. :)
    --

  11. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

    > Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>, Aileen <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > > Hi all: I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What are
    >
    > > Doesn't answer your question, but Lynn Rosetto Kasper (NPR's host of "The Splendid Table") says
    > > that stainless steel is the new thang. That granite and marble scratch. Beats me.
    >
    > And stainless steel doesn't? Must be some form of stainless I'm unfamiliar with,
    >
    > Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

    Sure. She mentioned another kind of finish to it -- brushed, I think. Hey, I'm just reporting what I
    heard -- in pieces. "-) Peace.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

  12. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "smithfarms pure kona" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:37:32 -0600, " *rosie*" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >we are selling our house, and in order to update it alittle i have granite tops put in the
    > >kitchen...................I HATE IT! i hate keeping it shiny............................EVERY
    > >drop of water shows...............
    > >
    > >i had CORIAN in a previous house, and am looking forward to getting it back in our new
    > >house.........................
    >
    > Thanks so much. I was thinking of having new counters put in and couldn't even begin to know what
    > kind. I have a finish carpenter coming to do some work and just needed a knowledgable suggestion.
    > It will be corian:).
    >
    > aloha, Thunder

    No no no, she is all wrong. Granite is terrific - I love ours! Get some more opinions before
    you decide.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  13. The Cook

    The Cook Guest

    Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> > Doesn't answer your question, but Lynn Rosetto Kasper (NPR's host of "The Splendid Table") says
    >> > that stainless steel is the new thang. That granite and marble scratch. Beats me.
    >>
    >> And stainless steel doesn't? Must be some form of stainless I'm unfamiliar with,
    >>
    >> Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.
    >
    >Sure. She mentioned another kind of finish to it -- brushed, I think. Hey, I'm just reporting what
    >I heard -- in pieces. "-) Peace.

    My kitchen sink is brushed stainless steel. It has been in used for almost 30 years and does not
    look too bad. Of course I am not one to wax the kitchen sink. We are moving and the new sink is a
    deep double white. Looks like I may have to spend a little more time on it.
    --
    Susan N.

    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

  14. Mike Pearce

    Mike Pearce Guest

    "Sam D." <[email protected]heart.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Last year we had custom fabricated stainless steel countertops installed
    in
    > our clubhouse kitchen which is equipped with commercial appliances. The stainless countertops
    > certainly have practical advantages and are easy to clean but you have to be willing to
    > accept compromises with the bright, shiny appearance that you might expect from stainless
    > steel. It is just
    the
    > nature of stainless steel to reflect and magnify every little surface
    spot,
    > blemish and fingerprint. That is OK in most commercial kitchens. But a homeowner could quickly
    > find that to be a matter of serious irritatation.

    I've had stainless steel counters for just over a year now and I actually think it is an advantage
    that they show spills, etc. more than most countertops. It is less of a temptation to let a thorough
    cleaning slide because it doesn't look dirty. Plus once I take the few minutes it takes to clean the
    counter it looks great. I also like the idea that the things are just about indestructible.

    They were also fairly inexpensive. Rather than going to a cabinet shop to get the counters, I had
    thick plywood tops built and brought them to a sheet metal shop nearby for the stainless steel
    application.

    -Mike

  15. Sf

    Sf Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > we are selling our house, and in order to update it alittle i have granite tops put in the
    > kitchen...................I HATE IT! i hate keeping it shiny............................EVERY
    > drop of water shows...............

    You must have put in BLACK. If you installed something with "grain" like Dakota Mahogony, it
    wouldn't be an issue... unless you're a slob.

    > i had CORIAN in a previous house, and am looking forward to getting it back in our new
    > house.........................

    You're welcome to it! In fact - side your house with it and do your roof too.

    Corian looks cheap, but it was cost equivalent to granite (including installation) the last time I
    checked. So, if it's a choice between Corian and Formica, I'd go with Formica because you get what
    you pay for and I like the designs these days.

  16. Sf

    Sf Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:06:49 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > You must have some weird-ass granite. Ours hides the dirt and water spots so when I clean it I
    > have to wipe every square inch because I cannot tell the clean areas from the dirty. After 3
    > years of daily use it is still almost as shiny as when new.

    I think that's the difference between plain black or white and everything inbetween.

    ;-)

  17. Sf

    Sf Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:01:13 -0800, "Sam D."
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Anyone remember the DeLorean car of the early 1980's?

    Oh, yes I do... except I didn't realize the body was UNPAINTED ss (I'm not a car nut).

    http://www.delorean.org/dmc12.asp

    > It was designed with stainless steel body panels to give it a sleek look but owners quickly
    > became frustrated when they realized that the gleaming showroom appearance was impossible to
    > maintain.

    Not impossible, just difficult and I was raised on ss appliances/sinks (let's talk '50/60s).

    IMO: Our perception of what ss should look like has changed ... I don't know if ss has changed much
    over the last 50 years, but I do think that the finish, NOT the guage, determines our opinion
    of how it looks as a well used appliance or sink.

    I have a ss cleaner that actually makes my appliances look brand new after I use it. The product is
    called "Weiman Stainless Steal Cleaner & Polish". It wasn't recommended by anyone, I bought it on a
    whim one day and it worked for me.

    > Last year we had custom fabricated stainless steel countertops installed in our clubhouse kitchen
    > which is equipped with commercial appliances. The stainless countertops certainly have practical
    > advantages and are easy to clean but you have to be willing to accept compromises with the
    > bright, shiny appearance that you might expect from stainless steel. It is just the nature of
    > stainless steel to reflect and magnify every little surface spot, blemish and fingerprint. That
    > is OK in most commercial kitchens. But a homeowner could quickly find that to be a matter of
    > serious irritatation.

    If you can find Weiman, try it www.weiman.com

  18. > Any help appreciated, Aileen

    When we recently re-modeled our kitchen it came down to Granite vs. Formica. Though SS didn't occur
    to me. At first I couldn't find any granite I liked (we were on the 12" tile thing), too many veins
    that had to be matched, weird colors. Finally I found some plain old gray Yosemite style granite.
    Not only that it was only $5 a square. $500 for granite and installation.

    While formic is not particularly indestructible, it's cheap enough to replace every 5 years.

  19. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >"Christopher J. Webster" says:
    >
    >While formic is not particularly indestructible, it's cheap enough to replace every 5 years.

    And that's exactly what I do, gives my kitchen a fresh new appearance for very little money, and
    other than for futzing with the sink I can remove the old and install the new myself with little
    more than a screw driver. I really don't see the point in spending what amounts to a year's worth of
    groceries on a stone countertop just to impress the neighbors... I'd rather have the cash to spend
    on good vittles.... but who am I to speak, while I type 70 sq yards of brazilian cherry floor is
    being installed in my kitchen... six cats locked in the spare bedroom and me in my office... dust up
    the kazoo!

    Hopefully in about a week my kitchen will look like this:
    http://www.woodfloors.org/consumer/designStudioInteract.asp?action=post&rm
    1=ki&sp1=bc&di1=ve&rm2=dr&sp2=ac&di2=ho

  20. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    PENMART01 wrote:
    >> "Christopher J. Webster" says:
    >>
    >> While formic is not particularly indestructible, it's cheap enough to replace every 5 years.
    >

    > And that's exactly what I do, gives my kitchen a fresh new appearance for very little money, and
    > other than for futzing with the sink I can remove the old and install the new myself with little
    > more than a screw driver.

    I thought it took a bucket of contact cement and a router. Or do you mean a prefab countertop and
    you replace the whole top?

    > I really don't see the point in spending what amounts to a year's worth of groceries on a stone
    > countertop just to impress the neighbors...

    It's so you can break dishes and cups whenever you sit them down too hard or they tip over.

    > Hopefully in about a week my kitchen will look like this: <http://www.woodfloors.org/consumer/des-
    > ignStudioInteract.asp?action=post&rm1=ki&sp1=bc&di1=ve&rm2=dr&sp2=ac&di2=ho>

    Looks nice (but dark). What kind of finish does it have?

    Regards, Bob