Granite vs Marble

> You must have put in BLACK. If you installed something with "grain" like Dakota Mahogony, it
> wouldn't be an issue... unless you're a slob.

that is EXACTLY what we have..............................and no, i'm not a slob, i wouldn't worry
about those damn water marks if i was, now would i!

> >
> > i had CORIAN in a previous house, and am looking forward to
getting
> > it back in our new house.........................
>
> You're welcome to it! In fact - side your house with it and do your roof too.

i believe that we were discussing countertops only.

>
> Corian looks cheap, but it was cost equivalent to granite (including installation) the last time I
> checked.

"to each his own"..............................

> I replace the whole top... last time I replaced a counter top a few years ago the price was like
> $20 or so a running foot depending on which laminate -- Home Depot will supply counter top to your
> measurements in a vast array of laminates. This kitchen has 24' of counter top (would cost about
> $500), a fully covered backsplash up to the bottom of the cabinets (three full sheets 4' x 10'
> should do it, about $100 worth), and one 8" x 3' windowsill (about $50).. well under $1,000. How
> many thousands would I need to spend for stone?

I spent $500 for 12" granite squares, installed. They were $5 each or $10 a linear foot. I also have
24' of 24" deep counter top.

>>I spent $500 for 12" granite squares, installed. They were $5 each or $10 a linear foot. I also
>>have 24' of 24" deep counter top.
>
>
> That's not a solid stone counter top...

Correct, either is formica, though it is single piece. I'm not a fan of grout/tiles for counter top,
but I only had experience with 4" tile counter tops, I decided to change the compromise of 12"
squares. We used a tan colored grout. Grout sealer is effective so far, we've spilled red wine and
no stains. Also we used 1/8" grout line instead of
1/4", and it's all done very flush. No regrets after 3 years.

> with all those crevices must get friggin' filthy and look like dreck....

Nope.

What about all those people who put 4" square tile on their counter tops?

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 12:58:50 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Aileen <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all: I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What are your experiences? I
>> presently have Brazilian Green granite and wanted to compare the two for durability , cost,
>> staining etc etc. I will be building another kitchen and am trying to decide ...light white/grey
>> granite or carrera marble for counters. Island to be another colour granite or material. Any help
>> appreciated, Aileen
>>
>
>Doesn't answer your question, but Lynn Rosetto Kasper (NPR's host of "The Splendid Table") says
>that stainless steel is the new thang. That granite and marble scratch. Beats me.

Well the granite would certainly scratch any stainless steel as would anything that would scratch
the granite. Maybe the decorators have just found something that is even more expensive than granite
to have fabricated and installed.

> >
> >Doesn't answer your question, but Lynn Rosetto Kasper (NPR's host of "The Splendid Table") says
> >that stainless steel is the new thang. That granite and marble scratch. Beats me.

New thing? It was in every house in Levittown PA in the 1950's. One piece counter top and sink.

My house came with pink formica countertops. When we could afford it, we had that taken out and
replaced with solid granite. It is easy to keep clean and nothing damages it. I absolutely love it!
I wanted soapstone initially, but the woman who was helping us with our choice demonstrated that
soapstone scratches very easily - you can scratch it with a fingernail. So, we have beautiful
granite with flecks of mica in it. It has a lovely pattern. My kitchen is now a place of cool
tranquility and just walking into the room has a calming effect if you have had a bad day.

In rec.food.cooking, Chris Webster <[email protected]> wrote:

> What about all those people who put 4" square tile on their counter tops?

That never made any sense to me at all. I'd rather have formica.

--
...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

In rec.food.cooking, Tashi_Aunt <[email protected]> wrote:
> My house came with pink formica countertops. When we could afford it, we had that taken out and
> replaced with solid granite. It is easy to keep clean and nothing damages it. I absolutely love
> it! I wanted soapstone initially, but the woman who was helping us with our choice demonstrated
> that soapstone scratches very easily - you can scratch it with a fingernail. So, we have beautiful
> granite with flecks of mica in it. It has a lovely pattern. My kitchen is now a place of cool
> tranquility and just walking into the room has a calming effect if you have had a bad day.

Nobody has yet mentioned slate. I once saw an article in a home improvement mag about slate
counters. They looked awesome. Not only that, but the sink can be fabricated out of slate as well.

--

- The Who

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:20:43 -0700, "Christopher J. Webster"

>
> > Any help appreciated, Aileen
> >
>
> When we recently re-modeled our kitchen it came down to Granite vs. Formica. Though SS didn't
> occur to me.

I like SS, but I think that totally ss counters are over the top... and way too
industrial/commercial for me.

> At first I couldn't find any granite I liked (we were on the 12" tile thing), too many veins that
> had to be matched, weird colors. Finally I found some plain old gray Yosemite style granite. Not
> only that it was only $5 a square. $500 for granite and installation.
>
> While formic is not particularly indestructible, it's cheap enough to replace every 5 years.

AND the new designs are great. You want granite? They have it (and it looks good). You want
marble, soapstone or wood? They have it. You want it to look like Corian? They probably have
something like that too.

;-)

Obviously, I was impressed by the "it's not your mother's formica". AFAIC: If you don't have a lot
of money, but you need a new countertop - Formica is the way to go. I absolutely HATE ceramic
tile... mainly because most tile setters today don't know how to set tiles the old fashioned way:
with little to no space between them.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments

On 25 Feb 2004 19:19:05 GMT, [email protected] (PENMART01)
wrote:

>
> That's the natural wood, no stain is used on brazilian cherry, and it gets a bit darker with
> reddish purple tones over time when exposed to light. I wanted something dark and with some
> character... it will get four coats of some expensive ($80/gal) urethane type finish made in
> Sweden...

I have a friend who used that. She had to move kids, cats & dogs as well as adults out of the house
for 2 or 3 days due to the life shortening fumes involved. She has to stay out of the house for a
day or so even when she gives the floor a "tune up".

> I used the same stuff to refinish the living room when I first moved in, beautiful job.

Yes, it is and if I remember her last comment to me about it correctly, it's also now illegal in CA.

> The entire rest of the house is floored in a light colored oak, this area will have a very
> different look, I chose wider boards too (3"), all the rest is 2" width.

It's a "primative" look... sorta like subflooring, but very fashionable. I had no idea you were such
a home designer at heart! I shoulda knowed when you sent me the arial view of your property. Sheesh.
It's a place where most people would think that they'd died and went to Heaven if they got near it.

You actually beat my mother's property.... only because you have a real river (not a year round
stream like Mom's) flowing past. The best part is that your big river is between you and the
highway! Mom just has 40 acres and a few trees.

> The original owners used commercial grade vinyl tile, 12" squares, in a *horrid* green and
> white marblized pattern... they lived with that grotesque kitchen flooring some 41 years, I
> don't know how.

I don't know if they picked it, but it must have been something they could live with. LOL. Try
living with the pink & white kitchen with pink & green striped wallpaper on the ceiling and '60's
style funky flowered wallpaper that came with my kitchen. Eeeew. My bedroom had a bright orange
(gloss) paint and wallpaper that was a brown grasspaper with and ORANGE background. Yuck. Combine
that with eye-ease green paint on all the walls and some sort of horrible green carpet that "co-
ordinated" with it. Nasty.

> And all the rest of the kitchen is beautiful custom cherrywood cabinets and wall paneling, all
> from the same tree that was cut from the property...

Your're so lucky to have the local resourses who can do that for you! My sister has a very tasteful
kitchen that was done frugally... the cabinets were made with wood from an old barn. They are full
of character! Although I wouldn't do that sort of thing in my city house, they are absolutely
PERFECT for her country house.

> in fact all the doors in the house are from that same tree.

That was a HUGE tree!

On 25 Feb 2004 22:45:23 GMT, [email protected] (PENMART01)
wrote:

> >
> >
> >I spent $500 for 12" granite squares, installed. They were $5 each or $10 a linear foot. I also
> >have 24' of 24" deep counter top.
>
> That's not a solid stone counter top... with all those crevices must get friggin' filthy and look
> like dreck.... they would have to pay me $5 each to schlep those tiles to the land fill.

Actually, the 24 x 24 tiles aren't bad! I know people who have done it and it looks good.... the
seam is almost invisible if the installer is any good.

zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> PENMART01 wrote:
> >> "Christopher J. Webster" says:
>
> > I really don't see the point in spending what amounts to a year's worth of groceries on a stone
> > countertop just to impress the neighbors...
>
> It's so you can break dishes and cups whenever you sit them down too hard or they tip over.
>
> > Hopefully in about a week my kitchen will look like this: <http://www.woodfloors.org/consumer/d-
> > esignStudioInteract.asp?action=post&rm1=ki&sp1=bc&di1=ve&rm2=dr&sp2=ac&di2=ho>
> >
> Looks nice (but dark). What kind of finish does it have?

We wanted to use cherry flooring in the kitchen - it's just gorgeous - but were told that cherry
darkens dramatically with age, and not being able to envision how it would eventually look with our
cabinetry, we chickened out! We ended up with a bamboo floor (random planks, interesting grain).

We did, however, opt for granite countertops. They're good looking, easy to clean, and stay cool
(perfect for rolling pastry dough). We ruled out marble, as it's too porous and can absorb stains.
Haven't broken any glasses on the counters yet! Actually, we were more worried about dropping things
on the floor, which is why we went with hardwood instead of stone or ceramic tile.

I don't think any one surface is "better" than the others. The choices should suit the people who
will be using it, and what they will be using it for. Just my 2 cents!

- Chris
---
http://www.sudairy.com/

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:34:02 -0600, zxcvbob

> PENMART01 wrote:
>
> > Hopefully in about a week my kitchen will look like this: <http://www.woodfloors.org/consumer/-
> > designStudioInteract.asp?action=post&rm1=ki&sp1=bc&di1=ve&rm2=dr&sp2=ac&di2=ho>
> >
> Looks nice (but dark). What kind of finish does it have?
>

I'm assuming it's the one on the left... that's my style and it's not too dark given the setting
(light cabinets), IMO.

I LOVE the look of natural cherry, especially when the different shades of wood are allowed to
shine through.

However, if wood isn't bleached - it will eventually darken with time. So all it takes is a little
patience to get a pretty honey colored wood tone.

il Thu, 26 Feb 2004 03:57:46 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" ha scritto:

>
>
> > >
> > >Doesn't answer your question, but Lynn Rosetto Kasper (NPR's host of "The Splendid Table") says
> > >that stainless steel is the new thang. That granite and marble scratch. Beats me.
>
> New thing? It was in every house in Levittown PA in the 1950's. One piece counter top and sink.

Got one of those. Probably that old too. Easy to clean. What I hadn't known was that chlorine bleach
corrodes stainless steel.

At least with a marble top one could do some clay kneadiing as well. ;-)

--
Cheers, Loki [ Brevity is the soul of wit. W.Shakespeare ]

sf <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 10:34:02 -0600, zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> PENMART01 wrote:
>>
>> > Hopefully in about a week my kitchen will look like this:
>> > <http://www.woodfloors.org/consumer/designStudioInteract.asp?action
>> > =post&rm1=ki&sp1=bc&di1=ve&rm2=dr&sp2=ac&di2=ho>
>> >
>> Looks nice (but dark). What kind of finish does it have?
>>
>
> I'm assuming it's the one on the left... that's my style and it's not too dark given the setting
> (light cabinets), IMO.
>
> I LOVE the look of natural cherry, especially when the different shades of wood are allowed to
> shine through.
>
> However, if wood isn't bleached - it will eventually darken with time. So all it takes is a little
> patience to get a pretty honey colored wood tone.
>
>
> Practice safe eating - always use condiments
>

Some years ago when we redid a kitchen, we used unbleached natural cherry. After three years it had
mellowed to a beautiful tawny hue.

Wayne

In rec.food.cooking, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

> The good part of granite is that it will last practically forever.

As a metamorphic rock, hasn't it been around practically forever already?

I used to have marble countertops in my old kitchen. They were salvaged from wainscotting in a
remodeled downtown office building. I thought that was pretty cool. But lemme tell ya, marble is not
an optimum material for countertops. It is not nearly hard enough to stay shiny.

--

- The Who

Aileen <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What are your experiences? I
> presently have Brazilian Green granite and wanted to compare the two for durability , cost,
> staining etc etc. I will be building another kitchen and am trying to decide ...light white/grey
> granite or carrera marble for counters. Island to be another colour granite or material.

I wrote an article many years ago on marble production and uses in the late 19th century in Canada.
Yes, it was published after passing peer review, in The Register, volume 6, no. 2, pp. 135-148.

Briefly, polished granite is fairly durable but not impervious to accidents. Granite is a lighter
stone than marble by about 5kg to a cubic foot and it first gradually and then suddenly replaced
marble as a household and funerary stone in the late 19th century, as marble sources dried up in the
US and the Canadian marble industry was summarily killed by US tariffs.

By the late 1890's, fashion had reduced marble to a rare stone in construction except in the most
expensive dwellings.

Marble is a calcium silicate which is to say that it has facets, some soluble, some non-soluble. If
the stone is cut precisely to expose the non-soluble facet (obviously the most expensive cut), the
stone can last a few hundred years without showing signs of fading, at least as a funerary stone.

On the whole marble would be a better stone, but nowadays, you may not be able to get a cut along
the non-soluble face. I can't say I've tried to buy marble lately.

--

"I'm the master of low expectations."

GWB, aboard Air Force One, 04Jun2003

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 19:42:13 +0000 (UTC),
[email protected] wrote:

> In rec.food.cooking, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > The good part of granite is that it will last practically forever.
>
> As a metamorphic rock, hasn't it been around practically forever already?
>
> I used to have marble countertops in my old kitchen. They were salvaged from wainscotting in a
> remodeled downtown office building. I thought that was pretty cool. But lemme tell ya, marble is
> not an optimum material for countertops. It is not nearly hard enough to stay shiny.

You're right. That's why it's marble for bathrooms and granite for kitchens. However, there are
products available to "refinish" your stone after you've done something really stupid.

In rec.food.cooking, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

> You're right. That's why it's marble for bathrooms and granite for kitchens. However, there are
> products available to "refinish" your stone after you've done something really stupid.

We had something called Marble Magic which came in a spray can. I think that it was basically
silicone which provided a shiny surface temporarily, until the next time you sprayed the counter
with Fantastik.

--

- The Who

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 15:48:34 +0000 (UTC),
[email protected] wrote:

> In rec.food.cooking, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > You're right. That's why it's marble for bathrooms and granite for kitchens. However, there are
> > products available to "refinish" your stone after you've done something really stupid.
>
> We had something called Marble Magic which came in a spray can. I think that it was basically
> silicone which provided a shiny surface temporarily, until the next time you sprayed the counter
> with Fantastik.

You can get better products from the place that sells/installs the stone.