Grapefruit lowers BG?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Brad Sheppard, Jan 30, 2004.

  1. I'm going out and buy some grapefruit juice - "The participants
    drinking grapefruit juice lost an average of 3.3 pounds. But those in
    the control group who consumed no grapefruit only lost an average of
    0.5 pounds. The researchers said the weight loss was probably linked
    to lowered levels of insulin, which was born out by measurements of
    glucose levels. " http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3439391.stm

    Tags:

  2. Jennifer

    Jennifer Guest

    If you're taking any of the cholesterol lowering statins...

    You'll want to nix that grapefruit.

    Jennifer

    Brad Sheppard wrote:

    > I'm going out and buy some grapefruit juice - "The participants drinking grapefruit juice lost an
    > average of 3.3 pounds. But those in the control group who consumed no grapefruit only lost an
    > average of .5 pounds. The researchers said the weight loss was probably linked to lowered levels
    > of insulin, which was born out by measurements of glucose levels. "
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3439391.stm

  3. bistoury

    bistoury Guest

    What about just eating three grapefruits a day. Wonder if that works. I eat a whole one everyday
    with and avocado in a salad type thing.

    Brad Shepherd wrote:

    > I'm going out and buy some grapefruit juice - "The participants drinking grapefruit juice lost an
    > average of 3.3 pounds. But those in the control group who consumed no grapefruit only lost an
    > average of .5 pounds. The researchers said the weight loss was probably linked to lowered levels
    > of insulin, which was born out by measurements of glucose levels. "
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3439391.stm

  4. bistoury

    bistoury Guest

    I take Zocor and have since it came out and still eat my grapefruits with an avocado every day
    unless I do a guaco-mole`. Nothing has ever happened. I also take BP pill and was warned but it
    doesn't bother us.

  5. [email protected] wrote:

    > I take Zocor and have since it came out and still eat my grapefruits with an avocado every day
    > unless I do a guaco-mole`. Nothing has ever happened. I also take BP pill and was warned but it
    > doesn't bother us.
    >
    > Jennifer wrote:
    >
    >> If you're taking any of the cholesterol lowering statins...
    >>
    >> You'll want to nix that grapefruit.
    >>
    >> Jennifer

    Hopefully you will continue to play russian roulette with malabsorption of some of your meds, and
    then stroke out or have an arrhythmia. Either way, you will then piss off and stop bothering us.

    Dennis (Type 2)

  6. gbritton!

    gbritton! Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 04:37:56 UTC, Dennis Rekuta
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hopefully you will continue to play russian roulette with malabsorption of some of your meds, and
    > then stroke out or have an arrhythmia. Either way, you will then piss off and stop bothering us.

    Well and succinctly said:) All the lit says don't use grapefruit(which I love) with most cholesterol
    lowering meds, like Lipitor(which I hate but take). However, if a user wishes to become a luser,
    c'est la vie.

    --

  7. Jennifer

    Jennifer Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I take Zocor and have since it came out and still eat my grapefruits with an avocado every day
    > unless I do a guaco-mole`. Nothing has ever happened. I also take BP pill and was warned but it
    > doesn't bother us.

    You can't possibly know that "nothing has ever happened".

    Do you even know what is supposed to "happen" if you mix grapefruit with statins? You will not
    explode, but what CAN happen is:

    Grapefruit juice can increase the amount of medication that is absorbed from the stomach. This can
    result in higher levels of the statin in the blood. Higher levels of the statin in the blood can
    increase your risk for certain serious side effects such as muscle and liver problems. This
    interaction only occurs with grapefruit juice and does not occur with any other citrus fruits
    (orange juice, lemonade).

    Are you getting a liver function test regularly?

    If not, you can't know that "nothing has happened".

    Jennifer

  8. bistoury

    bistoury Guest

    Since I have been taking this for so long and with no problems I don't plan on leaving anytime soon.
    Sorry to disappoint you. Go bother yourself.

    Denies Requite wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> I take Zocor and have since it came out and still eat my grapefruits with an avocado every day
    >> unless I do a guaco-mole`. Nothing has ever happened. I also take BP pill and was warned but it
    >> doesn't bother us.
    >>
    >> Jennifer wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you're taking any of the cholesterol lowering statins...
    >>>
    >>> You'll want to nix that grapefruit.
    >>>
    >>> Jennifer
    >>>
    > Hopefully you will continue to play russian roulette with malabsorption of some of your meds, and
    > then stroke out or have an arrhythmia. Either way, you will then piss off and stop bothering us.
    >
    > Dennis (Type 2)

  9. bistoury

    bistoury Guest

    I KNOW there is nothing wrong. I all labs done every six weeks and everything is normal and with a
    cholesterol of 156 my doc is very happy and he indeed, knows my diet as do my two expert. certified
    and registered dietitians. Will proceed with their guidance. As I said nothing has happened from
    this diet. My mother took the same medication and ate the same diet and recently died in her 93rd.
    year. Best of luck to you with your diet.

    Jennifer wrote:

    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> I take Zocor and have since it came out and still eat my grapefruits with an avocado every day
    >> unless I do a guaco-mole`. Nothing has ever happened. I also take BP pill and was warned but it
    >> doesn't bother us.
    >

    > You can't possibly know that "nothing has ever happened".
    >
    > Do you even know what is supposed to "happen" if you mix grapefruit with statins? You will not
    > explode, but what CAN happen is:
    >
    > Grapefruit juice can increase the amount of medication that is absorbed from the stomach. This can
    > result in higher levels of the statin in the blood. Higher levels of the statin in the blood can
    > increase your risk for certain serious side effects such as muscle and liver problems. This
    > interaction only occurs with grapefruit juice and does not occur with any other citrus fruits
    > (orange juice, lemonade).
    >
    > Are you getting a liver function test regularly?
    >
    > If not, you can't know that "nothing has happened".
    >
    > Jennifer

  10. bistoury

    bistoury Guest

    No problems with years of use. By the way it is my understanding that one must die of something.

    [email protected]!telus.net wrote:

    > On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 04:37:56 UTC, Dennis Rekuta <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Hopefully you will continue to play russian roulette with malabsorption of some of your meds, and
    >>then stroke out or have an arrhythmia. Either way, you will then piss off and stop bothering us.
    >

    > Well and succinctly said:) All the lit says don't use grapefruit(which I love) with most
    > cholesterol lowering meds, like Lipitor(which I hate but take). However, if a user wishes to
    > become a luser, c'est la vie.

  11. Alan

    Alan Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:25:39 -0800, Jennifer
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[email protected] wrote:
    >> I take Zocor and have since it came out and still eat my grapefruits with an avocado every day
    >> unless I do a guaco-mole`. Nothing has ever happened. I also take BP pill and was warned but it
    >> doesn't bother us.
    >
    >You can't possibly know that "nothing has ever happened".
    >
    >Do you even know what is supposed to "happen" if you mix grapefruit with statins? You will not
    >explode, but what CAN happen is:
    >
    >Grapefruit juice can increase the amount of medication that is absorbed from the stomach. This can
    >result in higher levels of the statin in the blood. Higher levels of the statin in the blood can
    >increase your risk for certain serious side effects such as muscle and liver problems. This
    >interaction only occurs with grapefruit juice and does not occur with any other citrus fruits
    >(orange juice, lemonade).
    >
    >Are you getting a liver function test regularly?
    >
    >If not, you can't know that "nothing has happened".
    >
    >Jennifer

    Thanks for that info Jennifer. I would have thought there were obvious carb intakeand glucose
    control problems as well with the quantities mentioned. However, your reason sounds good enough for
    me without any further troubles.

    Wasn't there a fad grapefruit diet in the '60s??

    Cheers Alan, T2, Oz dx May 2002 , A1C 5.8, no meds, diet and not enough exercise.

  12. Hemyd

    Hemyd Guest

    I cannot understand the volume of posts from you extolling the grapefruit. Maybe it's true that it
    has had no adverse effect on you, but if there is medical evidence that it is harmful, must you
    try to convince others that because it does not harm YOU, then it is good for all? I am sure there
    are many chain smokers who have lived to a ripe old age, but I would still not advocate smoking
    for all...

    Henry

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I KNOW there is nothing wrong. I all labs done every six weeks and everything is normal and with a
    > cholesterol of 156 my doc is very happy and he indeed, knows my diet as do my two expert.
    > certified and registered dietitians. Will proceed with their guidance. As I said nothing has
    > happened from this diet. My mother took the same medication and ate the same diet and recently
    > died in her 93rd. year. Best of luck to you with your diet.
    >
    > Jennifer wrote:
    >

    > > [email protected] wrote:
    > >
    > >> I take Zocor and have since it came out and still eat my grapefruits with an avocado every day
    > >> unless I do a guaco-mole`. Nothing has ever happened. I also take BP pill and was warned but it
    > >> doesn't bother us.
    > >

    > > You can't possibly know that "nothing has ever happened".
    > >
    > > Do you even know what is supposed to "happen" if you mix grapefruit with statins? You will not
    > > explode, but what CAN happen is:
    > >
    > > Grapefruit juice can increase the amount of medication that is absorbed from the stomach. This
    > > can result in higher levels of the statin in the blood. Higher levels of the statin in the blood
    > > can increase your risk for certain serious side effects such as muscle and liver problems. This
    > > interaction only occurs with grapefruit juice and does not occur with any other citrus fruits
    > > (orange juice, lemonade).
    > >
    > > Are you getting a liver function test regularly?
    > >
    > > If not, you can't know that "nothing has happened".
    > >
    > > Jennifer

  13. I think eating the 3 grapefruits a day would work. I'm lazy and will go for the juice. Good point
    someone made about nixing grapefruit if you take statins.

    [email protected] wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
    > What about just eating three grapefruits a day. Wonder if that works. I eat a whole one everyday
    > with and avocado in a salad type thing.
    >
    > Brad Shepherd wrote:
    >
    > > I'm going out and buy some grapefruit juice - "The participants drinking grapefruit juice lost
    > > an average of 3.3 pounds. But those in the control group who consumed no grapefruit only lost an
    > > average of .5 pounds. The researchers said the weight loss was probably linked to lowered levels
    > > of insulin, which was born out by measurements of glucose levels. "
    > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3439391.stm

  14. Doe

    Doe Guest

    >Subject: Grapefruit lowers BG?
    >From: [email protected] (Brad Sheppard)
    >Date: 1/30/2004 7:40 PM Mountain Standard Time
    >
    >I'm going out and buy some grapefruit juice - "The participants drinking grapefruit juice lost an
    >average of 3.3 pounds. But those in the control group who consumed no grapefruit only lost an
    >average of .5 pounds. The researchers said the weight loss was probably linked to lowered levels of
    >insulin, which was born out by measurements of glucose levels. "
    >http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3439391.stm

    THAT is what I suspected.

    The grapefruit is not killing you .. it is the fact when one eats grapefruit .. one needs LESS of a
    med .. and it is the med which kills you.

    Much like the tocopherol studies in which they showed the vitamin E was not killing you .. it is the
    fact the inclusion of vitamin E leads to a lower NEED for meds and the meds killed you.

    Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

  15. Frank Roy

    Frank Roy Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > I take Zocor and have since it came out and still eat my grapefruits with an avocado every day
    > unless I do a guaco-mole`. Nothing has ever happened. I also take BP pill and was warned but it
    > doesn't bother us.
    >
    > Jennifer wrote:
    >
    > > If you're taking any of the cholesterol lowering statins...
    > >
    > > You'll want to nix that grapefruit.

    In Merck's advertisement for Zocor is a warning concerning consuming "large quantities of grapefruit
    juice (greater than 1 quart daily), particularly with higher doses of Zocor." It does not say not to
    use grapefruit juice, but rather not take to higher amounts of it.

    Frank

  16. Herman Rubin

    Herman Rubin Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    <[email protected]!telus.net> wrote:
    >On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 04:37:56 UTC, Dennis Rekuta <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Hopefully you will continue to play russian roulette with malabsorption of some of your meds, and
    >> then stroke out or have an arrhythmia. Either way, you will then piss off and stop bothering us.

    >Well and succinctly said:) All the lit says don't use grapefruit(which I love) with most
    >cholesterol lowering meds, like Lipitor(which I hate but take). However, if a user wishes to become
    >a luser, c'est la vie.

    You should check this out in your particular case. The danger is that the effect will be increased
    if it is too close together.

    If your physician does not know the nature of the interaction, you need to see one who does.

    --
    This address is for information only. I do not claim that these views are those of the Statistics
    Department or of Purdue University. Herman Rubin, Department of Statistics, Purdue University

  17. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > No problems with years of use. By the way it is my understanding that one must die of something.

    You're right. Should it be our understanding that you are trying to ensure that it doesn't
    take too long?

  18. Joker03

    Joker03 Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 03:20:34 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

    >I take Zocor and have since it came out and still eat my grapefruits with an avocado every day
    >unless I do a guaco-mole`. Nothing has ever happened. I also take BP pill and was warned but it
    >doesn't bother us.

    It figures.

    Your Pal,

    Sleepy

  19. gbritton!

    gbritton! Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 21:22:12 UTC, [email protected] (Herman
    Rubin) wrote:

    > >> Hopefully you will continue to play russian roulette with malabsorption of some of your meds,
    > >> and then stroke out or have an arrhythmia. Either way, you will then piss off and stop
    > >> bothering us.
    >
    > >Well and succinctly said:) All the lit says don't use grapefruit(which I love) with most
    > >cholesterol lowering meds, like Lipitor(which I hate but take). However, if a user wishes to
    > >become a luser, c'est la vie.
    >
    > You should check this out in your particular case. The danger is that the effect will be increased
    > if it is too close together.

    I hope you didn"t have to pay too much to register to be an idiot. I use Lipitor, and it works. I no
    longer eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice. I don't consume any grapefruit in any for
    whatsoever.

    Try to learn to read before typing.

    --

  20. Joker03

    Joker03 Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 08:42:04 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

    >No problems with years of use. By the way it is my understanding that one must die of something.

    I know I am going to die of something, but there are a funner ways to gamble ones life than
    drinking GFJ

    You Pal,

    Sleepy